Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Archi

First-try Demo Contest #11

blah wont publish it, really sucks, gave up when I almost reached exit, but as usual there are 25min waiting for me to find the last door/switch to activate... I'm the best at getting lost :) so when I died at the new custom enemies and restarted I was already on 0 motivation to retry ;(
map was mazy but for sure interesting btw

Okay, I've tried it , and ugh...
I was unable to make it to the end...

Actually, I died lots of time, until I was able to find out how to go outside once you get the red key :( !

And then... Died.

Uploaded because it was fun to do that on TS3 :D

Oh wow... Now that's the kind of map I like to see on FDC. Long and moderately challenging, with multiple routes so you can play differently if you die (which makes replaying less frustrating). That crusher hallway was a bit dickish though and overall the map could have been a bit less confusing. But still, very nice work, it was really exciting to participate!

Looking forward to the results. :)

Well, I spent about 90 min for it.
This map itself is so nice, but the exit was not clear. I don't notice the exit was it when I reached it first time, then I returned, died, and restated from the start area, though my intuition was bad. After 30 min, I managed to finish it. It's definitely my worst FDA.

3 hours past, here's reuslts:

First-try Demo Contest #11
31 August 2013, 19:00 MSK

fueldevr.wad by Archi and c4tnt
map 01, skill 4, complevel 2

===========================================================================
UV league

$  Player           Total   Deaths   Last   Kil-Sec  Filename   Upload  Penalty
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

1  JCD              44:10     1      35:10  100-20   fdc11jcd     +5       0
2  Memfis           50:16     2      23:19   87-40   fdc11mem     +3       0
3  Darkwave0000     52:09     2      23:29   83-30   fdc11dar     +2       0

4  tatsurd-cacocaco 85:59     6      17:03   77-10   fdc11tat     +5       0
5  Plut            110:09     3      59:29  102-30   fdc11plu     +1       0

Ch0wW            52:29     7      DNF     -       fdc11ch0     +4       -
   MG86             47:36    12      DNF     -       fdc11MG8     +4       -

HMP league

$  Player           Total   Deaths   Last   Kil-Sec  Filename   Upload  Penalty

No players

Details:
http://i.iddqd.ru/viewtopic.php?t=7272
http://www.doomworld.com/vb/doom-speed-demos/65328-first-try-demo-contest-11/
I've excluded anonymous demos, since I don't know who is autor.

Congratulations to winners! And thanks for everybody who participated - I wish you liked the map and contest overall.

Here's the demos: http://www.mediafire.com/download/szsb4rsnan5ewc0/fdc11.zip

Congrats to winners and to all who weren't wimps like me and joined.

But I'm posting to ask if this ultra-epic-superb map is gonna go to archives, get further developed, or anything? Because this is certainly award-worthy masterpiece. If I can ask, how long did you spend on it, how (thoroughly) it was playtested, any interesting background behind this map?

(sorry for my general ignorance for the contest itself but I'm just no speedrunner)

scifista42 said:

Congrats to winners and to all who weren't wimps like me and joined.

But I'm posting to ask if this ultra-epic-superb map is gonna go to archives, get further developed, or anything? Because this is certainly award-worthy masterpiece. If I can ask, how long did you spend on it, how (thoroughly) it was playtested, any interesting background behind this map?

(sorry for my general ignorance for the contest itself but I'm just no speedrunner)

Thanks.

I am gonna make a new thread about this map in Wads and Mods later. It was done in about 1.5 months, but productivity was about 1-3 days of mapping in a week, so I don't remember, how much time was spent.
It wasn't playtested very well at all, I was just playing it to finish many times and trying to find bugs(I don't know how it was tested by c4tnt and BND, maybe the same way).
Interesting thing is that it was grossed about as twice as it was planned.

I would have joined in but my laptop has been experiencing very frequent crashes now, so I won't be recording demos for a long time. Last month I was experiencing crashes with ZDoom during games but now more recently PrBoom + due to the laptop's age. It looked like a hell of a lot of fun. I may be able to record demos again on my old desktop once I work out how to use Linux more in depth.

TimeOfDeath said:

I was cutting grass. :/

Hopefully, not mixing glass and other stuff to make the bag weigh more.....

I figured I'd test myself against the winners by recording a demo contest-style, and I spent at least 20 minutes just dying embarrassingly. So, congrats to JCD.

-Is this contest held monthly?
-If so is it on the same date?
-Is their a prize?

Can you please elaborate on this part in the instructions, doesn't make much sense.

Archi said:

Time gap between total time of the demo and the demo upload time must not exceed 5 minutes.

[/b]

- There is no schedule. Usually a contest is held when someone proposes to donate a map and at least a few people on the Russian forum show interest in participating. Then we create a thread here on Doomworld to ask people what date\time they would prefer, etc. Last time I also asked FranckFRAG to promote the event on the French boards, which seemed to work rather well: most participants were from France.

- There is no prize. Well, on the Russian forum we have this silly thing called "rating" and I think first three winners get +150/100/50 to rating or something like that. So just e-peen basically, personally I don't care about it at all...

- That part you quoted means that after you finish playing, you should send the demo in 5 minutes or less. And you must start playing as soon as the password is revealed. This is to prevent people from learning the map in editor, practicing it, etc, and only then recording a FDA. Well, it's not like anyone would cheat just for that e-peen stuff on some Russian forum, so maybe this rule should be dropped, but I think many Russian doomers will disagree (or not?).

By the way if anyone else wants to organize another FDC event, feel free to do so. We don't claim any "rights" to it (I think?) and would welcome other people taking the initiative. It would be great if FDC became a more frequent event.

Just bumping this thread because I love the idea and would like to see more come out of it. Is this actively being planned for another session or are we waiting on something or what? World Extermination Radio would like to promote this :)

Need a good map. Phml sent something (thanks) but it looked too small to me, I wouldn't be very glad to win by beating a level in 5 minutes, even if it's challenging.

I don't know if it's ok to share these maps... They were made by ArmouredBlood so ask him or Phml?

I don't think he would mind but you should definitely ask AB. I'm just the guy who played those and decided to butt in.

Memfis said:

Need a good map. Phml sent something (thanks) but it looked too small to me, I wouldn't be very glad to win by beating a level in 5 minutes, even if it's challenging.

Would it be practical to post a thread in Wads And Mods then? Maybe a speedmapping FDA map contest for the FDA Contest?

Just be sure to elaborate on the details on what makes a map eligible to be in the contest? I'm sure those details are somewhere in this thread.

Also what your opinion on using Slige, Oblige, or Obhack for the contest, just to get some awareness?

The latest test build of Oblige in the forums is good enough to put most new time mappers out of business, it crafts magnificent caverns as though they were hand drawn for instance.

I posted a thread like that here before, didn't get any maps I think. I dunno, I don't feel like making another one.
I personally wouldn't enjoy playing computer generated maps (don't see the appeal at all) or average speedmaps in FDC. I'd prefer really good, memorable and well designed levels since this event is a bit special. I'd hate to see the quality standards lower.
But as I said, I'm just some random guy, I don't "own" FDC, so if you're so enthusiastic about this you can advertise the idea, gather maps and organise events by yourself... Anyone can.

if someone can enumerate the attributes of a map that makes for a good FDC I might take a crack at it.

- estimated playtime?
- relative difficulty?
- no rapey traps and/or things that are easily fuckupable on blind playthroughs?
- cl2 or 9?
- since goal is just to exit, not max it, are exploratory/heavily-nonlinear maps preferred?

Memfis said:

I personally wouldn't enjoy playing computer generated maps (don't see the appeal at all) or average speedmaps in FDC.

+1
Do you really guys will enjoy playing stupid Oblige's maps filled with tons of monsters by someone? Ugh! Map for FDC must be good and, as far as possible, special.
Just my opinion.

Ribbiks said:

if someone can enumerate the attributes of a map that makes for a good FDC

In my opinion:
- It should take people at least 15-20 minutes to beat on the first try. There just isn't enough sense of accomplishment when you beat a map in like 10 minutes I think. Just reaching the exit should feel like a small victory.
- Somewhat challenging but definitely not rapey like Sunder. Preferrably very few traps requiring almost instant reaction from the player, try to always give at least some time to think how to approach a tricky fight. I think something like Plutonia (e.g. map23) would be ideal in terms of difficulty. Also a few people have said that Eternal's events were always the best FDCs (baker's dozen map01, gravity map01, nordhell map01, amok) and I pretty much agree.
- Give the player some choices, especially at the start. I find redoing exactly the same thing after death very discouraging. Although some may argue that linearity is good since it reduces the luck factor (in a nonlinear map some people probably will select a better route just by chance).
- cl 2/9 doesn't really matter imo, we've had maps for both and I don't remember anyone complaining about this stuff. Some people (myk, Hitherto...) will appreciate compatibility with original exes or at least Doom2+, if you feel like putting extra effort into this.

But of course no FDC should be without surprises. :) Trying to adapt to these attributes is good but we don't want totally soulless maps that guarantee a safe and comfortable experience for everyone. So sometimes it's ok to have a short map (fdcm10.wad), or a longer than usual map (fdcm8.wad), or a really really confusing map (fdc6.wad), or even more than one map (Eternal's amok.wad). Some variety and experimentation is always welcome, just try not to go overboard.

And if you make something, maybe try to add HMP settings like in FDC11. Not many people selected it last time but some weren't able to beat the map on UV so maybe now the will select the 3rd difficulty.

I'd vouch for selecting another Eternal map! There are definitely a few which come to mind from distant memories which fit this event, they were non-linear, large, had multiple routes and even if you take it slow and steady their are surprise traps.