Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Nightmare Doom

So what considers a "True Doomer"?

A True Doomer is someone who plays Doom 1 & 2. Usually a True Doomer would have grown up playing this game during the 90's.

printz said:

A false Doomer is one who pretends to enjoy playing Doom and making Doom levels, but gets fed up easily, and when confronted on the forums about the quality of his work (if he's a map author) will get defensive quickly, quit and never ever come back to do anything Doom-like. There have been a few guys doing this, and a justification for their actions is probably this. Hint: not necessarily CJW. That was just a spoiled manchild. Probably Death-Destiny counted, he seemed very stressed out about it.

pretty sure he came back, imo it's obvious that DD = Darkwave0000

I expect any argument about who is teh tr00 Doomer to be pretty unproductive. Is it just enjoying Doom? Is it being indoctrinated enough to refer to mods as WADs? Is it being able to beat all IWADs on UV? On Nightmare? Without saving? Is it being a mapper? Being a good mapper? Is it only liking olde-school vanilla-compatible maps, or is it being the one who is still modernizing the game's sourceports 20 years on? Does Doom even have to be your favorite game? Do you have to be of the Old Guard that played Doom back when it was released? Is one's Doom-ness measured on a sliding scale? Are there initiation rites? Who approves the Truth of a Doomer? I checked the FAQ and none of these things are answered there.

I once read somewhere that jet fighter pilots used to say something along the lines of: "you're not a true pilot until you've landed on an aircraft carrier, at night, during a storm".

Using this analogy, one might use the criterion of "a really hard task" as the indicator of being a "true X". Of course now we arrive at a notion of "what is a really hard task?". To each their own, but let's use the only fairly objective piece of data I have access to: Steam achievements. Assuming we're talking only about "classic" games, let's forget about Doom 3 for the sake of this argument. Out of all the people who bought "Doom 3: BFG", only 0.9% managed to get "DOOM II: Superior Firepower" achievement, which requires you to complete all levels of Doom II on Ultra-violence. Therefore, if you have ever completed all levels of Doom II on Ultra-violence, you are in the 99th percentile of all the people who bought "Doom 3: BFG" on steam. Being in the 99th percentile usually means you did something "really hard" compared to others, so yeah, there is your "really hard task"....

... but everything I've written thus far is bullshit and I am aware of it. The reason pilots invented such a criterion was because it was a hard task, but ALSO because it was required of you as a pilot. When the airforce says "we need pilots" it's obvious they mean "we need people who can land on a carrier, at night, during a storm". It's a possible situation, it may happen and you are EXPECTED to handle it as a part of your job.

No such thing applies to Doom. It's just a computer game, a hobby. Nobody suffers if you don't know how to play it. Nobody EXPECTS of you to have any sort of a pre-set skill level.

However, there is one group of people that expects something of you in terms of Doom: the developer team. I think it's a safe assumption that if you play the game and you enjoy it, you are expected to buy it. Consider such a situation: if you asked a member of developer team / publisher whom he considered "a true doomer" and gave him two alternatives: a guy who set a world record for a full game nightmare speedrun on his pirated copy, OR a guy who still can't get past the first Revenant, but enjoys the game and bought it, who in your opinion would the said developer choose? I'm inclined towards the second option, I know I would choose it in their place.

I think it's actually something Metallica has said once: that they don't care about fans who listen to their music but do so from pirated CDs. They appreciate the fans who listen to their music AND bought original records.

I'm not saying people who have pirate copies are not "true doomers", but I think that's as objective a criterion as you can get: a person who enjoyed the game so much that they decided to spend money on it when they had alternatives to choose from.

But what if you have both the original Metallica CDs and the Pirated CDs? Does that mean anything? What if you also have stolen locks of hair, jackets, stolen teeth, flakes of skin in a vial...

Clonehunter said:

What if you also have stolen locks of hair, jackets, stolen teeth, flakes of skin in a vial...

Are you kidding? You aren't a true Metallica fan unless you buy the officially licensed (made in China) locks of hair, jackets, teeth, flakes of skin etc.

I think you have to get all your music from Napster if you are a true Metallica fan.

If you like to play doom on a regular basis then you are a true doomer. Everyone on this forum is a true doomer. We liked doom enough to sign up for a forum account, so how would we not be a true doomer.

I consider ''false'' Doomers (and other false classic gamers) like this: the person sees someone playing or finds a random Doom gameplay video and comments ''OMG I REMEMBER THAT GAME BEST GAME EVER'' and forgets the game for another 15 years.

the only thing the thought of having a true "EnterGameName" gamer does, is create elitist gamers that do not allow new gamers on their multiplayer servers, or even on their forums. many old game forums die this way, because people think the game they where about 'was an elite private rarity".

I'd say a "true Doomer" is a person who plays Doom, loves the shit out of it and owns (or at least has played) each game in the series.

FireFish said:

the only thing the thought of having a true "EnterGameName" gamer does, is create elitist gamers that do not allow new gamers on their multiplayer servers, or even on their forums. many old game forums die this way, because people think the game they where about 'was an elite private rarity".

This is like a paleontology forum.

You're not a True Doomer until you have lost sleep over whether the imp is hairy or not, or whether cacodemons really have poop chutes.

I've spend the most money on Doom. There is no other game out there that I've spend more on than Doom. Played it on multiple platforms, PC, Atari Jaguar and Playstation. Doom is the only game which I've played on various platforms. And I (used to) make maps for it. I don't play much Doom anymore now. So I think I used to be a True Doomer, I think I downgraded to Casual Doomer :p

John Romero's actually played one of my maps. I think that elevates me from "fake geek girl" to "filthy namedropper". Am I 'twue' enough yet?

j4rio said:

Once you embrace your impse fetish, you're a true doomer.

I evolved it further. Does that count?

Maes said:

I evolved it further. Does that count?

You evolved it into Cybse so of course it counts.

On topic: I think if you grew up with the game and still play it to this day you're a true doomer.

Memfis said:

pretty sure he came back, imo it's obvious that DD = Darkwave0000

darkwave32.wad has no difficulty settings implemented, this very un-Death-Destiny-like...

well, i play doom since it came out and never got bored with it, i still enjoy it because of its speed and movement where modern games are lacking. i hope that sticking with a game for nearly 20 years now makes me "true" enough ;)

False Doomer is someone that says he's playing Doom now and you find out it´s Doom 3.

True doomers are those people that work at moon bases while they are being invaded by hell spawns.

True doomers snail-mailed floppy disks with their demo lmps to Jeffrey Makaiwi.

Patrol1985 said:

This.

If you play Doom and enjoy it, you're a "true doomer" in my eyes.

The question implies that there is also a notion of a "false doomer". Now that would be an interesting question to answer - who may be considered a false doomer? :D

Terry, Ogre, Matthew, and Joey.

I'd say false doomers include the ones who see someone playing any given old 90s shooter and calls it doom and claims they remember the game.

Particularly bad are some I've met who confused the likes of Quake and Descent (especially Descent, seeing as you're free-floating and in a space ship...) for Doom.