Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Chris Hansen

Collection of Doom 20th news

Hi all.

I was wondering if it would be a good idea to gather news about Doom's 20th birthday in one spot? Personally, I would appreciate it because I don't frequent gaming news sites that often, but I would love to read articles celebrating the event (given that they even bother to write about it).

So, if you think it's a good idea and have stumpled across an article that might be of interest to the rest of us, then please link here in this thread.

List of articles submitted in this thread

1. Doom is 20 Years Old Today - The Huffington Post UK
  2. Doom: 20 Years of a Gaming Legend - TechRadar
  3. Twenty Years of Ultra-Violence - MetaFilter
  4. Doom Was Launched 20 Years Ago - NetMassimo
  5. Q&A: Doom's Creator Looks Back on 20 Years of Demonic Mayhem - Wired
  6. Doom's Legacy: 20 Years of Brutal FPS Action - Stuff UK
  7. Celebrating 20 Years, Doom's Legacy is Its Human Connection - Polygon
  8. Happy 20th Birthday, Doom! id Software's Legendary Shooter Was Released Twenty Years Ago Today - Kotaku
  9. 20 Years of Doom: The Most Influential Shooter Ever - Paste Magazine
  10. Doom at 20: John Carmack's Hellspawn Changed Gaming Forever - The Verge
  11. The Meaning of Doom - The Economist
  12. Doom Turns 20, Original id Software Developer American McGee Talks Legacy, Kickstarter, and "Quake" on the Venerated Shooter's 20th Anniversary - Complex Gaming
  13. 20 Years Later: A Look Back at My Doom Love Affair - PC Magazine
  14. Doom 20th Anniversary Today — A True Classic - IncGamers
  15. Doom, the Original and Best First-Person Shooter, is 20 Years Old Today - ExtremeTech
  16. We Play Doom With John Romero - IGN
  17. Memories of Doom, by John Romero & John Carmack - Kotaku
  18. Happy 20th, Doom! - Bethesda Softworks
  19. Happy 20th Birthday Doom! Why Doom is the Seed of All Modern Games - GamesRadar
  20. Doom Retrospective: 20 Years of the Game That Didn't Just Change Gaming Forever — It Changed Gamers - Eurogamer
  21. Toast to the Monsters: 20 Years of Doom - Rock, Paper, Shotgun
  22. Classic Computer Game "Doom" Made in Mesquite, is 20 Years Old Today - The Dallas Morning News
  23. Ars Editors Remember Their First Taste of Doom, 20 Years Later: Looking Back on Two Decades of Fragging, from Computer Lab LANs to the TI-85 - Ars Technica
  24. Why Doom Still Holds Up After 20 Years - Time Tech
  25. Knee Deep in History: 20 Years of Doom - NBC News
  26. 20 Years Later, Doom Still Looms Large Over the Games Industry - PC & Tech Authority
  27. Doom Celebrates 20 Years of Gaming - Co-Optimus
  28. Happy 20th, Doom - UPROXX
  29. John Carmack Reminisces on 20 Years of Doom and What Happened With Doom 4 - Warp Zoned
  30. Happy Birthday to Doom, Happy Birthday to Doom: 20 Years Young! - Eurogamer
  31. Remembering Doom: 20 Years Later - PCGamesN
  32. Doom Reaches 20th Anniversary, Celebrations Across the Web - PlayStation Universe
  33. id Software's Doom Turns 20 Years Old - GameNGuide
  34. Creators of Doom Reflect on 20th Anniversary - The Vine
  35. A Look Back at Doom: Celebrating 20 Years of Gore and Mayhem - VR-Zone
  36. Groundbreaking First-Person Shooter "Doom" is 20 Today: IDDQD - Gameplanet
  37. Doom is 20 Years Old Today: Happy Birthday to the Granddaddy of All FPSes - play.tm
  38. Doom Turns 20 Today: Let's Remember the Good Times - games.on.net
  39. Doom Celebrates Its 20th Birthday! - TV3
  40. Groundbreaking First-Person Shooter Game "Doom" Turns 20 - TeleManagement
  41. Classic Doom 20th Birthday - ESReality
  42. After 20 Years, Doom Co-Creator John Romero Looks Back on the Impact of a Seminal (and Satanic) Game - VentureBeat
  43. How Doom Inspired the First-Person-Shooter Game 20 Years Ago - Tom's Guide
  44. Doom 20th Birthday Video Perfectly Captures the '90s Slaughterfest - Mashable
  45. The Meaning of Doom - Malaysian Digest
  46. Doom Turns 20: We Take a Look at the Game's History - International Business Times
  47. Doom is 20 Years Old Already! Here, Have a Dancing Cyberdemon - GMA News
  48. Doom: Venti Anni di Incubi - FantasyMagazine
  49. Happy 20th Anniversary, Doom: This Was the Game That Cemented My Love for FPS Titles - Destructoid
  50. USgamer Celebrates 20 Years of Doom - USgamer
  51. Happy 20th Birthday, Doom! - Yahoo!
  52. Doom Turns 20 - Game Informer
  53. Doom Turns 20 Today: Watch How it Was Made - VirtualReality.ca
  54. Happy Birthday to Doom! - Gaming Nexus
  55. Ww Are Doomed — An Art Tribute to 20 Years of Doom - Game Art HQ
  56. Doom: Celebrating 20 Years of BFG - Structure Gaming
  57. Doom 20th Anniversary Livestream Replay: We Remember Doom in the Most Fitting Way Possible, By Blasting Demons to Hell and Back - Gamereactor
Thanks to savagegrant for help with compiling the list.

Good idea. There is no news yet, but I assume (hope?) that they will pop-up once the day starts in the U.S. (it's 10 a.m. here in Poland as I'm writing this).

I won't lie I expect the following sites to write something:

idsoftware.com
gamespot.com
ign.com
store.steampowered.com
esreality.com
pcgamer.com

Doomworld.com (:D :D :D)

A google doodle discussed in another thread wouldn't hurt either ;)

If any of you stumble upon articles on these sites, please post links here as I might miss them.

EDIT:

Doom also has its official page on Facebook, but they haven't written anything yet.

Thanks for the input! And yeah, I agree on the time thing. I'm located in Denmark, so we're in the same timezone. I just thought that it couldn't hurt to be a bit early :)

That was a surprisingly solid article. Lots of trivia I thought were known only to people really into the game, so either the editor (Sam Rowe) did his research or he is a long-time Doom fan. Definitely a good read and how I would like each site to give credit to the game.

soner du said:

Source Ports news :
- Chocolate Doom v2.0.0 is out today
- Doom Retro v1.0, a new port, was also published today

Nice bit of news there! Not quite what I was thinking about, but thanks anyway :) Perhaps a mod will find this interesting news for the frontpage or something.

Yeah, the interview with Carmack is awesome! He actually appreciates the Call of Duty series for making the genre popular again. That's class!

Hehe, yeah that one caught my eye too.

Also: "I think at one point, I said it was fun offending the easily offended. Poking at the fundamentalists was at least a sub-current of picking the demons, and the pentagrams, and the goat’s heads and all the things in there."

Too bad the CoD series is pure trash though, the only game in that series I even remotely enjoyed was Finest Hour on my GameCube.

This one caught my eye:

"Sometime, years from now, all of the gory details of everything from the last year and a half or so will come out, but now is not the time to be talking about all of it."

Finally this day has dawned upon us! Happy birthday, DOOM!

"That’s something I can’t really go into much in detail. It’s been hard—one of the things that was a little bit surprising that you might not think so from the outside, but deciding exactly what the essence of Doom is, with this 20-year history, is a heck of a lot harder than you might think. You get multiple Doom fans that have different views of what the core essence of it is, and there’s been a design challenge through all of it."

The fact that they realize this is a very good thing.

PERHAPS a coincidence, but.... "Doom 3 BFG" disappeared from the Steam store. Do you think they're up to something? An update perhaps? Oh the wishful thinking...

Magnetick said:

Damn, I really dig that art. They'd all make great titlepics for one!

Patrol1985 said:

PERHAPS a coincidence, but.... "Doom 3 BFG" disappeared from the Steam store. Do you think they're up to something? An update perhaps? Oh the wishful thinking...

Yah, i noticed this too. Maybe low sales, or maybe an update. Granted, Wolf2k9 has been missing for some time now too, though a defunct link to the trailer still exists.