Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Demonicus666

Doom 3d engine ?

I think GZDoom runs Doom in 3d. There are some mods that you can find on the internet that have 3d sprites/texture packs.

Any OpenGL (or Direct3D) port will use a true 3D rendering thing.

This doesn't mean that it won't still use sprites! And it also doesn't mean that the physics won't still be 2.5D!

Vavoom is probably the port that pushed the 3D angle the farthest, being so highly derived from the Quake engine as it is.

Source ports like Jdoom, Risen and GzDoom render the game in what I call "sort of true 3D." That is, the perspective is along all three axes, and there is 3D model support, but the maps are still 2.5D. Tricks can be implemented to allow for slopes and room-over-room effects, but you're still using an XY grid to build everything. I think Vavoom is the only engine that lets you construct true 3D geometry.

GoatLord said:

I think Vavoom is the only engine that lets you construct true 3D geometry.

Doomwiki.org lists "3D floors, 3D middle textures, slopes and colored lighting." among ZDoom's features. Since GZDoom is a derivative of ZDoom I assume it has those features as well.

By the way.

Demonicus666 said:

Hey doomers what doom engines run doom in 3d? To take advantage of today's pcs ?

3D can mean several different things.

1. Support for true 3D geometry, like in Quake.
2. 3D floors and other tricks that can somewhat compensate for the lack of true 3D geometry.
3. 3D models. Even Wolf3D-like engines can be taught to show them.
4. OpenGL, etc.
5. I dunno, 3D goggles support?

It would be nice to elaborate.

GoatLord said:

Source port Risen render the game in what I call "sort of true 3D." That is, the perspective is along all three axes, and there is 3D model support, but the maps are still 2.5D.

Sitters/Abbs maps for Risen3D are true 3D.

Da Werecat said:

Risen3D supports true 3D maps? Or is it another case of using 3D floors/portals/whatever?

I thought these meant essentially the same thing. What is the difference between true 3D geometry and the things you've listed?

Patrol1985 said:

In that case, is there any Doom port which supports TRUE 3D geometry, without any tricks?

Why bother? That'd mean you'd need to use a completely different map format. And by completely different, I don't mean something like "Hexen format instead of Doom format" or "UDMF" -- I mean something which has no concept of sectors at all, and instead uses brushes like Quake and Unreal, or meshes like the Bethesda games.

That also means that the engine in question would need to perform some on-the-fly conversion of Doom maps to whatever it uses natively. (Brushes are easier to imagine for that.) And then you run into all sorts of hassles because things like sector movements in Doom would correspond to brush transformations rather than movement. (E.g., a lift doesn't move up: it gets taller.) And then there's the rendering hacks for effects like deep water and invisible floors -- entirely tied to sectors.

Simply put, a TRUE 3D geometry without tricks? That's not a Doom port anymore. If you're fine with something that isn't a Doom port, then you can look at Garry's Mod.

Patrol1985 said:

I thought these meant essentially the same thing. What is the difference between true 3D geometry and the things you've listed?

True 3D Geometry involves no trickery whatsoever, while Doom is a fundamentally 2D game that can, with Open GL fanciness, come very close to approximating the real deal.