Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tristan

Post your astronomy pictures here!

Worth a shot I guess.
I've been getting back into my astronomy recently, and I've taken my Astromaster 130EQ out a few times. It's a reflector, so it's not perfect for Solar system objects, but it does a decent enough job.
When we manage to get a planet (or moon), we take some pictures of what we have found.
Our method isn't brilliant. We use the camera on a phone, shakily held up to the eyepiece, or a digital camera. We're going to look into a proper camera soon.

Anyway, does anyone else who likes astronomy here go out with a telescope from time to time? If so, do you take pictures? If so, post them here! Post the moon, post the planets, post nebulae, pretty much anything that isn't blank sky! :D

I'll start.

Left: Jupiter + three moons - 23 Nov 2013
Middle: Venus. Cloudy - 25 Nov 2013
Right: Moon - 20 July 2013

Annoyingly, we got Saturn, rings distinct, on the same night as that moon picture. All 6 or 7 pictures were so blurred you couldn't really tell anything. We also saw the cloud bands on Jupiter, though the camera lost that detail. Still kinda pleased with the outcome though, given the method used.
Anyway, I've started, now it's your turn! Go! (hopefully)

No camera, so it sucks on my end. Anyways, would atmospheric happenings (aurora borealis is what I have in mind) fit here too?

Surprisingly good pictures for bad camera shots.

CorSair said:

No camera, so it sucks on my end. Anyways, would atmospheric happenings (aurora borealis is what I have in mind) fit here too?

Yep! I'd love to see them one day. I'm about 10° too far south though.
Someone might even have equipment so powerful, extraterrestrial aurorae appear in this thread too

Taken out on my porch:

In all seriousness I have done a fair bit of amateur astronomy, but like CorSair I have no camera to photograph anything with. I've gotten some good views of Jupiter, Saturn, the Orion Nebula and the Pleiades from the Sierras, though. Still waiting on Mars to be visible on a night when I have my telescope available...

Don't have any pictures on this computer or anywhere in my house, but I did frequently take my crappy telescope outside and observe the moon. Our moon sure is quite beautiful up close, I'll say. I also managed to get Mars into my telescope, of course it was very blurry and unclear but you could see the redness around the planet and the aurora of the atmosphere. Again, I had a crappy telescope but it was really cool doing this stuff.

Eris Falling said:

We also saw the cloud bands on Jupiter, though the camera lost that detail.

That almost certainly has to do with exposure time. If I recall, I'm actually not sure if you can get a good picture with jupiter's cloud bands and it's moons without some really expensive optics with motorized object tracking.

I'm still waiting on Mars. It's the last easy one I have to get. Unfortunately, it's not rising at a decent time here until around March.
End of January/Start of February has Neptune+Mercury very close, which I'm definitely going to try and get.
Uranus* is quite high up at night for me at the moment and it will remain so until late February, so I'm definitely going for that, though, being virtually invisible to the unaided eye, that's a new challenge for me.

*I've had to take to calling it Planet Seven in my house for saddening reasons. Let's be mature about this ;)

EDIT: Thanks Quast. To be honest I doubt that's worth the investment. It's a shame that the detail is lost, but it's not like the pictures become completely messed up without it

Also, rather ironically, there will be no pictures from me of Eris, since I believe that to be virtually impossible with basic equipment.

My uncle had telescope and as a youngster I would sometimes gaze at stars at his balcony. Gotta buy telescope of my own when I got enough money to buy decent one.

Meh - I first need a half-decent telescope and a spot in the yard where I'm not going to be troubled by background light or trees. I wonder if the neighbors would complain if I erected a small observatory dome on the roof?

How I love Astronomy, too bad I've been so lax with doing anything related, my only telescope was quite weak and is gathering dust and spiderwebs along with a spider inside of it, I haven't touched it in years since the first year I got it.

Jupiter, this time with all 4 Galilean moons present. I probably should've adjusted the position a bit before the picture was taken. Oh well.

We tried for Neptune too this evening but I think the moon was too strong.

I do not unfortunately have a telescope of any kind to stargaze with. Not that it matters tonight because in my part of the world the sky is covered with clouds :(
Oh and I saw my first lunar halo back on November 16th. At first I was like "what the fuck is that?! Oh wait...it's a lunar halo!" It was badass, won't forget it.