Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bloodshedder

Ten Years of Cacowards

BlackFish said:

I just noticed there was no mention of the OST in BTSX. It's probably one of the best original megawad OSTs in a while.

Definitely second this, also on that note kudos to Primeval for the UR soundtrack which I thought had some real gems, to be expected really.

Not really sure why BTSX is mentioned. I thought it was the worst wad of all time..... :P

Now you should get to the final release so I can do some demos. Heres hoping that next years cacowards can live up to the incredible content put out in 2013.

Okay I'm taking it upon myself to give cannonball a formal apology because his wad so deserved an award. A platinum award.

LodiB88 said:

Okay I'm taking it upon myself to give cannonball a formal apology because his wad so deserved an award. A platinum award.

We get it.

Yo, cannonball is a cool and talented guy, but Concerned has its faults. Just let him build a bigger and better cannon that will propel him all the way up.

Memfis said:

I can just give him mine since I don't accept it. =)

http://i.imgur.com/kHYOy3E.gif

I'm still reading through everything (congrats to all the winners by the way!) but I am extremely happy to see Espi get the lifetime achievement award. That is beyond awesome of you guys!

Mechadon said:

I'm still reading through everything (congrats to all the winners by the way!) but I am extremely happy to see Espi get the lifetime achievement award. That is beyond awesome of you guys!

He didnt just get it, the dang award is named after him1

Congrats to all the award winners! It's pretty unbelievable just how many quality projects released this year. I really need to play through them and get myself caught up.

Esselfortium and Xaser, I wanted to say how beautifully written your lifetime award sections were. They demonstrate the respect and awe with which the Doom Community regards its prominent members and it gives me faith that Doomworld and its community will be going strong in another ten years.

Congratulations Kaiser, you have earned this award.

Finally, I never knew Espi and have never played his levels, but I can remedy that latter point.

LodiB88 said:

Shut up Brandon and get banned

I need some other way to express "Awesome Cacowards, dudes!", currently none. So... Awesome Cacowards, dudes... I guess.

Obsidian said:

HOLY SHIT I GOT MENTIONED.

As a newcomer, lol.

Surprising that no 2013 members got mentioned there.

I think Cannonball's 'concerned' should have got a mention. It is one of the best ultimate doom wads to be made in recent years.

I can't argue for whether Concerned deserved a mention because I didn't play it. Maybe when I do I will come to a differing conclusion and regret, as with A.L.T. from the year before, that I did not push to get it in there. Ultimately the person that did play Concerned had a very strong opinion on it and even if I love it I would have had to work hard to get it in. Please, let Concerned be one of 2013's "hidden" treasures.

A strong field this year and it's a shame Concerned missed out, but maybe you could do this one for your review site kmxexii?

A review from kmxexii would be a great idea IMO, for a compromise. Too bad Alfonzo obviously was too unimpressed.

Hurray! I must confess I've only played 3 of the cacowards releases, I better get to playing!

Congratulations to all the winners and individuals recognised in this cacowards, thank you all for propagating the wheel of the demon-killing game known as Doom.

EDIT: typo

The Cacowards always go through.

Nice to see Interception get a mention - it was a great experience to work on, even if the final product was pretty uneven. Hope to see the other two big projects I've mapped for (Doom 2 in name only & TNT2) get released in 2014.

BlackFish said:

I just noticed there was no mention of the OST in BTSX. It's probably one of the best original megawad OSTs in a while.

This reminds me: how about a best soundtrack award for the 2014 ceremony?
Just an idea.

You guys did a good job with the articles, especially a lot of the sidebar stuff--bunch of really meaty content packed into that over there--I particularly appreciate the little 'What We're Waiting On' panel, seems like I learn about a couple of new WADs that way each year. Anyway, I think it's the depth of content that counts, more than the specific WADs chosen that really matters. Of course, everybody reading the Awards will probably always have at least one selection they'd change--I myself would have definitely put Hellbound in the top 10, for example--but since the real purpose of these things has always seemed like it's really to be a sort of 'year in retrospect' synopsis rather than a competitive gameshow sort of thing, this is natural and hardly something to get bent out of shape about. When you look at it this way, this year was one of the more complete iterations of the Cacowards yet, certainly worth the wait--nobody wants to see a cursory little thing like that last one written by Hobbs, a couple years ago.

I think the soundtrack award idea sounds pretty neat. BTSX E1 would've knocked that one out of the park if it had been a category this year.

This is amazing. I've been somehow absent from all the celebration, mainly because of work, and the first thing I came looking for was this. I'm very happy to see a "lifetime achievement" category, and naming it after Espi it's simply brilliant.

Having said that, two things:
-I (we, as I can see) can't stress this enough: ConC.E.R.Ned should have got at least a mention.
-In the Runners Up, it says Hadephobia has 32 levels. Maybe I'm confusing it with some other wad, because the one I have has 35.

Other than that, it's a really, really good work. Congratulations to everyone involved in this.

EDIT

Zed said:

-In the Runners Up, it says Hadephobia has 32 levels. Maybe I'm confusing it with some other wad, because the one I have has 35.

EDIT

To be fair, what I said is that it has "a definite, purposeful story carried through the entire thirty-two levels". I was thinking of Hadephobia as the main 32 levels and forgot to mention the three "outtakes" also included. Sploops!

Heh, fair enough.

Another thing. I see you have already reviewed 3 of the winners, are you planning on reviewing them all?

Zed said:

Heh, fair enough.

Another thing. I see you have already reviewed 3 of the winners, are you planning on reviewing them all?

That's the plan, plus all the nominees, though this really has no place inside of a discussion of the 20th Cacowards.

Edit: Also you can direct any complaints about Hellbound toward me, but you won't get very far because I did play it, I played all of it, and almost quit Doom again out of sheer boredom-related Doom depression. Pirate Doom and Unholy Realms brought me back, so thanks guys, and I'm sorry Z86, I just don't like Hellbound, but good job anyways