What should I get?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. What should I get?

• A PC-based notebook
    • An iBook
    • A new computer
    • Ice-cream

Weedster said:

One guy who sits behind in my English class at school makes his own music (orchestral, I might add, he's brilliant). He always talks to me about how much he enjoys his MIDI keyboard. I've heard some of his work. Let me just say that he'd make a more than decent living as a conductor. The instrumentation is wonderful, and this is coming from a guy who's more of a pop-culture lover than high-culture.

So, what does that have to do with a Mac being better? He just likes the Mac version of the software better than a PC version? Or finds it easier to use? That's just personal preference, not any kind of speed/performance statistic.

IMJack said:

Macs: Art & design machines. PCs: Programming and business machines. That's about all there is to it.

That's wrong though. It's a stereotypical generalization, and you're not supporting it by anything.

Why are macs bad for programming? Why are PCs good?

The Mac is an art platform just because of the stupid fact that most artists don't want to learn how to handle a computer. That is not the case with the new batch of artists. In 6 years this Mac stereotype should be gone for good.

Seriously I'd like to hear some valid points, like dedicated software or specialized hardware. But that's not the case.

Lament said:

Why are macs bad for programming? Why are PCs good?

Bad example. Remember that hot, money-making platform known as Win32?

But yeah the spirit of your post stands.

Zaldron said:

Bad example. Remember that hot, money-making platform known as Win32?

But yeah the spirit of your post stands.

Um. If you mean that programming for windows will get you more money, then yeah. But that doesn't mean that "PCs are better for programming". PCs are better for selling your programs.

I know, that's why I said the example was bad, but the idea was right.

Your work wont get hold of an audience, and that's a problem if you're pursuing a job. A better example would be, say, what's so good about Macs in 2D drawing if both of them share the same goddamn Photoshop.

Lüt said:

So, what does that have to do with a Mac being better? He just likes the Mac version of the software better than a PC version? Or finds it easier to use? That's just personal preference, not any kind of speed/performance statistic.

Never did I say Macs were better PERIOD...I did say before that it's stupid to think that one is better than the other completely; that same guy I mentioned says the exact same thing (actually, I ripped him off, but oh well ;)

Zaldron: Don't movies count as art too?

IMJack said:

Macs: Art & design machines. PCs: Programming and business machines. That's about all there is to it.

Well, if that's true, then I'd rather own a Mac. I mean, I fucking suck at programming and don't plan on ever owning any real business, but I love music and making it (when I don't suck at it). Plus, Trent Reznor made all his music on macs, and if I had acess to making the kind of sounds and mixing he uses, I could make some badass shit.

the_Danarchist said:

Plus, Trent Reznor made all his music on macs, and if I had acess to making the kind of sounds and mixing he uses, I could make some badass shit.

You mean the terrible, cacophonic sound of screeching fingers on a chalkboard and whispering gibberish with no discernable pattern? Yeah....worthy of an Oscar :P

I can convert windows to mac, but it takes a tesla coil, and a big magnet. And a hammer.

Weedster said:

You mean the terrible, cacophonic sound of screeching fingers on a chalkboard and whispering gibberish with no discernable pattern? Yeah....worthy of an Oscar :P

You idiot, musicians don't win Oscars!

the_Danarchist said:

Plus, Trent Reznor made all his music on macs

Well that might explain his problem then =)

Submerge said:

I can convert windows to mac, but it takes a tesla coil, and a big magnet. And a hammer.

No you can't. Windows is an operating system and macs are hardware. Please.

Lüt said:

Well that might explain his problem then =)

Another Mac hater, eh?

God, you people kill me.

Weedster said:

Another Mac hater, eh?

Not really, I mean from what I know they're decent, just not as good as PCs. They were better for some graphics apps at one point, but that point is pretty long gone.

I just don't have a use for one, even though I have this PowerPC G3 sitting down here.