Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
SavageCorona

Zandronum with crossover cable?

Me and my friend at school want to play Doom together, but the only solution we can find to having no internet is to play splitscreen on Remood. However, this is very awkward as we don't have a controller and we had to set up the controls for each side of the keyboard, which is very awkward, plus the laptop is widescreen, and it splits horizontally, making it difficult to see anything.

I was wondering if it was possible to play Zandronum through a crossover cable. I have one, I managed to play Quake with my dad when I plugged it into the hub's network, but that worked because it was on the same dynamic IP address and network.

I know Zandronum can run servers via LAN, but that requires an IP, which means setting a fixed IP, then when I get home, changing it back to its dynamic IP for using it on the wifi/ethernet to play online.

However, is it possible to run a Zandronum server through a crossover cable without having to faff about with the IPs, since he's not very good at computers and I can't use his computer for crap. Basically, I mean using something like Quake had, ie. IPX, where I can just start up a server and he can connect to it without setting up anything.

I'm also pondering on the legality of putting Zandronum with the Doom wads on a flash drive to plug into his computer so he can play it, then take it back when we're done, since he doesn't technically own Doom, or would he have to buy it from Steam?

If Zandronum doesn't support this, are there any source ports which have IPX something similar to IPX? Preferably one with 720p widescreen resolutions, mod support and OpenGL, I've really grown to dislike that pixellated look it has.

Two computers connected to each other directly with a crossover cable should be completely identical to two computers connected to a LAN hub/switch. Whatever works for one, works for the other.

As for the software itself, I have no clue.

I'm talking about the actual commercial Doom wads, ie. DOOM.WAD, DOOM2.WAD etc. so I'm not sure if it is legal to even put those on flash drives to put in other computers, whether or not he takes it off and puts it on his computer.

But anyway, my dad was saying that we'd need to set up fixed IP addresses to play over TCP/IP connections, but I'm not sure if he meant that as modern LAN play, as he lives in the 90s where TCP/IP was LAN play.

SavageCorona said:

I'm talking about the actual commercial Doom wads, ie. DOOM.WAD, DOOM2.WAD etc. so I'm not sure if it is legal to even put those on flash drives to put in other computers, whether or not he takes it off and puts it on his computer.

If you ever dare to even think of doing such a thing, you will be promptly reported by an extensive network of informants and whistleblowers, among others, to the FBI, the CIA, the NSA, the IRS, the Delta Force, the NAVY Seals, the USMC, the KKK, the Stasi, the Gestapo, the MI6, the KGB, the NKVD, the Sigrimi, the Securitate, the Khmer Rouge, the NKPA, the Simon Wiesenthal Institute, the Mossad and the Tonton Macoute.

SavageCorona said:

So it's illegal for him to run Doom off a flash drive if he doesn't own it?

Bingo, though Maes might have exaggerated a bit. Strictly speaking, sharing IWADS with someone who doesn't own the game is illegal and pretty much taboo. Yes, you could do it, but telling us will incur the wrath of the mighty, and you shall be struck down unfaithful sinner

:P

In theory it's illegal even giving a mixtape or an MP3 to your buddies, but "fair use" still applies in those cases, despite the RIAA's best efforts.

For computer software however, they managed to have their way: in theory, you need to purchase a license to install and run a software on anybody's computer -as if it were possible to check all the time on everyone, especially in the privacy (?) of their own homes.

In practice, it's no different than doing drugs with your buddies in private: unless your "friend" is a fucking snitch or a raving neolib accusing you of "harming the economy" by NOT allowing him to buy a copy, you won't have a problem, as long as you don't start selling the stuff for money and everybody knows about it.

AndrewB said:

Two computers connected to each other directly with a crossover cable should be completely identical to two computers connected to a LAN hub/switch. Whatever works for one, works for the other.

This is true if both computers are on the same subnet to begin with. It's possible that connecting the computers to a hub or switch that is also connected to a DHCP enabled router will correct subnet mismatch, whereas a crossover cable won't do this (unless for some weird reason, one of the computers is running a DHCP server). [/pedantic]

These computers have never been connected and there is no internet available in school. I don't even understand what you just said.

Maes said:

In theory it's illegal even giving a mixtape or an MP3 to your buddies, but "fair use" still applies in those cases, despite the RIAA's best efforts.

For computer software however, they managed to have their way: in theory, you need to purchase a license to install and run a software on anybody's computer -as if it were possible to check all the time on everyone, especially in the privacy (?) of their own homes.

In practice, it's no different than doing drugs with your buddies in private: unless your "friend" is a fucking snitch or a raving neolib accusing you of "harming the economy" by NOT allowing him to buy a copy, you won't have a problem, as long as you don't start selling the stuff for money and everybody knows about it.

I literally meant putting a Zandronum installation with the Doom wads in it so it will run on a flash drive, but then taking it back when we're done, so he's borrowing the game technically, since I'm taking it back because I own it. It's also in the school's common room, where we're allowed to do what we want within reason and he wouldn't snitch about it. I wasn't intending on putting the installation on his computer (ie. letting him steal it, which is very wrong indeed.), and I don't see how I would "stop him from buying it", since all he has to do is get Steam and buy Doom. All I can stop him from doing is copying the data onto his computer, by word or by (brute?) force.

SavageCorona said:

These computers have never been connected and there is no internet available in school. I don't even understand what you just said.

I literally meant putting a Zandronum installation with the Doom wads in it so it will run on a flash drive, but then taking it back when we're done, so he's borrowing the game technically, since I'm taking it back because I own it. It's also in the school's common room, where we're allowed to do what we want within reason and he wouldn't snitch about it. I wasn't intending on putting the installation on his computer (ie. letting him steal it, which is very wrong indeed.), and I don't see how I would "stop him from buying it", since all he has to do is get Steam and buy Doom.

In all honesty, no one is going to come crashing down on you or haul you into court. Read what Maes said - You can do it and be just fine, but by letter of the law, you are not supposed to share it (or is it just distribute it?) with anyone who hasn't paid for the game (and therein, the license). There are no magical alarms attached to running Doom on another computer, and most likely not a single person will give a crap about it if they see you doing it. By actual law, you are not supposed to. Think of it like jay walking - you're not supposed to do it by law, but no one is going to fine or arrest you if they see you doing it.

Except us vigilant Doomers on Doomworld ;)

In relation to what exp(x) said, he's talking about the IP Addresses for your machines. Since they've never been connected and don't have any prior settings I would assume all you have to do is assign them your own private network addresses and just go from there, since you aren't connecting to any other network whatsoever.

Kirby said:

Except us vigilant Doomers on Doomworld ;)

In relation to what dew said, he's talking about the IP Addresses for your machines. Since they've never been connected and don't have any prior settings I would assume all you have to do is assign them your own private network addresses and just go from there, since you aren't connecting to any other network whatsoever.

Dayum I hope nobody goes to my school here.

My dad did mention about making some sort of network, but I couldn't do it as he isn't here right now to connect them together.

exp(x) said:

This is true if both computers are on the same subnet to begin with. It's possible that connecting the computers to a hub or switch that is also connected to a DHCP enabled router

Like I said, two computers connected directly via crossover is identical to two computers connected to a hub/switch.

I didn't say that it's identical to two computers connected to a hub/switch connected to a router.

AndrewB said:

Like I said, two computers connected directly via crossover is identical to two computers connected to a hub/switch.

I didn't say that it's identical to two computers connected to a hub/switch connected to a router.

Ok, and?

And you said "This is true if ..." which implies that there's an associated "This is false if..."

Kinda like me saying "2x = 4 when x = 2", and then you saying "This is false if x is anything other than 2."

Um, so, like, will I need to set up anything if I want to play Zandronum across 2 computers with a crossover cable and no form of internet connection of any description or not?

SavageCorona said:

Um, so, like, will I need to set up anything if I want to play Zandronum across 2 computers with a crossover cable and no form of internet connection of any description or not?

Maybe, maybe not. This was the point of my original response. There is a decent chance that the computers are already configured to be on the same subnet, in which case a crossover cable should simply work.

AndrewB said:

Kinda like me saying "2x = 4 when x = 2", and then you saying "This is false if x is anything other than 2."

FTFY

Somebody asks about how to use a link-local connection and we're talking about warez? Completely off-topic.

When connected with a cross-over cable, the two computers should both have a "link-local IP address". Doing this will not save you from worrying about IP addresses, as the program can only communicate via IP protocol (either UDP or TCP/IP).

On each computer, go to the Run box, type in "cmd". In the command box that results, type "ipconfig". It should show the IP address of that computer. That is the IP to which the other computer must connect. Since Zandronum is client/server somebody's going to have to run the server. The clients will then connect to it. If a Zandronum client can also act as a server (I have no idea if this is the case or not) then whoever is running the server can use it as their client as well. If not, then three total processes will need to be running. On your own machine you'd need to know what port the server runs on and connect to 127.0.0.1:portnumberhere.

Quasar said:

Somebody asks about how to use a link-local connection and we're talking about warez? Completely off-topic.

Read the OP again. Second to last paragraph.

exp(x) said:

Read the OP again. Second to last paragraph.

Yeah but, who cares. You think people didn't do that back in the day? "Loan" a game out long enough for people to play it via multiplayer? Quake 2 was specifically designed even to tolerate a certain number of "unlicensed" nodes in a netgame as a sort of courtesy.

Only now in this age of DRM insanity are we suddenly so uptight as to suggest this is a problem.

Total Annihilation let you install copies of the game for multiplayer only. One CD could easily set up a nice LAN game. Westwood used to package their C&C games with the suggestion you loan one of the CDs to a friend and play together. Oh, how times have changed! (Now you're lucky if a C&C game doesn't decide you're pirating that boxed copy and prevent you from playing altogether.)

Quasar said:

Yeah but, who cares. You think people didn't do that back in the day?

SavageCorona cared enough to ask. And that was what we just explained to him. He literally asked the question "is it legal?" and we answered him, followed by you citing us for being "off-topic" when that was a legitimate part of his original post. He cared enough to ask the question and we answered it, albeit with some excess information he may or may not have needed. Just because no one cares doesn't mean he shouldn't be informed about it.
[/off-topic off-topicness]

I just had to scroll through a full page of yammering about the horrible act of installing a copy of Doom II on another computer to see that nobody had yet offered any advice on how you use a cross-over link. That was very irritating to me.

Very understandable, though even if it's annoying and hard to read through I think OP was enlightened by it, which is the important part.

And in all honesty I wanted to tell him to go check his IPv4 settings to get/assign an address, but wasn't sure if that was the surefire way to do it. And I got lazy after the fact and drank some beer instead of Googling whether that would work :P