Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
tatsurd-cacocaco

TAS (tools-assisted) demos

My primary purpose of using XDRE is center-gliding(see end of Requiem map24 for example). Building right angle and Y coordinate "y.nnnnnn" is very easy, but building "y.000000" is very hard as it seems to me.

Plut said:

My primary purpose of using XDRE is center-gliding(see end of Requiem map24 for example). Building right angle and Y coordinate "y.nnnnnn" is very easy, but building "y.000000" is very hard as it seems to me.

Generally, people who use XDRE to build glides use the brute-force function, but I actually never figured out how to use it, so someone else here should explain how to use it. I just try to get as close to the center of the gap when running to it by varying the mf and sl/sr tics (instead of the usual mf50 and sl/sr50 tics, with XDRE, you can add any number between one and 50) and watching how it affects my coordinates. Once I'm at the gap, I vary them some more in order to get the glide done as quickly as I can. Usually, I'll notice the coordinates either getting closer to .000000 or not changing at all; in the first case, I try varying some more to get .000000, and in the second case I change some previous tics. I don't think that this is an optimal way to build glides, but it's good enough for me; my perdgate map 07 TAS demo and TNT map 17 TAS demo use this method, and I think that they look fine.

Regardless, a fast glide requires a good deal of luck, so I'm pretty sure you're bound to do a bunch of trial and error even with brute-force.

joe-ilya said:

Doom 2 MAP01 NM-speed in 0:13

Huh? I don't get the point here :P
If that's TAS, what did you achieve with it?

How do I go about creating a fake co-op demo? I want to do a co-op TAS, but I can't even find any info on how to start Doom with more than one player on one computer.

4shockblast said:

How do I go about creating a fake co-op demo? I want to do a co-op TAS, but I can't even find any info on how to start Doom with more than one player on one computer.

load .lmp with the desired amount of players :P
(and use hex editor to get to the map you want to play)
If you didn't mean built run, I dunno.

Looper said:

load .lmp with the desired amount of players :P
(and use hex editor to get to the map you want to play)
If you didn't mean built run, I dunno.

Well, I managed to record demos for four players in PrBoom+, but I don't know how to modify them. I can modify each demo individually for each player's movements, but I don't know how to change to a new player, since if I modify a demo for another player and re-save it, the movements for the first player are not remembered. The command to change player in xdre doesn't seem to do anything either.

darkreaver said:

Just watched this; http://doomedsda.us/lmps/946/2/pc01b004.zip

Seems its a COOP TAS made by jongo alone, so he should know I guess. Or did you find out? Its been a while since you posted :P

Figured it out just now; (I thought that the command in XDRE to change player did not need a parameter; I guess I assumed that it would just go through the players in order). Anyway, I have other TAS stuff to work on before I try coop TAS.

Sunder Map 05 Pacifist TAS in 1.80.

su05x001.zip

o.o jump! Now non-tas run looks more realistic I guess unless that jump is very very hard? (haven't tried it yet)

Memfis said:

o.o jump! Now non-tas run looks more realistic I guess unless that jump is very very hard? (haven't tried it yet)

Oh yeah, it was so easy, you can't believe it... no it wasn't.

Cybofun2 Pacifist in 1:07. Second improvement for this run (the first run was the first speedrun I've ever made). @Andy, my old demo in the DSDA can be replaced with this one, since this zip contains both old TASes.

06cbx107.zip

Two short TAS demos to replace older demos I've uploaded that have slower centisecond times:

TNT: Evilution Map 17 Pacifist in 0:03.43 (I'm not sure if an instant glide is possible here)

Sunder Map 05 Pacifist in 1.63.

tas_2.zip