Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
ReX

SLADE Doesn't Work Well With JPEG Format Images

I've tried both the official version (3.02) and the latest beta (3.10) and I can't see JPEG format images in the texture editor. The textures appear in the list of wad lumps (and in-game), but they just don't get displayed in SLADE's texture editor.

I have many jpeg format textures in the wad but outside the "standard" markers (e.g., patches & flats), and have defined them in a TEXTURES lump. These do not get displayed when I am in the texture editing mode.

Also, I have tried inserting a jpeg image between the P_START& P_END markers to indicate that it is a patch, added it to the P_NAMES lump to assign it a patch ID, and added it to the TEXTURE1 lump to create a texture. Unfortunately, I get the error message:

"Patch PWALL1 is of type "Graphic (JPEG)", which is not a valid gfx format for patches. Convert it to either Doom Gfx or PNG"

In other words, I can't save my changes to the TEXTURE1 definitions. unless I first convert the JPEG image into DooM Gfx format.

Basically, it will not let me work natively with JPEG format graphics, and I wasn't sure if there is a work-around.

That's because jpeg currently isn't set as a valid format for patches. It's pretty simple to change - in slade.pk3 there is 'config/entry_types/types_gfx_std.txt', in the jpeg type change 'extra = image;' to 'extra = image, patch;'.

I'll set this as default for the next beta/version.

sirjuddington said:

That's because jpeg currently isn't set as a valid format for patches. It's pretty simple to change - in slade.pk3 there is 'config/entry_types/types_gfx_std.txt', in the jpeg type change 'extra = image;' to 'extra = image, patch;'.

I'll set this as default for the next beta/version.

Excellent! Thanks for the prompt and precise reply.