Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Zed

20 years of Doom

-What is your opinion of Doom, 20 years later? Is it still that good?
* Of course it is that good, why should I play a crappy game for more than ten years?
-What do you expect from ID for the 20th anniversary?
* Anything. Nothing. I don’t care.
-How Doom (and Doomworld) has changed your life?
* I’m seen as a madman in videogames forums.
-What do you expect for Doom in the next 20 years?
* More imps, more shotguns.
-Will you keep Doomin' 20 years from now?
* Yes.
-Do you think another revolutionary game will come and take Doom's place?
* Hrm, Doom 2 is a good answer?
-Do you think we'll see a Doom 5? Doom 6?
* I don’t know, I don’t care.
-Will the forums survive 20 more years?
* I hope so because even in the French Doom forum, there are young guns.
-The main thing is, how do you think Doom has lived through this 2 decades?
* It is still sold.
- Why?
* Because of its modability and because the source code has been released.

With a source port, sure.

Some crap that nobody cares about. Anything of worth was mined out of the archives long before now.

Doom itself brought me into the PC gaming fold. Doom taught me how to animate, how to do pixel-work to high standard. Doom taught me web design (my first website was community orientated.) Hearing Manc read the opening of Urban Brawl was pretty life changing; it convinced me to keep working on my novel, reset it to first-person and remove sources of exterior dialogue. Was a watershed moment that made me decide that I knew what I wanted to do for living.

As for doomworld? Doom community surely, there is more to this crap than one message board. Met some good people in #zdoom back in the day, still have fond memories of the dwvets. Trolled hard on newdoom, trolled harder at doomcenter, trolled hardest on doomworld.

Oldfags leave, newfags come, newfags either leave or become oldfags. Wads will be released. Most of them will be shit. Doom 4 will be released, an epic tidalwave of douchebaggery will engulf doomworld. Predicting past that is a rather futile game.

I'll still play through Ultimate Doom once a year or so. Past that it depends on the quality and novelty of any mods released by the community; something has to be pretty fresh to catch my attention these days beause, after ten years, you get a little jaded (seen it all before syndrome).

Sure. But they probably won't be any good.

No. It's amazing UGO still exists to be honest. Will the forums be ported across elsewhere? Probably, but it's possible that the transplant kills the patient regardless.

I'm a bit new to Doom, but I took it with open arms, and now I'm way into it. It's great. Might look a bit dated, but the gameplay and maps are well done. Compared to other First-Person-Shooters, the only reason
anyone will ever not like it is because of the graphics. But I think that the graphics look great.

A preview for Doom 4, and other special celebrations.

I used to hate all FPS games because of the sort of infamy of the CoD games, and Doom has showed me that not all FPSs are ruining the industry. Doom taught me how to make maps.

Even if it takes 20 years, DOOM 4.

Of course. I'll show my children and their children's children!

-For mappers and musicians, do you plan on keeping doing maps/music for Doom?
Yes, the wonderful community sees tons of modifications and contributions almost every day. I'll still map.

It's irreplaceable.

That would be a little too much.

Probably, but there's a small chance that one of the staff members might spill Coke or something on the servers, someday.

Of course it's still that good. If anything, it's gotten better. Back in the day, you might've moved from Wolf to Doom to Duke to Quake to Half-Life to Halo and felt every one offered something more than the last. This was not only a gradual progression of features, but also moving away from what makes Doom so fun. FPS games today are so entirely different, barring some intentionally "retro" exceptions, that Doom can once again shine as almost a completely different genre in and of itself. Then throw twenty years of maps, megawads, and gameplay mods on top of it.

Maybe a post on Bethesda's blog, they'll probably put the games on sale. Maybe Carmack will write up something nostalgic like he did for Quake recently (if he's even still at id, I don't think anyone knows at this point?). If ex-id guys count, Romero will probably post something. I'm not expecting a lot.

What I'd love to see is an official 20th Anniversary episode in the spirit of No Rest for the Living, and for Romero to release the DoomEd source and map sources, but I'm not holding my breath.

I don't think they really have. Doom's made me a better level designer, but I don't work in the industry or release many maps for newer games, so I don't think that's really "changed my life." I do have this "I'd rather be playing Doom" mindset with a lot of FPS games, though. So much of the modern BS just gets under my skin, it makes it hard to enjoy the games.

I think it's safe to say it'll continue to be ported to everything.

It's twenty years, almost the whole of my life so far, who can say? I don't see my enjoyment of the game going away any time soon.

Of course. Doom is one of the few games where you can throw together a professional quality map in a day if you really work at it.

Yes, but it'll probably be for an entirely new platform/medium. I think PC (and increasingly PC-like console) games have reached a plateau where the only innovation is coming in the form of graphics and techniques/hardware to render those graphics faster. Storytelling too, I suppose, but most is still laughably bad compared to real storytelling mediums. Level design is mostly shit nowadays, soundtracks have gone the route of movies. Oh, and awful pricing models, gotta make our fans play extra more to get all of the content they used to get by just buying the game.

You just don't get a Doom anymore like you did in the 90s. There are no big innovations to be had anymore. Doom was incredible in all regards, unlike anything that came before it. Fast, texture mapped worlds with variable heights and lighting - the fast part is particularly important. Early net play. Quake did these things again in true 3D, and it's one of the only other games I'd say had as much influence as Doom on a technical level. It was just small things, like "realistic" physics or Doom 3's lighting. These things definitely add up, but no game has completely blown the previous game's feature set out of the water in a long time.

We need a Doom 4 first, and it needs to not suck. Actually if Doom 4 does blow and Bethesda shelves the brand for a couple years, I can't think of another series that someone wouldn't try to reboot faster, ala ROTT or Shadow Warrior.

Probably not, but I hope I'm wrong.

Of course, I have a lot more questions to ask. The main thing is, how do you think Doom has lived through this 2 decades?
Doom has the advantages of being a very good game first of all, and one a lot of us played as kids. As the game has gotten older, it's gotten easier to modify, so you can do whatever you want with it. People are still creating entire map sets that rival the originals, are making mods that make the game play entirely different, are coding the tools and engines that make the latter possible, etc. Other games have this, but on a smaller scale. I think the difference is how big Doom was back in the day.

Hell yeah I will!
Yep. Do have a wad in production soon. Doomguy's house to celebrate his birthday.

It's good to me, and maybe some of my peers feel some sentiment to it for what it delivered in it's hay-day. It's good, but losing relevance in the common psyche.

Not much - Maybe a tweet. Maybe Romero will upload some bits from his scrap book.

I've been visiting Doomworld very shortly after it's conception. It's given me, above all else, a history to look back on. There are people, events, and creations that are quite noteworthy to me and to a small percentage of the population. Doom lost a lot of it's excitement over the years. I am interested in the happenings of the community and still like to see what people are doing with the old horse.

I feel a bit optimistic in that the amount of history, countless user modifications and thorough documentation of the game is just too rich to fully be ignored. There will be a filthy few still associated with the Doom community, I'm sure.

I don't know - I'd say no now, but I think it's a lot like people with a Wayne Newton collection they've been adding to all their life. It becomes less about Wayne Newton and more about the collection. In 20 years, I'd probably be looking more at the collective years moreso than the game.

For a while - I don't have much steam and work is awfully slow these days. I might finish the few maps I have in the works. Could be months or years.

No - Society is too fractured to have a game with such sweeping influence and long standing cultural relevance.

No. Hell and demons are becoming too cliche as the up and coming generations are more and more atheistic. I don't think the game could come out now and thrive without the cultural scare factor it had when it was released.

Doubtful, but I wouldn't say no outright. I'm surprised they've lasted this long.

Additionally, something should be said for the curators of the Doom community. If it weren't for the likes of Bloodshedder, Ty Halderman, Fraggle, Mancubus, Essel - All the port authors who do a tremendous amount of work keeping their software updated and compatible and all the forerunners before them, I seriously doubt we would be having this conversation. Doom is a great game and all, but significant games have come and gone and their followers with them. The reason the Doom community has lasted this long is because there are a few dedicated and hard-working people providing an environment in which it could survive. So, hats off to them.

Zed said:

Yep.

Nothing.

Had a lot of fun, met some awesome people.

More. Just more.

No. Fuck. Perhaps.

See above question.

This happens regularly. We are just too stubborn to admit it.

Yes. But who cares. I predict that Doom 5 will have cover based shooting. And QTE's. And a ruggedly handsome yet charming meathead with a vocabulary consisting mainly of grunts.

Yes. Will they survive well is another question. Depends on whether we become slightly more tolerant of people who have even slightly different opinions than our own.

A lot of hard work by some seriously dedicated and talented people.

-Have a good day.

I will.

While I doubt many reads each of these lists, I'll bite.

Quite so. It's a timeless classic that never truly gets old. If it does get a bit stale, you can take a break form it and come back and it'll be fresh again and just as playable, every time.

Nothing really. ID is a broken shell of what it once was, and everyone who was a part of Doom is no longer together as a team. So there'll just be weak attempts by ZeniMax to cash in on thier new brand.

Doom was the first FPS I really got into and learned to play without cheating. I had mucked around on the PC version of Doom 2 before, IDDQDing and IDFAing through every level just to see the levels I'd "never" get to see since I couldnt beat Gantlet without IDCLIP. My family was also pretty poor, we didnt have a computer till I was in high school, and even then it was a Win 95 piece of crap without even a single GB of space, so I never thought I'd get to own the game.

Playstation Doom was where I learnt all the stuff about the game proper, and has influenced me in profound ways. Doomworld introduced me to mods with the 10 Years of Doom thing, and ive been hanging around on and off since. Now im a playtester for Devilution and in the credits for Doom Expanded, so I'm now contributing to the community and it feels great. Ive been really ill this week though so it makes me feel bad that I cant do my part for Devilution, so its not all positives.

Mapping trends to rise and fall and rise again (Currently its pretty much all vanilla, all the time), I dont know if things will ever truly stop. Maybe whenever Mordeth part 2 is out ;]

I certainly hope so. I'll be 46 by then, I might have made something out of myself, I might be in a grave, who knows where I'll be and I dont want to think into that too much.

Never. Its been this long and no FPS has had the same level of impact as Doom, I dont think ANY game since has had such a large impact.

Hard to say. Zenimax threatened to kill off ID over Doom 4 incompetence, and with only Carmack there from the original Doom guys, I cant see anything more than generic shooters or games that you'll go "Wow!" and only ever play once or twice.

No. This forum is ancient as hell and has a lot of things broken or outdated that others using the same software have. Eventually it'll be gone, but theres no doubt the most prominent figures will migrate as long as they all have Doom as a common interest.

By being a masterpiece of game design that will never truly be outdone, with infinite modability and a great community

I'll keep it short and sweet.

Of course, the wads that the community makes and uploads to /idgames is what keeps me comin' back.

I dunno', maybe like a short little video from Carmack himself giving a little speech about the anniversary.

Doom changed the way I saw games, the satisfying feeling of pumping bullets into the hellspawn in a first person view felt like you were holding the gun, which I never experienced before. And Doomworld? The forums are fun to come back to then and now, just wish I registered long before though (maybe like 2003 or something).

Hopefully more wads to be made and to never stop being made...and Doom 4 of course.

Of course.

Oh most definitely, I will still keep mapping for Doom and apply for community projects :).

Probably not haha.

As much as I would hope so, I don't think so.

I most certainly hope so, if they ever plan to shut down Doomworld I'll be pissed.

Long live Doom.

The closest to the perfect game I think we'll ever see. Immersive world with simple game play... pretty perfect!

A half arsed 'celebration' on the Big B site and perhaps something from JC like he did for Wolf 3D.

Personally, I'd love to see a movie adaptation fo Masters of Doom. :P

It's easy to say that it hasn't but surely after the amount of hours I've sunk into the game and this place (been here under different guises since 2001) over the years that that in itself must've changed the course of my life in one way or another. I'm just not that clever to have worked out how!

More of the same goodness though I suspect that the accepted 'standards' of what is Doom will change. In the same way the PrBoom+ is a totally 'acceptable' standard today with all of it's changes from vanilla (uncapped FPS, removed limits etc). My guess is that (G)ZDoom will become the defacto standard.

Of course.

N/A

There can only be one 'first'.

No. There will be a reboot at some point though

I fear not. The stalwarts are only getting older. Eventually they will die. :(

a game does not change, and it does not degrade. people change, and so do their opinions. the game is still fun.

i expect nothing, they do as they please and i do not feel the need to
bother them with it.

doom introduced me to a secret gaming world where adults had more fun looking games than i was allowed to play. i still remember the first time i could see the game from behind a badly closed door. (lol)

i expect that a lot of gamers will go insane and irrational over anything doom related that id software could do. id software is at a tight pinch where the legacy of the game could destroy or have a very bad influence on possible new doom games.

this is something time will tell, i do not live in the future.

doom 2 is a mapping heaven. easy map editors beyond the ease of use of any modern game in existence, while source ports allow modern looking architecture. abandoning this could be tough.

this question is kind of a draw, in historical sense doom will never be dethroned when it is put in its own time and date, as everything needs to be seen in its own history. no new game can time travel to the 90's and say "i am the new king here".

this depends on how the gamers will react to new doom games. if the old doomers go insane over modernized additions, and the new doomers go insane over to old doom mechanics then id software might just call it a "doom exit" after a possible doom 4 is released. if the media and gamers do to a new doom, the same they did to "rage", then i think more than a possible doom 4 becomes an absolute fantasy.

if the forum owners keep their doom passion, people keep using it, and money or health problems keep out of the way of those whom maintain it. why not ?

i think doom survived because of it's historical gaming legacy, and because of gamers from that era, and the later 90's knowing what it is, and what it did to the evolution of graphics and the genre. i suspect that the doom legacy and its "long life" will greatly drop when those people that experienced it in its relevant era are gone.
in theory but not the exact practical sense, it made almost every modern game you see possible.

Doom is one of my personal favorite games. I've been playing it since 1997 when I was only 4 years old. It is still good (at least to me). The reason is because the gameplay was simple and it had a lack of story line (Back then no one really gave two fucks about an in depth story line). I enjoyed using my imagination making up a story of each level I played. I guess I'm very nostalgic and because of that, I don't really believe modern day games are as memorable as Doom 1 & 2, as well as wolfenstein 3d, duke nukem, etc...

I expect they release a Doom 4 soon. I hope they learn from their mistakes from Doom 3 and revert back to the elements of what made the original Doom series so good. (Good gameplay: No pointless bullshit levels of finding power cells and battling a few demons per level.)

Doom has introduced me to the genre of first person shooters. I discovered doomworld back in October or November of 2011 and started downloading custom WADS since. This has sparked my interest in making new levels using editors such as Doombuilder and XWE.

Personally, I don't really know. I feel like there are more gamers now that are far more interested in other series than in Doom, such as the cash cows: Call of Duty, Assassin's Creed, Halo, Gears of War, etc... ID Software can make a comeback if they make future Doom sequels with excellent gameplay and multiplayer/ deathmatch. It could be memorable in the next 20 years, who knows.

I've been playing Doom for about 16 years, why the Hell would I stop? I'm 20 now and I enjoy making custom Doom WADS. I'll most likely be Doomin' for my entire life lol.

Yes of course! I enjoy creating custom deathmatch levels for Doom 2. Doombuilder is by far one of the best editors for creating custom levels from scratch. I use XWE just to replace sprites, textures, patches, sounds, MIDIs and so on. I understand that XWE is obsolete, but it is still good for minor modifications. One of my goals for the future is to learn how to use editors like DeHackEd or WhackEd.

I can't say for sure.

From the mixed receptions of Doom 3, and the work in progress of Doom 4, I don't know for sure. People bashed the Hell outta Doom 3 for lousy gameplay, pointless over detailed levels, dark corridors, etc.. If people are let down by Doom 4, then there is no point in making a Doom 5 & Doom 6. They would be commercial failures. Also, it would definitely not market well to old school doomers like myself if Doom 4 is a total let down.

I hope so. There is still a very strong online Doom community of people who love old school Doom and enjoy creating new levels. These forums help connect doomers from all over the world and without the forums, the Doom community wouldn't be as strong as it is today.

Gee, you know, that gets me thinking... Well it was a huge hit in the 90's (1993 - 1999) due to its innovation during the era. ID Software released Doom for numerous consoles and new series, (such as Doom 64 and Final Doom). So how did Doom survive for 2 decades?
From my knowledge of our "wonderful" United States Media.. (note the sarcasm), Doom has received a lot of controversy especially when it was discovered that the two perpetrators of the Columbine Massacre were avid Doom players (One of them even created custom Doom WADS). I believe the numerous controversies played a part in keeping the franchise alive and popular. However, even with the release of Doom 3, I felt that during the mid to late 2000s, Doom wasn't as popular as it used to be. Most likely because of the competition of Call of Duty and other big shot franchises which dominated the 2000's era of gaming. Doom isn't dead though, it just doesn't have the same amount of popularity like the way it used to. It's sad to say, but the younger generation of kids (the ones born during the very late 90's or early to mid 2000's) most likely don't know much or don't care for the Doom series. The older guys (like me) who grew up with Doom still keep it alive. Examples: The Brutal Doom Mod Series! GZDoom, Zandronum, Skulltag, etc.. Brutal Doom, created by SGTMarkIV was even recognized by some video game review shows on the internet. That just shows that Doom and Doom modding is still alive for 2 decades.

Compared to a lot of people here, I'm a newcomer to Doom. The first time I played was when I was 5 or 6, back in the mid-90s, but I didn't rediscover and really get into it until about 10 years after that. My opinion of it has not changed in the additional 8 or 9 years since then, and indeed it's only grown more dear to me as I've gotten to know it better.

Something small, at minimum an announcement on their website and social network pages, at most some sort of special/"limited edition" re-release of the original game. Maybe even some new teaser for Doom 4.

Playing and mapping for Doom have been some of my favorite hobbies since discovering the game, even up to now. It's one of the best creative outlets I have, when I get into it. As for the game itself I think it spawned in me an appreciation for more dark, twisted, gritty artistic styles that remains with me to this day.

I guess I expect a continuation of what we've seen: the old guard will continue to shrink, new generations will continue to discover the game and its community. Given how many sites and communities the game covers, and the ongoing modernization of its sourceports as well as continued interest in Old Doom, I can only imagine it will continue to evolve, if not necessarily grow, into the future. It certainly offers creative opportunities most subsequent games don't.

I don't see why not. It's hard to predict something like that, but I'm the sort of person that's pretty resistant to change, for better or for worse. (I've been into Commander Keen since I was like 4, and I don't see that going anywhere either.)

I'd think so. As I say, it's always got something new to offer as long as I have ideas to work with.

Hard to say. As others have said, Doom came at a time when gaming technology was undergoing rapid evolution that made once-impossible genres and gameplay styles feasible. Since then I think then the technology has reached an upper limit where most of the fundamentals are already quite possible, and all that remains is to tweak, polish and expand on existing genres (or miss the point of them in the pursuit of nicer graphics.) But one can never say otherwise until somebody has a great idea and executes it well, so who knows?

Heh, maybe. Still holding my breath for Doom 4 here.

I think so, as I expressed above. The membership may look very different; after all, 20 years is a long time, and I'll be reaching middle age by then. Some of us might rediscover it again for that reason, heh.

Given my experience with other communities for games of similar age, it's survived exceptionally well. In spite of the occasional "Doomworld is dying" alarm bell posts, I have seen nothing to suggest that that's happening, and sometimes we may take for granted just how much staying power this game really has. As long as people keep mapping--and they still do, day after day--I think Doom will be alive and well.

I've got some answers.

What is your opinion of Doom, 20 years later? Is it still that good?
Well, there's probably a good reason why I still like it! Simple and fun gameplay goes pretty far in any kind of gaming circle.

What do you expect from ID for the 20th anniversary?
To be honest, a smile and a nod, and not much else. It feels like, over the years, that Doom is not a priority to them, and more like a relic for capitalizing on nostalgia.

How Doom (and Doomworld) has changed your life?
It give me a creative outlet with a computer: to make something fun and interactive for people to play. The feedback that you get from somebody that has played what you created is always a good experience, and - I'm not gonna lie - that type of validation is very important to me, and I strive to re-experience that as much as possible, without trying to fish for it.

What do you expect for Doom in the next 20 years?
A better use of the Doom Engine outside of just modifying the original game, like making entirely new ones. The time is now, people!

Will you keep Doomin' 20 years from now?
If somebody keeps updating source ports to work in modern OSes, probably!

For mappers and musicians, do you plan on keeping doing maps/music for Doom?
Life's been getting progressively busier, but I will always try to have one release per year, if I can.

Do you think another revolutionary game will come and take Doom's place?
In terms of "Popular FPS," this has always been happening. In terms of "same gameplay and spirit," this has yet to happen, though some games come close.

Do you think we'll see a Doom 5? Doom 6?
This may sound strange, but I hope not. Doom 3, personally, was a disappointment and I don't hold very high hopes for Doom 4. Anything that would be made today would not be Doom, nor be engrossing enough to win over current fans. You will not see a major studio create something like Doom; the independent gaming community may be the place to see something like that, unencumbered by market forces and publishers looking to create another Call of Duty or Halo (not to say that they are bad games - they just aren't Doom).

Will the forums survive 20 more years?
Hopefully in a more modern incarnation. The community may still exist in one form or another, but DoomWorld's vBulletin is ancient, and is in desperate need of an update in terms of a message board system that can integrate with current technologies. Maybe I can code a replacement one day...

Of course, I have a lot more questions to ask. The main thing is, how do you think Doom has lived through this 2 decades?
Better than I think anybody could have ever hoped. Community contribution is always a factor, and it is solely because of it that Doom has lived this long.

Of course, Doom is one of the best game I've played in my life, It have something that no game have... Like other members of the forum say, It's like a fine wine.

You can think that I'm a little silly, but I wait some Doom 4 media (images, videos, etc...).

I'm new in Doomworld, but Doom was a big part of my childhood.
I remember when I was a kid, I had Windows 98 and I used it for play Doom shareware, the first time when I saw the Barons of Hell, that was the most epic moment in all my gamer life. I used to have dreams about that two f*ckers!

I don't know, but I know a thing... I gonna be playing Doom like all years before.

Of course, probably more because recently, two years ago, I enter in the world of multiplayer Doom, like zdaemon or Zandronum.

No, never.

I think that we gonna have lucky if Doom 4 can be released.

I don't know...

Yes, infact better. Though that was because I iddqd'd the hell (pun not intended) when I first played it cause I was very young (read stupidly too young for it) at the time, but as time got on, I've played more honestly and experienced how scary it can be.

Don't know but would love to see something cool.

Because I first played doom at a young age, and made a huge impression on my life, it made me fall in love with gaming, and computers in general, which meant I wanted to work with computers when I left school. Glad to say, 20 years later, mission accomplished, doing IT support. OHh and it's my all time favourite game since forever

100 diffrent source ports and millions of new WADs, and it being just as fun. Also Augmented Reality Classic Doom (imagine running about with a Google glass like product playing doom in the streets :D)

On and Off, like I do just now, yes. I'll always keep it close to ym heart

N\A but I will keep on listening to Doom music if it's done well.

In a way no, and in a way, it's already happened.

Doom should and always be remembered as THE game that made FPS what it is today. When looking at the history, Doom will be mentioned, and praised for it's achievements.

But I think people don't even know what a Cyberdemon, BFG or Doomguy is, but think Master Chief, Gordon Freeman, Mario, Sonic, Zelda etc are gods and the Energy sword, Gravity gun and portal guns are the weapons of the gods (which I see alot of people would rate highly of above the BFG 9000, sometimes even ignoring the BFG, both of which is sacrilege in my eyes).

No but would that be a bad thing? Let it be remembered for what it does right, not what the mistakes of the future?

I'd say there will be a strong enough community that it will but I'm not that frequent a user here so probably will not be part of it myself (but who knows as well)