Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ferguson

Marines' appearance in ROE

Is it just me, but does the Marine in ROE look like he is suffering from a severe head injury? Especially in the cutscene when he first gets to the scientist with the tablet. Poor guy looks a bit befuddled and cross eyed.

ferguson said:

Is it just me, but does the Marine in ROE look like he is suffering from a severe head injury? Especially in the cutscene when he first gets to the scientist with the tablet. Poor guy looks a bit befuddled and cross eyed.

I've heard his expression referred to as "the look of a retarded panda" by somebody who even liked it.

I dunno, I kinda just think Nerve weren't that great at doing facial expressions in id Tech 4. None of the characters do them very well and instead over-compensate with broad body language gestures (check out Elizabeth McNeil waving her arms all over the place for the chief example).

I thought he looked like a high-functioning retard and I liked it. He's looking at everything like he's vaguely confused rather than afraid. When you think about it, makes a lot of sense for the average mute FPS protagonist shooting everything with little concern for his safety. Also justifies his complete lack of fear against all odds, the handholding from NPCs, and the inability to figure out simple solutions to obstacles blocking his path, locked doors and so on (not sure this happens all that much in Doom, but I'm talking other games).

Certainly beats "dude mentally scarred by the horrors of war in which his best pal died proceeds to brutally murder about four hundreds grunts to get to big bad guy, which he then doesn't kill because it happens in a cutscene and it's all about doing the humane thing and shit".

Avoozl said:

Is he the same guy from the main game, he looks like an older version.

It's actually a different marine, which I do believe is around the same time as the events of Doom 3 unless im mistaking

Edit: Oh, turns out I was wrong, what she actually said was "I know this isn't the first time that we've faced this but I need more information", I don't know how I remembered it differently.

I seem to remember McNeil implying that you've done this before with the whole hell thing or something, I may have to replay it just to confirm what she actually says.

Shaviro said:

We've dubbed him "Crooked eyesight mongoloid marine" on the Phobos team.

I shot coffee out my nose when I read this. I am a bad person.
That thing with McNeil waving her arms, I always figured she was suffocating in that shrink wrapped uniform.

Avoozl said:

Is he the same guy from the main game, he looks like an older version.

RoE's intro states there is only one survivor after what happened in the events of Doom 3. perhaps he was happy not to come back again to Mars and let some other nameless marine take care of everything instead. :p

ferguson said:

I think his appearance is based on most Doom fans.