Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Professor Sir

How good of a doom player do you consider yourself?

I'd say around 8 or 9. My biggest problem is sometimes I get a little excited and get myself into trouble by rushing, but can usually get myself out of trouble with unorthodox solutions. Also, I enjoy maps that force me to use the stingy amount of ammo provided. Hate levels with multiple, easily-found megaspheres and enough ammo to keep me fully stocked at all times.

I don't play a lot of DM anymore. But when I used to, I usually swung from getting smoked about 40% of time to running a map and griefing everyone else.

If I sucked, I wouldn't have much of an excuse. I've been playing Doom pretty much since it came out on all platforms except the 32X and 3DO (my brother collected these platforms but wouldn't let me open 'em up).

Hmm... I just beat Ultimate Doom on Ultra-Violence, which still gives me a challenge, but I also never use the BFG, so... I don't know, 6, maybe 6.5? That feels a little high, though, considering I don't think I'm all that good. :P

Don't know why but I always think of Quake 3 with these types of questions. I beat Alien Vendetta (new version) on ultra violence with chocolate-doom (no limits and no cheats; vertical mouse was enabled and had to switch weapons with number keys). Loved the big levels in that WAD (was PO'd when I first got a third of the way through and Doom2 1.9 crashed). My next goal is beating Hell Revealed. Any other way of playing Doom is just cheating for me (mouse wheel to switch weapons, no vertical mouse movement; it's literally possible without vertical mouse movement to stand on narrow pillars and aim crookedly without falling).

Holering said:

Any other way of playing Doom is just cheating for me (mouse wheel to switch weapons, no vertical mouse movement;

You do know that Mouse spring (that's the vertical movement) could be disabled in Vanilla Doom, right? Chocolate Doom allows it as well.

Now for the mouse wheel I can understand being un-vanilla-like, but it's not much more helpful than the numbers. A quick switch versus scrolling through them all is much easier to do.

Somewhere around a 7. I've had others tell me that Doom is really difficult and when people watch me play (especially on Brutal Doom), they're amazed at how overwhelming the packs of enemies can get. I never play Nightmare and I've certainly not remembered the location of each enemy. But I can pistol start most of the original maps all right, and when I play user mods on Brutal Doom, I can usually do pretty well. I've also managed to kick major ass on PSX Final Doom, if that counts for anything, considering there's no in-game saves and the controller is a bit difficult to use for FPSing.

I'm not really that good, considering the fact that I suck without mouse aiming and without quicksaving. I should train. (Or play on something lower than Ultra-Violence... nah.)

Infirnex said:

You do know that Mouse spring (that's the vertical movement) could be disabled in Vanilla Doom, right?

Through a TSR. I can see why someone might consider that cheating, even though it's accepted by the majority of players.

Fellowzdoomer said:

I can take a cyber down with just a shotgun, if thats what you mean.

I can too, but I think it's not a sign of skill but rather... foolishness, as it just takes more time, while doing the same job other weapons would do.

Fellowzdoomer said:

I can take a cyber down with just a shotgun, if thats what you mean.

I can too. I can also do it with a pistol and, given with enough time, the Fists as well. It's not a sign of skill; a cyber isn't that hard to kill, but rather a sign of patience (or bad map design).

AFAIK though, in all official IWADs a Cyberdemon isn't encounter till you at least get the Rocket Launcher.

Magnetick said:

I can be pretty good depending on how I am feeling.

Most likely a 7.5. I've kicked myself a collective ass once or thrice.

Is thrice a word?

I'm about here.

Hell Revealed still pisses me off though.

Eh, I dunno. "Good enough to have fun on any mapset in Survival" is probably the best way of putting it.

Fellowzdoomer said:

I can take a cyber down with just a shotgun

Well done, you have learned how to strafe. "Basic Movement" medal acquired!

BaronOfStuff said:

Well done, you have learned how to strafe. "Basic Movement" medal acquired!

W/o taking damage. In a tight corridor. With 98 shells (maybe more, depending on my aim.)

Besides, point blanking a cyber is a more difficult challenge...

5 on a good day but more often than not around the 4 mark. I've played Doom for a long time now and I don't think I've really improved much. In Zdaemon or (then) Skulltag I don't think I won a single match over about 3 years of online play!

Average said:

5 on a good day but more often than not around the 4 mark. I've played Doom for a long time now and I don't think I've really improved much. In Zdaemon or (then) Skulltag I don't think I won a single match over about 3 years of online play!

Your name says it all then. :D

I'm a 4.5. I can play HMP just fine, it's that I'm still fairly new to the game, and I'm working on getting better all the time.

Yep. That's why I chose it. Average by name, Average by nature... It applies to all games by the way!

Average said:

Yep. That's why I chose it. Average by name, Average by nature... It applies to all games by the way!

Haha. *starts making the easiest wad ever*

I think I am somewhere between a 10 and a 999. I definitely won't claim to have skills in another plane of existence because I believe my skills are a result of hard work and determination.

xit-vono said:

I think I am somewhere between a 10 and a 999. I definitely won't claim to have skills in another plane of existence because I believe my skills are a result of hard work and determination.

OMFG, you're back!!! I thought I'll never see you posting here again.

EDIT: BTW, will your NM run of Requiem MAP14 be uploaded to doomedsda.us? I think the last one was post-helled, I don't know why, but it would be cool if we could have it at doomedsda. Also, do you plan on making more demos?

EDIT2: Orthography.

It was post-helled because it doesn't exist. That thread was just a kind of a rick-roll (using Rick James instead of Rick Astley)

Hold on.

I know what's a "Rickroll", and how it's used. But I swear I saw that demo. I don't understand what do you mean by "it doesn't exist". Are you trying to say that it was a fake?