Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dg93

**Deathmatch Revival** FINISHED!

Joe667 said:

And also, how do I send my maps to you? Because I'm 12 and would be curious to see what the community makes of maps by a Doomer of that age.

I'd recommend getting Dropbox. That's what I use.

Joe667 said:

And also, how do I send my maps to you? Because I'm 12 and would be curious to see what the community makes of maps by a Doomer of that age.

I recommend using mediafire.com to upload wads and provide download links. At the moment there are no more map submissions, even though I am waiting on joe-ilya's revised map.

Send it to me anyway if you want, because I am curious to see what someone your age is capable of making.

Guest Unregistered account
doomguy93 said:

Send it to me anyway if you want, because I am curious to see what someone your age is capable of making.

Well, you're not going to see the full potential because WARNING SPOILERS it's essentially an eye-candy made-for-DM hell version of Dead Simple.

Well, thanks for letting me! I'll work hard to make this map. By the way, is there a limit to how many maps you can make?

There's never been a hard limit to how many maps you can make; but you're better off concentrating on making one or two good maps instead of pumping out a lot of average maps. Quality over quantity.

joepallai said:

There's never been a hard limit to how many maps you can make; but you're better off concentrating on making one or two good maps instead of pumping out a lot of average maps. Quality over quantity.

I agree with Joe here. Quality over quantity is important as well as gameplay over graphics (that is of course if the design is an complete eyesore and it negatively affects the gameplay).

doomguy93 said:

I agree with Joe here.

Which one? :D

JUST JOKING!

@Omegalore, I revised "Inferno Arena" and it is here in this link: http://www.mediafire.com/download/253u8g713i89kqq/INFERNO+ARENA+_DG93+version.zip

I tried my best to edit your original layout, but it really wasn't working out well. The gameplay was still weak even with the connectivity add-ons I made. The new version is totally different, but I still kept similar design elements of a Hell theme. The new map is reminiscent of E1M8. It flows very well and it has a nice balance of textures. I cut and pasted a couple of the lava craters in the map from your original design.

Would you like to add more detail to it yourself? I think the boundaries outside the arena could use quite a bit of fine detailing, such as some Hellish scenery of volcanos and other neat stuff. That would take some time off my hands.

I'm still going to give you credit for the map.

See images:

joe-ilya said:

Too many to choose!

lol! I know right??

By the way, I saw your PM, and I will do more of a thorough examination of your map "Unfinished Cement"

Right now it is 5:00 am (United States Eastern Coastline) and I need some sleep lol I will get back to you as soon as possible.

-DG93

I just had a quick browse through the latest beta, some things popped up;

-the new sound effect for the SSG is really wimpy, you need something with more oomph.
-regarding the sound effects and new sprites in general, it might be better just to gut all these out of the wad completely because they aren't too great imo. For example the pickup and teleport sounds are quite annoying.
-computer screens have been added to Powerplant - these look bad and ruin the theme (those corridors were supposed to resemble map01's) and they also snag players on the edges.
-again with Powerplant a lot of the items seem to be missing. Are they tagged correctly for deathmatch play, or were they removed? Something odd here.

Captain Toenail said:

I just had a quick browse through the latest beta, some things popped up;

-the new sound effect for the SSG is really wimpy, you need something with more oomph.
-regarding the sound effects and new sprites in general, it might be better just to gut all these out of the wad completely because they aren't too great imo. For example the pickup and teleport sounds are quite annoying.
-computer screens have been added to Powerplant - these look bad and ruin the theme (those corridors were supposed to resemble map01's) and they also snag players on the edges.
-again with Powerplant a lot of the items seem to be missing. Are they tagged correctly for deathmatch play, or were they removed? Something odd here.

I appreciate your input. Personally I like the new sounds, but I do see what you mean by the wimpy sound of the SSG. I can edit it to make it have more of an 'oomph' sound. The black glove sprites I might remove though.

Regarding Power Plant. I'll remove the computers. They were added because a reviewer suggested it stating "if you are going to call a map Power Station, at least add some computers and tech stuff" what items from it are missing?

Well, pretty much all the items are missing. There's only 1 shotgun, 1 rocket and two shells, and these are all located in the new corridor. I loaded the map up in deathmatch and single player mode, and on ultravoilence and nightmare, same problem. This is weird because it definitely wasn't the case when I last updated the map.

The map is called Powerplant because it is based on the layout of Powerstation 0218 from Quake3 - it was a merely a speedmap with gameplay in mind.

Captain Toenail said:

Well, pretty much all the items are missing. There's only 1 shotgun, 1 rocket and two shells, and these are all located in the new corridor. I loaded the map up in deathmatch and single player mode, and on ultravoilence and nightmare, same problem. This is weird because it definitely wasn't the case when I last updated the map.

The map is called Powerplant because it is based on the layout of Powerstation 0218 from Quake3 - it was a merely a speedmap with gameplay in mind.

Update** I removed the computer screens. I'm currently looking into the thing placement issue.

doomguy93 said:

@Omegalore, I revised "Inferno Arena" and it is here in this link: http://www.mediafire.com/download/253u8g713i89kqq/INFERNO+ARENA+_DG93+version.zip

I tried my best to edit your original layout, but it really wasn't working out well. The gameplay was still weak even with the connectivity add-ons I made. The new version is totally different, but I still kept similar design elements of a Hell theme. The new map is reminiscent of E1M8. It flows very well and it has a nice balance of textures. I cut and pasted a couple of the lava craters in the map from your original design.

Would you like to add more detail to it yourself? I think the boundaries outside the arena could use quite a bit of fine detailing, such as some Hellish scenery of volcanos and other neat stuff. That would take some time off my hands.

I'm still going to give you credit for the map.

See images:

Love he design. May need to change some textures since Odamex doesn't allow flats as textures. I've seen ADEL_F09 (FLAT) as a texture.

Omegalore said:

Love he design. May need to change some textures since Odamex doesn't allow flats as textures. I've seen ADEL_F09 (FLAT) as a texture.

I'm glad you like it Omegalore. Do you want to do some detailing outside the arena? If not I'll do some editing.

doomguy93 said:

I'm glad you like it Omegalore. Do you want to do some detailing outside the arena? If not I'll do some editing.

Sure. Did add volcanoes by using slopes.

Omegalore said:

Sure. Did add volcanoes by using slopes.

Awesome, send it to me asap.

@Captain Toenail, all the thing placements are showing up for me in your map "Power Plant" when I test is using Zandronum. Let me know if this problem still exists when beta 3 is released.

doomguy93 said:

Awesome, send it to me asap.

Eugh! Tested version you gave me, missing textures on Odamex. The one I detailed (well a little), there are textures. Had to use XWE to make things easier to get PNAMES and TEXTURES1. I know it's outdated, but I use SLADE 3 most of the time.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cb7w9386d59yrrf/INFERNO%20ARENA%20_DG93%20versionb.wad

Omegalore said:

Eugh! Tested version you gave me, missing textures on Odamex. The one I detailed (well a little), there are textures. Had to use XWE to make things easier to get PNAMES and TEXTURES1. I know it's outdated, but I use SLADE 3 most of the time.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cb7w9386d59yrrf/INFERNO%20ARENA%20_DG93%20versionb.wad

Not too bad, I'll throw in a little more editing too. Thanks! I hate Odamex. It always gives me problems with textures.

Hey everyone, I hope you guys had a good holiday. Beta 3 is anticipated to be released sometime next week. A lot of progress has been made. Enzo03's map09 as well as Agaures's map05 have been cut due to negative feedback from outside playtesters. MAP09 is currently reserved for joe-ilya. He is in the process of revising his "Unfinished Cement" map. Joepallai is also in the process of editing MAP26 "Hell Halls."

Here is the new CREDITS screen. Some author's names were removed and a few new ones have been added.

Beta 3 will have some new midis, sounds, & sprites.

My biggest concern at the moment with DMR is that it is not working with Odamex. I think there is a problem with the textures or pnames in the wad that is causing Odamex to crash whenever I try playtesting it. I'm not getting these errors with Zandronum or Skulltag though. If somebody can help fix this problem, please PM me ASAP.

-DG93

All righty! Here it is: Assuming it gets in. Tell me if it's good enough to continue and then I'll finish it and send you the final version.

https://www.mediafire.com/?33rgfwbi3pxb3jk,7fljwp3syfbruiy

Edit: I also uploaded a .txt file, but it doesn't seem to appear. Well, basically I wanted the music to be "Demons on the Prey" from Doom.

Edit #2: The map name, obviously, is The Nightmare World. I don't know how to change the map name, though, so it's still "Entryway". :(

Joe667 said:

All righty! Here it is: Assuming it gets in. Tell me if it's good enough to continue and then I'll finish it and send you the final version.

https://www.mediafire.com/?33rgfwbi3pxb3jk,7fljwp3syfbruiy

Edit: I also uploaded a .txt file, but it doesn't seem to appear. Well, basically I wanted the music to be "Demons on the Prey" from Doom.

Edit #2: The map name, obviously, is The Nightmare World. I don't know how to change the map name, though, so it's still "Entryway". :(

So I just tested it out. And visually it looks pretty decent. It looks very similar to some of the maps from Skulltag, which is cool in my opinion. The sky texture is missing and there are no DM player starts, which is a problem that can easily be fixed. The map set is WAY too small for even 4 players. It needs more corridor routes for good gameplay. I can tell that this map is still in progress, but at this point I don't think I will be having anymore new submissions for DMR. I am waiting on joe-ilya's revisions for MAP09 and I don't want DMR to have more than 35 levels. And please don't take this the wrong way, I was really impressed that someone your age was even able to design a map like yours. Keep working on this map and maybe you can use it for another DM project. There is also a chance of a sequel to DMR (depending on how successful the first one is) so you might be able to use the contents of your map for a DMR 2. I appreciate your effort though. Keep at it :)

To change the name of your map, you would have to make a MAPINFO file using XWE or SLADE 3.

It would look something like this:

map MAP01 "The Nightmare World"
next MAP02
sky1 SKY1 0
music D_RUNNIN

Hope that helps!

-DG93

No DM starts? That's odd, I added one (for testing). And of course it's not ready for 4-8 players, I only uploaded this so everyone could get a taste of what my maps are like, then if everyone liked it I could continue it. :)

If items aren't appearing, remember it runs for Skulltag.
And also it was in fact inspired by the awesome Skulltag map D2DM7: Linguica's Lair.

doomguy93 said:

The sky texture is missing...

As for no sky, I'm not sure what that's all about. If you look in Doom Builder 2 you should see a skybox I've made.

Joe667 said:

No DM starts? That's odd, I added one (for testing). And of course it's not ready for 4-8 players, I only uploaded this so everyone could get a taste of what my maps are like, then if everyone liked it I could continue it. :)

If items aren't appearing, remember it runs for Skulltag.
And also it was in fact inspired by the awesome Skulltag map D2DM7: Linguica's Lair.

As for no sky, I'm not sure what that's all about. If you look in Doom Builder 2 you should see a skybox I've made.

The reason why I am getting some missing sky textures is most likely because I used Zandronum. I don't really use skulltag anymore these days unless I want to play some of the skulltag specific levels.

OK but... I've played it with Zandronum too, and... the sky was there. 0_0

Joe667 said:

OK but... I've played it with Zandronum too, and... the sky was there. 0_0

This is what I am seeing when I play it using Zandronum.