Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Valkhorn

Let's Play Heretic: Shadow of the Serpent Riders

I forgot to let you guys know about my next Let's Play project... for...

There are five episodes, so I should be doing this all month.

Heretic - Shadow of the Serpent Riders
Released in 1994 by Raven Software

The Back Story:
The world of Parthoris was populated by many people who divided themselves into seven great nations, as well as the mystic Sidhe elves. It was these elves who kept the Tomes of Power and the sacred candle flames which eternally burned to represent the armies of the world.

The Sidhe believed in a prophecy of Armageddon, and their prophecy ultimately proved itself true when from the east came the three terrible Serpent Riders cloaked in black. They were great sorcerers, and they demonstrated their power by quelling the wars of the eastern provinces. Soon the men of the seven nations turned to their worship and built a great temple in their honor. Upon the temple was the Sign, a crossed trident, and the worshipers came to call themselves the Order of the Sign.

The deeper into reverence of the Riders' dark ways they fell, the more they were sapped of their free will and spirit. Once all of the seven realms were theirs, the two eldest Riders departed, leaving D'Sparil alone to prepare the world for destruction. Recognizing the fulfillment of prophecy, the Sidhe refused to follow in the worship of D'Sparil and thus they were set apart from the other people of the world. Once sacred guardians, they were now heretics, hunted and hated everywhere they went.

D'Sparil's disciples turned the minds of the seven kings toward conquest of the Sidhe realm, and when the Seven Armies marched upon them, the Sidhe Elders extinguished the sacred flames, destroying them all. D'Sparil was enraged and in the chamber of the Elders he stirred up a storm of white-hot flame, killing them all. The earth burst open beneath their charred bodies and from within poured legions of the undead as well as murderous beasts from worlds beyond. This new army overwhelmed the Sidhe and slaughtered them in untold numbers. In only one day, their civilization was destroyed and their survivors were scattered far and wide. The darkling creatures had carried off the Tomes of Power and the other artifacts of the Sidhe as spoils of war. Left defenseless, it was surely only a matter of time before all Sidhe perished under the Order of the Triad's unyielding fury.

Most of the few remaining Sidhe hid themselves away, but Corvus was determined to have revenge. Heading east into the wilderness he came upon the City of the Damned, where the very air reeked with rot and decay and the only sounds were the screams of foul creatures seeking his blood. Armed only with his staff and Elven Wand, he had little hope to survive. So began the downfall of D'Sparil and the salvation of Parthoris.

The Game:
Using the same graphics engine as Doom, but with added enhancements, Heretic places the player in a medieval atmosphere rife with monsters, magic, and mayhem. I will be doing live commentary, and I will be using the GZDoom port. Also, I'm open to co-commentary if anyone wants to join in on their favorite level - although I'm not 100% sure yet how I'll set that up.

Difficulty Level:
Just to clarify - there are two reasons why I did NOT choose the 5th difficulty level and stuck with "Thou Art a Smite-meister"...

• It disables cheats. There may be some levels where I'll want to noclip after they're done to display little known things about the design I find interesting. There are also a couple of funny things regarding cheat codes as well. I will not cheat to beat the game, though.
  • I don't want to fly through the levels. This is not a speed run. This is not a race.
Also, I do not wish to fly through the levels simply because people who've never played the game before will be lost and will have no clue where I am. This is why I bring up the map so often. It's for my benefit as well as your own. There are plenty of speed run videos out there of this game with or without commentary. This isn't going to be one.

City of the Damned:Hell's Maw:The Domes of D'SparilThe Ossuary
The Stagnant Demesne

Are you playing alone or with a friend? Nice to see someone well prepared and giving enough info for interested followers. Looking forward to this project.

Valkhorn said:

Difficulty Level:
Just to clarify - there are two reasons why I did NOT choose the 5th difficulty level and stuck with "Thou Art a Smite-meister"...

• It disables cheats. There may be some levels where I'll want to noclip after they're done to display little known things about the design I find interesting. There are also a couple of funny things regarding cheat codes as well. I will not cheat to beat the game, though.
  • I don't want to fly through the levels. This is not a speed run. This is not a race.[/b]

FYI, you can still cheat with GZDoom by using the console. (perhaps you need to set some options to allow it, I can't remember.) I don't know what you mean by "fly through the levels," if you're talking about about having to rush through them quickly, enemies don't respawn in Raven games on any difficulty unless you use -respawn (or the equivalent ZDoom setting). So there's no hurry.

I'm not saying you should or shouldn't do skill 5, just wanted to clarify things.

I'll check some of your videos out, Heretic is definitely undervalued these days.

Waffenak said:

Are you playing alone or with a friend? Nice to see someone well prepared and giving enough info for interested followers. Looking forward to this project.

I'm doing it alone. I'm open to a co-op or deathmatch let's play in the future though.

FYI, you can still cheat with GZDoom by using the console. (perhaps you need to set some options to allow it, I can't remember.) I don't know what you mean by "fly through the levels," if you're talking about about having to rush through them quickly, enemies don't respawn in Raven games on any difficulty unless you use -respawn (or the equivalent ZDoom setting). So there's no hurry.

I'm not saying you should or shouldn't do skill 5, just wanted to clarify things.

I'll check some of your videos out, Heretic is definitely undervalued these days.

Thanks for the correction. I could use the console but if I do use cheats I'd like to use whatever was used in vanilla Heretic - for continuity's sake.

Thanks for watching! I'm also open to any ideas.

Valkhorn said:

Thanks for the correction. I could use the console but if I do use cheats I'd like to use whatever was used in vanilla Heretic - for continuity's sake.

Understandable. I can never remember the right codes for Heretic anyhow, any time I test something in Chocolate Heretic I have to write them down :p

Thanks for watching! I'm also open to any ideas.

Well I'm not exactly the target audience for this but it's not bad. Two points that came to mind after watching the first two videos:

* Your voice is panned off to the left, which is weird to listen to for a long time on headphones.

* You make a few fast and large turns, where the screen basically jumps from one viewpoint to another, which might be disorienting to someone unfamiliar with the maps.

plums said:

Understandable. I can never remember the right codes for Heretic anyhow, any time I test something in Chocolate Heretic I have to write them down :p

Well I'm not exactly the target audience for this but it's not bad. Two points that came to mind after watching the first two videos:

* Your voice is panned off to the left, which is weird to listen to for a long time on headphones.

* You make a few fast and large turns, where the screen basically jumps from one viewpoint to another, which might be disorienting to someone unfamiliar with the maps.

It's a mic problem that I fixed after the 4th episode. I also wasn't aware of the panning, but thanks for telling me about that. I'll try to make things a little more smoother.

Avoozl said:

But aren't the last two episodes just filler?

I've never played them so I'm going to find out. I tested the first level of episode 4 and it didn't seem that much like filler.

If they suck, then I'll find some way to make them interesting. If they're fast, then I'll just get through them faster.

They're full episodes though.

Avoozl said:

The last two episodes are the shadow of the serpent riders DLC expansion pack that was released later for free. I don't know if you call that filler. They are nothing more than new levels though.

The game doesn't really feel complete for me without the last two episdoes anymore. E5M7 in particular is beautiful.

Wagi said:

The game doesn't really feel complete for me without the last two episdoes anymore. E5M7 in particular is beautiful.

I can't wait to get there and see it :)

By the way, I want to do a LP of Hexen sometime in the future as well if anyone is interested.

I love the last two episodes of Heretic. There are a few duds in there, and E5M8 especially was a letdown, but otherwise I think they're great. Definitely harder than the first three, especially on skill 5.

Avoozl said:

IMHO, "Thy flesh consumed" feels more like a filler than last 2 episodes in H:SotSR (this post is probably is a candidate for the Doom confesional booth).

"COCKADOODLEDOO" is the best of them all.

Fernito said:

IMHO, "Thy flesh consumed" feels more like a filler than last 2 episodes in H:SotSR (this post is probably is a candidate for the Doom confesional booth).

Thy Flesh Consumed has some great moments but as a whole it feels like what it is: a bunch of separate maps thrown together. E4/E5 of Heretic feel like they have at least some cohesion, even if they feel like add-ons plot-wise as much as TFC.

"COCKADOODLEDOO" is the best of them all.

* Shoot enemies with Morph Ovum
* Type 'cockadoodledoo'
* THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE!

plums said:

Thy Flesh Consumed has some great moments but as a whole it feels like what it is: a bunch of separate maps thrown together. E4/E5 of Heretic feel like they have at least some cohesion, even if they feel like add-ons plot-wise as much as TFC.

At least there was a (sorta) new sky in TFC. And a new ending pic - something that even Doom 2 lacked. Besides, it should be relatively easy to make a cohesive level set with Heretic resourses.

plums said:

* THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE!

In VikingBoyBilly's coop run with Paramultart, several levels ended with them turning each other into chickens. At least once, they had a chicken duel to see who could peck the other one to death first.

Thanks for all the discussion. I think I might do a bonus episode with the cheat codes now that I think about it.

I've never played episodes 5 and 6, so I look forward to seeing what those are about.

Next video is up...

Part 012 - E2M3: The River of Fire

The title of this level is very descriptive, and as one plays it one can see where the title comes from. Of course, they have to put a lot of items and goodies right in the river of fire - but if you're careful you can get them without a problem. I am not sure how I momentarily got lost in this level, but I did, and somehow I found it funny. Also, when you do end the level, make sure you go back to the earlier part of the level to get a few useful items. Also, I recall now what level in Hexen used the artifacts we see here - and I can't believe I forgot about it. We also come across some neat weaponry as well... Enjoy!

Avoozl said:

I think they should've at least added a new boss to the 5th episode.

I think you should be thankful they added any content. They could've simply done a retail release that was identical to the registered version.

Part 013 - E2M4: The Ice Grotto

This level contains a rather large 'ice floor' - which can be annoying but just remember, if affects enemies as well. So, while you might not have the best traction, they don't either. Also, remember that there are a few Disciples of D'Sparil lurking on the parapets and it's best to take them out from a distance. I also didn't discuss telefragging, which actually happens in this level. This means I teleported right into where an enemy was location, thus disintegrating him. Also, use of the Tome of Power on the Mace creates a fun effect, but I won't spoil it in the description.

Part 14 - E2M9: The Glacier

It's time to take on the secret level of Hell's Maw. Can you guess why this level is named after a block of slowly moving ice? Well, one key is on the top of what appears to be a glacier, and it's a pain to have to walk up it, but that's the way the level is so we might as well troop through it. This level also likes to put you in close quarters with an Iron Lich, so if you see one give him a wide berth. The fire attacks are very slow but you cannot really avoid them in close combat, and they can easily kill you. Also, there are side rooms with a lot of enemies like Were Minotaurs (sorry if I called them were dragons earlier) and Gargoyles, so just go back to the central room if you need to so you're not cornered. Finally, I decided to not cut out much commentary in this video to see if my filler material has improved. Let me know what you think.

Part 015 - E2M5: The Catacombs Halloween Spooktacular

I thought it'd be fun to have a halloween themed episode today. It's sort of random but I laughed at it. Anyway, the catacombs is a somewhat brief but interesting level with a lot water and a little bit of fire. Thankfully there is no ice this time. As far as it being an actual catacombs, there isn't a whole lot catacombey about it except for one section which you'll see. I also demonstrate a really good strategy for the Iron Lich. Don't worry about all the teleporters either, they pretty much take you to the same area. Also, stick around til the end... bwahahahahahaaa

Part 016 - E2M6: The Labyrinth

Will we get lost in this maze of a level? Well, not really, but there is a central area which is difficult to read on the map. There are only so many directions you can go, but it's easy to figure out how the level works. The central area has 4 'arms', and each arm outside of the one you arrive in is locked by the 3 color keys. This is a well thought-out level, and I enjoyed it a lot.

Part 017 - E2M7: The Great Hall

It's time for the penultimate level of Hell's Maw - The Great Hall. Unlike the last level, there is a bit of looping back that we'll have to do in order to get very secret. Save your invincibility ring though for one of them. I'm not sure why this map was labeled as such, since only one or two areas could really be a 'great hall', but no matter. There is one very tricky spot in this level that could get you if you're not prepared for it. Apart from that, it's not that difficult. Maybe the real challenge is ahead of us?

Part 018 - E2M8: The Portals of Chaos

This map is a bit hectic. There is a lot of chaotic activity going on, and you'll need every ounce of ammo you have for the final bosses which have 3000 hit points EACH. My advice is to not waste any weapons or any ammo or any inventory items until you go through the entire level to stir everyone up. Once everyone's awake, run a few laps through the level and the enemies should attack one another. The Maulotaurs (our new boss enemy) are strong enough that they will not be killed by the 60 other monsters in the level. Avoid their attacks at all costs, circle, and attack. Eventually, you will prevail.

Part 019 - E3M1: The Storehouse

The best tip for this level? Conserve your ammo. I recommend killing the gargoyles at the beginning of the game with the staff as much as you can, and hiding until the coast is clear. Once you can move on to the next area (which is a water area with an Iron Lich), let him clean up a few of the gargoyles, then let a tornado of his chase you so that you can get the wings of wrath and the tome of power (and hellstaff) ahead of time. You'll need it. Official guides don't cover this strategy, but I'd rather get it done now rather than later. The next area, which is a storage area near a 'chapel', has quite a few wereminotaurs and sabreclaws, but if you lead them to a narrow hallway you can pick them off. Finally we meet a new enemy, the Ophidian. He's not too difficult, but I would suggest keeping your distance since his attacks can be significant. You'll note that the ring of invincibility is acquired near the end of the level, suggesting that we use it against the two final (and difficult) enemies. However, I'd rather save it for another level.

I only ever made it past E3, it would be great to see the next chapters played by someone who knows what they are doing (I.E: Not me)

Part 020 - E3M2: The Cesspool

I wish we had more of a breather after the last level or at least some time to rest. This level, although not as brutal as The Storehouse, is still pretty difficult. Save your items for when you really need them. I recommend the invincibility ring for the very last batch of Disciples and possibly the very last enemy, if you know what I mean. Further, this level is quite symmetrical so use this to your advantage. Enemies will rarely follow you to the other side due to the length they have to travel to get there, so for the most part you can lead them from the left or right to the middle and deal with them one by one by forcing them through narrow corridors. Finally, I realize I do something really idiotic in this level, but it was amusing to me so I didn't re-record it. I'm sure as hell not going to play the game perfectly, but I will have fun.

Part 021 - E3M3: The Confluence

This map is named after an open area towards the beginning which is a confluence of three short 'waterfalls'. The enemy mix isn't as bad as the previous two levels, and the great thing about this level is you get about one dozen quartz flasks. I also get very lucky and get a rare drop from the Iron Lich, and use his Morph Ovum to my advantage later in the level. As with most levels in this episode, just take each area at a time, and use the terrain to your advantage. Finally, as a warning, most crushing ceilings will have the same texture, so be warned.

Part 022 - E3M4: The Azure Fortress

If you thought the last two levels were a bit of a breeze, then you'll be wrong in thinking that this level will keep the trend. Although it's not as bad as the first level of the episode, it is pretty difficult due to the sheer number of enemies involved, and the number of secrets. Save your morph ovums and use your tomes of power. Also, don't worry too much about your health as there are at least 8 quartz flasks in this level as well. There is also one pesky flame golem in the wall near the yellow key, so keep an eye out and don't dawdle in that room. Finally, there are two exits in this level, so guess which one we want.