Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Infirnex

Claim Left 4 Dead 2 free for Christmas

http://store.steampowered.com/app/550

Throughout all of today, you can claim Left 4 Dead 2 for free permanently. If you don't own the game already I suggest doing this now; a great game at no cost.

Even if you don't plan on playing it, you claim it permanently so there isn't any harm done.

Merry Christmas everyone!

Steam must be desperate to sell games.

I can't touch the Steam store at all right now. Nothing but error code -118. That's even crazier than when GOG gave away Fallout a few weeks ago.

I thought it was just me (my internet is currently experiencing heavy traffic), but that would explain it.

The store - both in Steam and the webpage, is completely clogged.

i feel the need to question how anyone is going to benefit from this free giveaway when the place to get it is down and all. :P

Doomhuntress said:

i feel the need to question how anyone is going to benefit from this free giveaway when the place to get it is down and all. :P

Well when I posted it I thought the Steam store was mainly isolated to me. I was having connection issues in a lot of other sites as well, including some that stopped working; I presumed steam was the same fate.

The give away, if IIRC, doesn't end until 10:00 AM PST 12/26, so at the very least everyone has time. This has happened before with Steam (I vividly remember it happening with Portal).

Poor people who bought it for money... like me for example.

Why does ID software not take an example from it and give UD and Final Doom for free at 25th ? and even at its 20th birthday ?
ah I guess it is because they got swallowed by bethesda..

Sokoro said:

Poor people who bought it for money... like me for example.

Why does ID software not take an example from it and give UD and Final Doom for free at 25th ? and even at its 20th birthday ?
ah I guess it is because they got swallowed by bethesda..

Bethesda does things like that, though. Arena and Daggerfall are both perpetually free. I suspect the part of Zenimax that swallowed Id realizes Doom still makes a pile of money whereas the old TES games are less accessible and don't have source code to port to everything.

Yeah I bought it for $5 everything is $5 or less to me. Russians got it for less than that.

If TF2 and DOTA 2 doesn't bring people in, why would L4D2? Its still generous of them.

geo said:

Steam must be desperate to sell games.

I interpret it more as "customer appreciation," but I do understand that some people probably feel boned for losing out by having had paid for it.

Nomad said:

I interpret it more as "customer appreciation," but I do understand that some people probably feel boned for losing out by having had paid for it.

I wouldn't, I paid full price for l4d and l4d2 and making it free for life for a day doesn't bother me at all. In fact it's been fun as there have been tons of games in the past couple days with lots of new people playing and I enjoy playing with them and helping them learn the basics.

I tried the game out for a bit. It runs at a barely acceptable framerate on minimal settings on this laptop. I might monkey around with .cfg files later...

L4D2 has surpassed TF2 in terms of players at once >> http://steamcharts.com/app/550#All

Everyone and their alt account is idling L4D2 for the cards to sell. That and the Ellis Hat.

Steam is starting to get bad with phishers. I get about 4 attempts a day now. Steam won't do shit when it can easily filter out when someone links sites like stEAEmcommunity or steamNcommunity.

geo said:

Steam is starting to get bad with phishers. I get about 4 attempts a day now. Steam won't do shit when it can easily filter out when someone links sites like stEAEmcommunity or steamNcommunity.

Emails? Messages? This is new to me, I've never seen a single one.

Quast said:

I wouldn't, I paid full price for l4d and l4d2 and making it free for life for a day doesn't bother me at all. In fact it's been fun as there have been tons of games in the past couple days with lots of new people playing and I enjoy playing with them and helping them learn the basics.

That's the spirit! I already had it, but I know a couple of my friends were excited to have some new blood to enjoy the game with.

We played some L4D1 last night and it was pretty entertaining, especially since I hadn't played it before and the host decided to put it on advanced. We got to the last level in the first campaign and on our final attempt we were down to two people and killed the second tank while I was down and while we thought we were in the clear and one friend was about to revive me, he got dragged away by a smoker. Never felt more cheated in my life!

Heh, I picked up L4D2 on Black Friday not long after it came out. I don't see the problem with people getting it for free, though. After all, the game is a few years old, and things like this are great for getting new people into the game and extending its shelf life. That's just my take, though, being someone who gets bummed out when he tries to play a multiplayer game only to find out no one plays it anymore and the servers are all empty.

I am actually happy it went free. Before I only had me and my brother, but now I have a full party to play with. I'm also glad that Steam does do stuff like that.

Nomad said:

Emails? Messages?

Messages. Maybe its from my playing TF2 too much.