Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
j4rio

Killing Adventure demos [-complevel 9]

DSDA page aka killadve

[removed old DSDA link - Maribo] demos are making quite a mess in misc. demos thread so post here in case you have any killadve demos. It'd be cool if mods could transfer killadve related posts here as it'd be at least 3 pages long, if not more.

Anyways, here's 2-hour effort.

map 6 max 0:56
map 15 max 0:59
map 19 max 1:19
map 20 max 0:43
map 24 max 1:15

ka_maxes.zip

Edited by Maribo

Since I haven't worked on this in a while I might as well post it instead of let it languish on my hard drive.

It's a WIP TAS movie of KA. Read the txt.

Also, is -complevel 9 really the best choice for this wad?

06ka0222.zip

Cool, too bad it's not complete. I was toying around with an idea of doing this in a single segment, but map 11... ehhh nope.

As for complevels, it's almost identical. Few spottable differences are in maps 1, 13 and 31. With cl2 in map 1, 4 cacos die always immediately from barrel blast, while with cl9 they all almost always stay alive. In map 13 as you open doors, you face PEs before lost souls, so with lost soul limit they'll be harmless. Same with 31 as there are plenty of PEs and lost soul limit is reached almost immediately. I've kept on with cl9 with the rest of maps for the sake of consistency.

j4rio said:

Cool, too bad it's not complete. I was toying around with an idea of doing this in a single segment, but map 11... ehhh nope.

With practice, you should be able to pass MAP11 a reasonable percentage of the time, keeping in mind that this "moment of truth" is only about five minutes into the run. The key is to not be too careful. If you choose to slowly crawl along the walkways then you'll be moving in an unnatural way where your Doom-movement instincts won't help you. I would actually recommend straferunning along the walkways so that you can adjust your direction without moving the mouse by briefly releasing either one of your movement keys.

A more deadly single moment is only about 30 seconds into the run, if you choose to rush past the archvile, pain elemental and cacos in MAP03 as I do in this demo. I would recommend this tactic in a single-segment run as it does save a lot of time, though you'll get very bored of maps 1 and 2.

Past MAP11 the run is mostly clear sailing, in that there are no especially deadly moments unless you're very unlucky or take major risks. I would still take some risks later in the run to avoid recording a run that seems half-hearted or overly cautious. The whole wad can and should be beaten in under 19 minutes.

You spend an extra second gathering cells at the beginning. You should be able to get 0:29 one way or another.

I still looking forward to do the max run on map13. However I found that the grey base doesn't looks as easy as it says, I wonder if there's any good methods to get rid of those archviles.

Daiyu_Xiaoxiang said:

I still looking forward to do the max run on map13. However I found that the grey base doesn't looks as easy as it says, I wonder if there's any good methods to get rid of those archviles.

Best of luck. You should be able to get some ideas from the MAP13 maxes on this page.

Another batch of UV-fast demos here I just finished up recording a little while ago.

Map 16 - 3:29
Map 17 - 1:19
Map 18 - 1:35
Map 19 - 1:33
Map 20 - 0:49
Map 21 - 2:35
Map 31 - 3:59
Map 32 - 0:06

kademos3.zip

Anima Zero said:

Another batch of UV-fast demos here I just finished up recording a little while ago.

Map 16 - 3:29
Map 17 - 1:19
Map 18 - 1:35
Map 19 - 1:33
Map 20 - 0:49
Map 21 - 2:35
Map 31 - 3:59
Map 32 - 0:06

Map 16 run misses an imp.

Oh yeah, now that it got bumped, it reminds me...

@Andy There's a superfluous demo here (ka03-119) that I'd like removed. Thanks.

I actually picked up my old Killing Adventure movie a few days ago and added a few more levels to it. I may as well post my progress here in case I take another two-year break.

Note that this is a TAS movie by Doom community standards, but I consider it a segmented speedrun - the only TAS feature used is re-recording at level transitions. All individual levels were run in one shot, with no slow-mo or SR50 automation. I'm running the wad this way because each level is like an Étude, seemingly designed to train a particular skill, and if I ran the wad single-segment or made a robotic slow-motion TAS I wouldn't learn as much from it. I'm sorry if the result is uninteresting to watch. I'm finding that it's hard to judge a demo like this against other TAS and non-TAS demos, since it's a maverick, playing by its own rules.

Andy: if you upload this to DSDA you can delete the earlier WIP.

11kax421.zip

joe-ilya said:

MAP01 Stroller in 0:04

I don't think Stroller allows strafing or straferunning (at least not according to the Doom Wiki).