Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Professor Sir

How good of a doom player do you consider yourself?

I'm 9 if I abuse of savegames, so I guess I'm more 8. I like to play on UV with -fast. Respawning monsters are too much for me, as I like to clear the levels of them.

Ribbiks said:

Being "good at doom" is a bit too vague. If the metric is ability to beat arbitrary difficult gameplay situations, is that with smart route planning or without foreknowledge? Does speed matter?, or perhaps consistent aptitude over long challenging maps? Your descriptions that accompany the 1-10 scale seem to mostly reflect familiarity with IWAD content, so I'm gonna go ahead and pick 7... I guess, seeing as I definitely don't have every enemy location memorized :p

yep, it's hard to quantify. is UV a challenge - but playing udoom ep1 or slaughterfest? also, as you say, handling situations known beforehand or completely new ones? that's why i like watching FDAs, even if they're tedious at times. i'd say i'm an 8 at iwads, but rather slow on new maps.

I'd give myself a 7. I've only played single player, and never completed on Nightmare, although I think I would be able to finish a well-planned NM Speed run since I've done a few UV-Fast runs.

As far as speed running is concerned (bit of a junkie here), I would place myself at least on an average scale, I don't think I'm too bad but nowhere near Doom god status though. You can of course check out my demos in the signature if you want to make up your own mind. :)

Actually I think I would be an 8.5 because I enjoy fast mode but not respawn/nightmare difficulty.

Completely average amongst Doomworld (Im practically the "average guy" playtester for Devilution compared to the much more skilled guys), fucking amazing to most other people.

Going by the list in the OP, I'd be a 7.5, I rarely ever use the BFG, preferring the PR 99% of the time, and know the layout of UD, D2 and TNT to near perfection. I also know E1 of Plutonia, but ive never played past Hunted more than once. Pretty sure ive never beaten any megawad either, but I tend to get far in the ones I play.

Probably a 5 or 6. I have no problem playing through the first three episodes of Ultimate Doom on Ultra Violence (though I still haven't beaten Inferno using keyboard only controls). But I still have a bit of trouble getting through 'Thy Flesh Consumed' and 'Doom 2' so I usually play those on Hurt Me Plenty. Since this is my first year playing Doom on PC, I'll hopefully get better in the coming years. Also I beat Doom 64 for the first time on I own Doom but Final Doom is still a bit too much of a challenge for me.

I'm a bad man! How bad? Real bad!

I'm a 12.0 on the 10.0 scale of badness! Don't need a gun...

...Guns are for wusses!

After taking a long break from DOOM, I celebrated the 20th anniversary by beating Episode 1 on Ultraviolence without dying once (only had two close calls being surrounded by pinkies/spectres).

I think that would place me at around 6?

3,5. I have actually finished Ultimate Doom (excluding Episode 4) and Doom 2 on HMP.

FireFish said:

A : in source ports not changing doom its behaviour :
-> 7. Who needs the BFG?

B : in source ports that mess around with everything
-> 6. Ultra Violence still gives me a challenge.

C : in the future based on my ever deteriorating gaming skills
-> 1. I don't remember how to shoot.

This is actually pretty accurate for me as well. As for C, I see that being the case when I get fairly old.

Problem is, in playing at my absolute best, I get bored and tired of doing it. Could I play constantly at my best? probably. Do I want to? No, I like to stretch my legs a bit.

When it comes to deathmatching I'm more like 4ish or so, maybe 5ish. My skills have deteriorated a bit due to college.

I personally think the scale should have, instead of having 999 at the end, should have gone to 11.

Or, you know, 12.0.

Better than average, but my skills are slipping as I get older. I streamed a playthrough of The Ultimate Doom (Ultra-Violence difficulty) on its birthday and died like five times. It felt horrible.

Coopersville said:

Better than average, but my skills are slipping as I get older.

Wait until you reach your 50s and start reminiscing about the "good old days".

I'm probably a 5 on my better days.

Gosh, I was going to say 4 since I'd think that 5 is "middle of the road average," but from the descriptions listed I'm kind of all over the place. I finished the first Doom with Brutal Doom earlier this year on the HMP equivalent, and got pretty far in Whispers of Satan before I was obliterated and cryquit.

Put me in multiplayer, though? I'm a 2. Also usually if there are Archies involved, I run away screaming.

I'm about a 7 on maps I've played before, a 6 on first attempts, and about a 1.5 DM player... I learned this all yesterday while participating in Saturday Nitro.

8.5 to 9

I have beaten every IWAD on UV with no real issue (secret levels as well, including "Go 2 It"). I've beaten Episode 1 on NM! as well.

Currently working on the rest on NM!.

6 and 7 are both true for me (and I don't really like the BFG that much, really), so I'm going to say... 7.

EDIT

I'd say 7.5, already finished the first episode on Nightmare with a certain mod that makes it even harder.