Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Rohit_N

Blake Stone Planet Strike code released under GPL v2

Does this have to be compiled to Windows or something?

I only compiled it on Linux. If you have the SDL2 development libaries for Windows and CMake, you can build it yourself.

Technician said:

I just can't get into the Wolf 3-D era of FPS. Like previously stated, the player movement feels like you're a camera mounted on a set of tracks, not a at all like a person.

I'm glad to see another classic FPS get the GPL treatment, but I'd rather it be Blood or Redneck Rampage.

I agree 100%. Blood and Redneck Rampage are a shitload of fun, and (mostly in the case of the former) come close to the Doom experience in terms of sheer good-natured fun.

But you have to admit, Blake Stone isn't half bad. With the release of the source code, someone can create a source port that improves the controls, maybe even give the engine a bit more flexibility. It would be interesting (and easy) to mod for.

Please, can someone compile this for Windows and upload it somewhere? I wish I knew how to!

The Blake Stone games are great. My brother loved them too. The graphics are nice, the gameplay is a step up from Wolf3D and the games premise is good old cheesy fun. A higher resolution and frame rate along with proper strafe controls and I'll be a happy man this Christmas. By the way, do you think this engine is capable of running the original Blake Stone game too? I know there was a lot of changes made between the two games...

GoatLord said:

I agree 100%. Blood and Redneck Rampage are a shitload of fun, and (mostly in the case of the former) come close to the Doom experience in terms of sheer good-natured fun.

Blood feels like Doom improved in the case of gameplay and has more possibilities, I'd certainly take it over a Wolf 3D-type engine any day, though a shame the source code seems forever lost since Atari never wants to release it.

I tried the build of the bstone Planet Strike source port, Windows 7 64-bit.

It appears to work! I have only played through the first level, however. There is some sort of minor bug I noticed: When ingame, after exiting the menu and starting a new game, the first level will have no music. The level music returns after a different level is entered/loaded.

^
Is it just a straight port of the DOS game or are there any improvements, at all? Higher resolution or strfe controls perhaps?

I'm still stuck at work for the next few hours but I'm keen to know!

Average said:

^
Is it just a straight port of the DOS game or are there any improvements, at all? Higher resolution or strfe controls perhaps?

I'm still stuck at work for the next few hours but I'm keen to know!

Basically it appears to just be a port of the DOS game. The resolution isn't any clearer, although the aspect ratio is wider. There's an extra sound volume setting from the options menu, and the option for PC speaker sound is removed.

esselfortium said:

I just misread ECBlake as EZBake.

Bake Scones: Bakery Strike.

That was cheesy and I feel bad for saying it.

^
But cheese scones are so tasty!

Bit of a pity that the game is essentially the same but at least I won't have to worry about the burden of DOSBox any more. I didn't have time last night to play it but tonight, oh yes, tonight!

I got to play through the first 3 levels last night and I didn't find any issues with it. It's nice to finally have a nice smooth frame rate. I went back to the GOG release to compare this version and the original running in DOSBox. The Windows version makes the original feel almost unplayable. Now, if only the dev adds proper strafing and support for the Aliens of Gold files. That would be super cool. :)