Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
baronofheck82

Keyboard help

All of a sudden, today, my down arrow on my keyboard decided to quit. Left, right and up work.
Down does not.
This makes hard to play Doom, as you might imagine, and it sucks in general, of course.
So, any suggestions?

if I'm playing with keyboard only this is what I generally do:

W - forward
S - back
A - strafe left
D - strafe right
left - turn left
right - turn right
up - shoot
space - use

doesn't use the down arrow, which is convenient for your situation :)

Ribbiks said:
left - turn left
right - turn right
up - shoot

So you're shooting with the middle finger? Or do you use your index for both turn left and shoot?

Even though it's counterintuitive, I'm doing "left - shoot, down - turn left, right - turn right" so I can shoot with my index and keep all three fingers on the keys and my hand in a rested position. Come to think of it, "left - shoot, up - turn left, right - turn right" would make more sense, the middle finger being longer.

The lefty approach seemed to be superior to all (mouse on the left, use the numpad for movement), but despite being a lefty I could never get used to it.

fraggle said:

Just buy a new keyboard

Yeah considering they are dirt cheap, a half-decent keyboard is around $15nzd (a logitech k120 btw)

As everybody else is saying, WASD or new keyboard.

Forgive my ignorance, but I don't get it. What's the difference between that and a "normal" keyboard? In that site it tells me that they are entirely customizable, but can't I do the same with a standard one? The only real difference I could notice was the lack of a numeric keypad on some of them. Am I missing something?

EDIT: Quote deleted, it wasn't necessary.

Zed said:

Forgive my ignorance, but I don't get it. What's the difference between that and a "normal" keyboard? In that site it tells me that they are entirely customizable, but can't I do the same with a standard one? The only real difference I could notice was the lack of a numeric keypad on some of them. Am I missing something?

EDIT: Quote deleted, it wasn't necessary.

http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/mechanical-keyboard-guide

Basically, if you need keyboards that are fast, precise and loud as fuck you got to go for mechanical. In any other case, don't bother.

Just go to any junk/thrift store and buy any keyboard old enough NOT to have the "Windows Keys" on it*, and having a big-ass connector. Get an adapter, and hey presto, vintage keyboard Dooming The Way It Was Meant To Be (TM).

Spoiler

* Exceptions apply: there were cheap-ass keyboards back then too, and there were better made keyboards even after that. You really have to weigh/try them to see which is which. IN general "good" keyboards will also be heavier

Jodwin said:

http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/mechanical-keyboard-guide

Basically, if you need keyboards that are fast, precise and loud as fuck you got to go for mechanical. In any other case, don't bother.

That explains it properly. Thanks.

Maes said:

Dooming The Way It Was Meant To Be (TM).

This should be the title for the next community megawad.

A number of years ago I ejaculated on my keyboard's arrow key and the board completely shorted out. I tried washing the goo out from under a faucets but to no avail. I've previously used this same technique when washing diet coke out of it, but semen? Nope.

True story.

The closest I've been to that is when I puked all over my keyboard while drunk. I had to buy a new one. Did you manage to clean up the mess?