Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TimeOfDeath

The Floor Below (vanilla doom compatible)

Download: The Floor Below (E1M1 -complevel 2)

Tried making a map compatible with the original vanilla Doom using choco render limits, stock textures, original doom line actions, etc. Added some tricks you've probably already seen before, except maybe the underwater part.

Hi, I died a few times and then fell of the elevator and got stuck. Don't know if that's fixable because you've got a lot of clever stuff going on.
http://www.mediafire.com/?o37c34793wxv1s3

Also was D_E1M8 supposed to be renamed to D_E1M1?

Probably too hard for me to beat without saving because I'm a wimp, but I like what I saw so far.

EDIT: Impossible for me to beat without saving, in a million years. But I'm enjoying it anyhow.

hihi. blah. I didn't get stuck like others apparently, I just died the good old fashioned way. Anyways, very impressive effects, especially without boom shenanigans. Gameplay was great too, it's very rare that a doom1 map can hold my attention. Dickish traps! some very mean baron usage, I like it. I was able to 'guess' right enough times to survive as long as I did, but wasn't expecting the room to completely discombobulate after the YK :)

Map looks extremely fun so far, will play again with saves. maybe I'll try to get a max demo that will inevitably be worse than when you decide to record on it :p

A TimeOfDeath map with only Doom 1 monsters? Can't be that hard right??

"Gruelling" is the only word I have for that, it's way past my skill level. Still I pushed on, and through copious saves and even more deaths, beat it in the end. Visually it's extremely impressive, even more so considering it's vanilla-compatible, though I also found it "harsh" because of the use of REDWALL1 in so many places and the full bright/dark contrast. However this is an appropriate look for this kind of level. There were many times I had to remind myself that I was just playing a vanilla level, given the number of architectural tricks.

I assume you know this, but it's quite easy to avoid the slime area and the crusher gallery entirely.

Great level overall, but best for good players or masochists. Hope to see some demos on this.

I thought it'd be really funny if you called it The Room Below. since you know, you can't have rooms below you in vanilla Doom.

or was that the joke anyways and im slow?

Wow. Architectural-wise it looks pretty impressive. I will give this a try when I get home.

Thanks for playing/FDAs/etc. Yeah I forgot to change D_E1M8 music, my comp doesn't have a sound card so I didn't even notice. Weird, I never got stuck like that while testing, but I made the bottom sector damaging now and re-uploaded. Ribbiks, you made it pretty far even with those anti-FDA traps! Foofoo, yeah that's the joke, like how buildings have different floors/stories, but I like "the room below" better so I hope it's ok if I steal that title and rename this wad.

I'm trying for a max demo but the farthest I got so far was the room in the 5th picture in the OP.

Hah, I was wondering. "TimeOfDeath needs a breather on his own map?"
Anyhow, great run, very effective BFG use against all those Barons.

played two days ago, another puzzle slaughter map as ToD canon, very cool architecture and lots of awesome vanilla engine tricks!

Anyway, here we go with the bugs i found on this (played on vanilla doom.exe with dosbox):

- Map flows fine for the big part of the level, but in some parts the map goes very slowly...

- the door that leads to the yellow key in the magic staircase room doesn't work from the stair side. For better understanding:

- Here's a full album of fancy HOM and slime trails

Pretty sure PrBoom+ is still limit-removing, even with -complevel 2. Did you try it in Chocolate Doom?

Yes, some of the sky horizons are also HOMing in chocodoom but I don't understand why. They aren't breaking any limits so I'm guessing it's something specific about the sky horizons.

just a question: did put the f_sky1 sector directly to the attached non sky sectors?

like this: http://i.imgur.com/NEpSZ9X.png

if is that the way you did, you must put a sub-sector in the sky sector of the size of the "reference" main room sector (for example if sector 1 is tall 0-128 you had to do your subsector of sector 2 of that height)...

i hope it could be helpful and easy to undestand...

Thanks for the replies, removing f_sky from the floors took the HOMs away in chocodoom. Btw walter, that door to the yellow key opens from a switch. :)