Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
yuri04

invisible walls

how can i create an invisible wall so that the monsters on the other side can't see or hear me? thanks

Oh yes, I'd like to know the experts' answer as well. Plutonia MAP04 has it done this way: a sector 1-unit high (ceiling=normal, floor=ceiling-1) between the player side and the monster side. The walls have no textures. "Block sound" flags. But I read somewhere that it's not very elegant solution...

Self-referencing sectors work as well, but you need to be a bit more careful with those to avoid glitchery.

do you want to be able to shoot through the wall? if no then action 242 is probably the most elegant solution if you're mapping for any boom-compat port.

Obsidian said:

Self-referencing sectors work as well, but you need to be a bit more careful with those to avoid glitchery.

i've tried making one but everytime i edit the linedefs the surrounding sectors disappear

Guest Unregistered account
yuri04 said:

I've tried making one, but every time I edit the Linedefs the surrounding sectors disappear.

Same here.

There's a good tutorial on transparent doors here:
http://www.doomworld.com/tutorials/fx5.php

A transparent wall is basically the same, except you don't need to worry about textures or control sectors.

Here's a quick one I just made:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/7jaetygg8j6wxqq/invisible_wall.wad

http://i.imgur.com/vn2Zu1r.png
For some reason DB doesn't like to draw the middle door/wall sector, so I joined it with that square so that it's easy to edit. Probably not strictly required.

Also note that I used BSP-W32 to build nodes, didn't try the others but I always use that one for any weird sector effects.

In case you want the exact process I used:
* Draw the sector outlines, set heights, other normal stuff.
* Join the middle invisible wall sector to the control square.
* Make sure the two thin sectors between the big rooms and the invisible wall are separate sectors, otherwise sound will carry through the wall.
* Make it so that the lowest numbered linedef in the invisible wall sector was on one of the 1s linedefs - the "door track", if it were a door. You can see I split a line and dragged some vertices around to the top get this.
* Change the sector reference of the "door track" linedefs to be one of the adjacent sectors. Doesn't seem to matter which one?
* Change the floor and ceiling height of the invisible wall to be 1.

Also if you're not making a vanilla-compatible level, use linedef 242 like Ribbiks said, it's much less hacky.

I find it silly that they can't see you. It's like they're overly conscious that they can't attack you, so they don't even bother waking up. I know it's an engine limitation, but I wish that if they were behind an unbreakable glass, they'd at least get restless and try to find you, than just sitting there looking funny.

:)))

i dont know what your playing, but in my case i hit the switch and they attack me bloodthursty. (its a lie, i love all the monsters, since i bought the cacodemon plush i have more and more scruple to shoot them)

seriously, the invisible wall/monster behind-method feels artifical ofc, but teleport-spawning isnt realistic either. i like it, its clever, for me its new-ish. you see the enemy, think "what will happend", prepare for it mentaly. maybe someone send croteam a video about it, so it can be in the next serious sam.

btw who invented this trap/switch/attack method?

Guest Unregistered account
printz said:

I find it silly that they can't see you. It's like they're overly conscious that they can't attack you, so they don't even bother waking up. I know it's an engine limitation, but I wish that if they were behind an unbreakable glass, they'd at least get restless and try to find you, than just sitting there looking funny.

Well, you can always just make sure they're not deaf and not put a Block sound flag on the linedefs.
In Eternal Doom Map 1, there are a bunch of Pain Elementals (On difficulties below UV, they're Imps) and Cacodemons which fly around like crazy, trying to find you. Because they're behind custom-textured forcefields.

http://www.mediafire.com/view/tqtimartq28x2dy/EternalDoomForceField.png

I vaguely remember playing a wad with an invisible door (presented by see through middle textures, like a midgrate looking thing) where there was a shotgun guy who thought it could see me and kept shooting at me but kept shooting the door. I've never been able to successfully reproduce that. I don't even remember the wad in reference, I think it was STRAIN though. I'll have to play through it again.