Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
fraggle

DOOM RETRO v1.0 released

In celebration of Doom's 20th anniversary, Brad Harding has released DOOM RETRO, a new source port based on Chocolate Doom which makes some subtle enhancements and fixes to the game while carefully maintaining the original look and feel. A full list of changes is on the website.

Weird, running it on a 5:4 display, resolution is like 640x200, so I can only se half of the screen.

Interesting. The "fixed" text looks great, and the randomly flipped death animations spice things up a bit.
Now, add opl support and then we're talk'n.

Somehow I got the impression from news post that this was going to be a gameplay rebalancing, like Chess 2. I feel like all his effort fixing bugs and tweaking the interface was redundant, when you can load mods and change settings in ZDoom and end up with the same product. Plus he removed demos and multiplayer. Thanks but I'll pass.

pagb said:

Weird, running it on a 5:4 display, resolution is like 640x200, so I can only se half of the screen.

That is weird. What is the desktop resolution of your display? I'll look into this...

Hmm, maybe I'm missing something obvious, but I can't seem to find a way to remap the controls. Anyone have any idea, by chance?

TheUltimateDoomer666 said:

It's the first version, and Brad will certainly improve it in future updates.

Personally I think this is a great new source port. It feels and looks very good, and I love this port's subtle enhancements.

Absolutely - demos, multiplayer will return. It will take some time, but I plan on enhancing this port for many years to come... Thanks for appreciating and understanding what I've done. :)

Xaser said:

Hmm, maybe I'm missing something obvious, but I can't seem to find a way to remap the controls. Anyone have any idea, by chance?

Hi, Xaser. At this stage, you can edit the default.cfg file saved in AppData\Local\DOOM RETRO\default.cfg for the current Windows user. Not ideal, but I'm working on it! :)

Platinum Shell said:

I'm really digging it, but I wish that the mouse sensitivity went higher, because as of now, even maximum barely moves it. Still a great port.

Thanks! As for the mouse sensitivity: do you have the same problem in Chocolate Doom?

Platinum Shell said:

I've never played it to tell you the truth! But I'll download it and give it a spin and tell you in a bit man.

Hi. I've had a look into this for you.

In Chocolate DOOM (and therefore the original DOOM), mouse sensitivity can be a value between 0 and 9, changed through the options menu, with a default of 5. You can change this value to something higher by altering the default.cfg.

DOOM RETRO doubles the range to 0 to 18. Altering the value in default.cfg to something higher has no effect because that value is checked before the game starts.

It would seem some people prefer a value of up to 35 or more. I'll probably still keep the default quite low, but will allow values to be changed through the options menu of up to, say, 40. This will make it in the next release, which shouldn't be too far off...

I appreciate you looking into it, I had a few errands to run last night; I guess I should also say that I use a trackball rather than a plain mouse, so that's partly it; still being able to set the sensitivity higher would be great, though.

Got to play it a bit more, and I most say, I'm really enjoying it! A few things in particular I like:

The slight transparency you added to explosions, muzzle flash and the like.

For some reason I'm not entirely sure, I really like the chance of monsters deaths being mirrored. It adds a certain something to the scene.

Correcting the blood splatter for the cacodemon and knight/baron.

(This one may not be your idea but I'll add it anyway) A strong feeling of force when Doomguy is hit: archviles not only pop you in the air but shove you back a fair ways. Getting hit with a rocket will definitely ping pong you around the terrain, provided you survived.

The smoother, clearer yellow numbers for the all ammo counter. Much easier to read.

However, I also have a few issues:

When I launch the game, everything will be displayed correctly on my monitor (I use a 1280 x 1024) sans a tiny bit of letter-boxing, but after a few seconds the resolution will automatically change; when it changes, it will size the vertical space of my resolution correctly (bye black bars) but will increase my horizontal resolution too much; the right side of my screen is a bit cut off.

My last issue is that the SSG has some weird lighting on it's reload sprites. I put a pic on the bottom of the post that shows both this issue and the resolution issue.

Now that the pros and cons are out of the way, I have a suggestion: add an IWAD popup screen like PrBoom and ZDoom have for convenience of picking the wad you want to play. You should also throw in a config file within the Doom Retro directory so users can tweak things outside of the game, like manually setting their resolution.

All in all, I'm really digging it man. Just a few problems to squash out, and I see a staple port (for me, anyway.) Great job.

http://i.imgur.com/9154s0Dl.png

EDIT: Never mind on the config file, I found it. I guess that leads me to another suggestion: I highly recommend that you keep all Doom Retro things (screenshots, the config) within the Doom Retro directory, as it not only keeps everything concise, but it also keeps all the storage space in a location the user wants it, as some people might not have any more space on their C drive and instead use an external hard drive.

Glad to hear you're enjoying it!

Platinum Shell said:

When I launch the game, everything will be displayed correctly on my monitor (I use a 1280 x 1024) sans a tiny bit of letter-boxing, but after a few seconds the resolution will automatically change; when it changes, it will size the vertical space of my resolution correctly (bye black bars) but will increase my horizontal resolution too much; the right side of my screen is a bit cut off.

Are you using the latest version of DOOM RETRO? Version 1.1? Because that exact same issue has been reported before and as far as I know I resolved it in v1.1.

My last issue is that the SSG has some weird lighting on it's reload sprites.

Have managed to already fix this one, ready for the next version. :)

Thanks for your great suggestions. I'll take them all into consideration. You'll be happy to know that earlier today I made some changes to the code to allow for higher mouse sensitivity. v1.2 is coming along nicely!