Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
scroton

Mancubus Pain sound sped up 200%

While playing around with the mancubus sounds I noticed that the mancubus pain sound sounds an awful lot like a guy saying "quiet" or "wyatt." The mancubus sight sound seems to include the same sound, albiet at an even slower speed (this is the manc sight sound sped up 100% for comparison to the normal pain sound.)

Now I know that the monster sounds in doom/doom2 were partially composed of, among other things, animal sounds. So I'm wondering whether the mancubus pain sound actually from a guy's voice or if it's just an animal noise that sounds like a human voice when sped up. It certainly isn't unheard of for animals to sound kind of like human voices.

What do you guys think? Or--even better--does someone know for certain?

From Per Kristian's 'hi-res sounds' project page:
"The Mancubus sight sound was a bit tricky:
By listening carefully to it I figured it consisted of some jaguar sounds mixed with a deep moaning sound. I had the jaguar sounds, but still the moan was a problem, until I recognized it; it's of course the sight sound for the Octabrain in Duke Nukem 3D! The Octabrain sight sound is of very poor quality (8 kHz), but that didn't matter as when I mixed it with the jaguar sounds, the Mancubus sight sound was born... again. The Mancubus attack scream is a slowed down sound of a pig."

On listening to the Octabrain sounds myself, there's definitely something very pig-like about some of them, including the sight sound; I wouldn't be surprised if the source sounds for the Mancubus are pig-based too.

I always thought the Octabrain's sight sound is similar to that of the mancubus. When I first encountered an Octabrain in Duke 3D, it was not in the player view; so I thought I was dealing with a mancubus when I heard the sight sound. It was a very long time ago, of course.

Platinum Shell said:

Wouldn't be surprised as the archvile's death sound is a modified sound clip of a girl saying "why?"

Which I think I managed to replicate after playing around with Audacity a long time ago.

Also, slightly unrelated to this thread, but I think it would be great if someone requests John Romero to replicate the infamous IoS' SIT, so the community can use it for their wads and stuff.

It could be a great addition to the Perkristan's HQ soundpack

Netherstorm said:

I always thought the archvile sounded like it was saying 'oh my god' after dying.

Before discovering this forums or the Doom Wiki, I thought it was laughing like Santa Claus ("Ho, ho, ho!"). Yes, pretty stupid conclusion, I know. But it's interesting thinking in the Arch-Vile like some kind of gift-bringer (in this case, it brings you the "gift of life" back).

EDIT: Orthography.

Doominator2 said:

maybe they just recorded someone saying quite then slowed it down by 200%?

I tried doing that with a bunch of clips of me trying to say the sped up sound in the OP, and it doesn't sound quite right. I even tried varying the slowdown and still no dice.

It might be that it's actually an animal noise that just happens to sound like a human, but I'm not sure I may just not have the right voice for it. I'd be interested to see if someone else could replicate it by recording themselves and slowing it down.

IMX said:

It could be a great addition to the Perkristan's HQ soundpack

I keep reading this as "Pakistan's HQ soundpack" for some reason. Hmm...Paki Doom? O_o

Doominator2 said:

maybe they just recorded someone saying quite then slowed it down by 200%?

I was thinking the same thing, It could've been like how the Icon of Sin's chant was made. I also feel it could just be pure coincidence, since it's pretty rare you'd be able to make such a perfect growling sound using a recording of someone talking.

EDIT: Oh, and don't you mean slowed by 50%?

What scares me is that the sped up sound sounds a lot like Elmer Fudd (Arthur Q Bryan, not Mel Blanc) saying "quiet". Fudd saying "Be verwy quiet. I'm hunting wabbits." has always been a common sound clip, even back in 1993.

Could it be possible the mancubus sound was an altered Looney Tunes sound clip?

Boingo said:

What scares me is that the sped up sound sounds a lot like Elmer Fudd (Arthur Q Bryan, not Mel Blanc) saying "quiet". Fudd saying "Be verwy quiet. I'm hunting wabbits." has always been a common sound clip, even back in 1993.

Could it be possible the mancubus sound was an altered Looney Tunes sound clip?

Oh wow, it does sound really close to Elmer's voice now that you mention it. Even his lisp is detectable for the sound's quality.

Boingo said:

Listen to this for comparison:

http://www.megawavs.com/play.aspx?id=952

{{EDIT: Please note that Fudd said the phrase in several cartoons, so it may not be an exact match. It seems awfully darned close though!}}

Hearing that and then hearing the sped up sound back to back, I'm pretty much convinced you're correct.

Mancubi have Elmer Fudd sounds. Huh.

That's a bit forced....at most it sounds like "Kwah...*cough*", nowhere near an articulate speech sound slowed down.

"Be verwy, verwy quiet, I'm huntin' Doomguys... urhruhrurhur!"

It's surreal to listen to this sped-up sample and think that it may well have been Elmer Fudd that I've been shooting in the face for nearly 20 years, but I'm erring on the side of co-incidence.

Still, would love to know what BP has to say on the matter.

Nope, it just ain't there for me. It just sounds like a "Whaaaaaa" or "Kwaaaaahhhh" inarticulate cry without the final glottal stop.

Maes said:

It just sounds like a "Whaaaaaa" or "Kwaaaaahhhh" inarticulate cry without the final glottal stop.

Yeah, because that couldn't possibly have been cut when BP was editing the source audio!

I've just fucked around with DSMNPAIN and the Fudd clip, and it's now undeniable as far as I'm concerned. Here's a clip with an accelerated DSMNPAIN mixed in with Fudd's audio mid-sentence; it's by no means a professional job, but you'd have to be fucking deaf to not notice the similarity.