Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Death Egg

Switcheroom! Or, what if E1M1 was E3M1? (Release Candidate 3, aiming for whenever)

Okay cool, but that's an older version of the map without multiplayer stuff. Do you have a preference on which version to use? Otherwise I can update the map later today or tomorrow, combining elements of both Schwerpunks & my own version.

schwerpunk added these settings on my request so obviously his efforts shouldn't go to waste but if you think you can improve on them I guess go for it. :)

gothic said:

Just for fun, I made an alternate E4-1M2, if you want to put it with the other map combinations.
https://www.mediafire.com/?90r0cxqpdg6dftt

Not bad. If it was intended for actual inclusion I'd whine a bit since it seems to be less "E4M2 as an E1 map" and more of a map loosely inspired by E4M2's layout with a LOT of E1M2 homages. But it's a good take and has a solid E1 feel.

gothic said:

Just for fun, I made an alternate E4-1M2, if you want to put it with the other map combinations.
https://www.mediafire.com/?90r0cxqpdg6dftt

Even though homage-y, it's a great one. I like all the particular parts, on each cardinal direction there's some design I simply adore. Definitely thank you for creating this one, it'd shine even outside of Switcheroom.

E3M6 was worse in the sense of homage-y-ness, IMO, but there it was vice versa with the imitated maps. I wasn't pleased by that, but the map was okay, considering it's an E3 map.

Well since Death Egg hasn't come by & compiled all the updates in awhile I'll just go ahead & post this to make it easier for him when he comes back Switcharoom

Updated maps since Death Eggs last version on 12/12/2013

E1M5 Added Deathmatch
E1M3 Tweaked Multiplayer
E1M8 Added Deathmatch
E2M2 Added Deathmatch
E2M3 Added Deathmatch & Difficulty Settings
E2M4 Bug Fix & Added Difficulty Settings
E2M5 Tweaked Multiplayer
E2M6 Tweaked Multiplayer
E3M2 Added Deathmatch & Difficulty Settings
E3M3 Added Deathmatch
E3M4 Updates based on feedback
E3M5 Added Deathmatch
E3M9 Tweaked Multiplayer
E4M2 Added Difficulty Settings
E4M5 Added Deathmatch & Partially implemented Difficulty Settings
E4M8 Added Difficulty Settings

We are still waiting on updated versions of E1M2 & E2M9, how are these maps coming guys?

Recently i've played the gothic version of E4M2 as e1, pretty cool and compact map, but in some parts i can't found the way to get in some secret

Okay guys I think it's about time to start pushing this thing toward a beta release. We are still waiting on 2 maps so during that time I think we should go through & fix any major issues that we can find.

1. Vanilla Compatibility - has anyone actually done a playthrough to make sure all maps are vanilla?

2. Fix any bugs that break the map - stuck monsters, actions that don't work, areas that you can get stuck in.

3. Incorrect texturing - Incorrectly pegged doors & windows, misaligned textures. If you can, get the authors permission by sending them a PM first, several people have stated that they don't see incorrect texturing as a mistake.

4. Test Coop

5. Test Deathmatch

6. Why is there a Cyberdemon in E1M6?

@Walter - How is your E1M2 coming along? It's been over 40 days in development & we haven't gotten any updates as to how close it is to being done.

@Capellan - It's January now, will you have a chance to start the new E2M9 anytime soon or are you still busy?

Jaws In Space said:

1. Vanilla Compatibility - has anyone actually done a playthrough to make sure all maps are vanilla?

Sorry, nope. I only playtested my own map in Chocolate Doom.

2. Fix any bugs that break the map - stuck monsters, actions that don't work, areas that you can get stuck in.

I think that's OK with my map.

3. Incorrect texturing - Incorrectly pegged doors & windows, misaligned textures. If you can, get the authors permission by sending them a PM first, several people have stated that they don't see incorrect texturing as a mistake.

As I stated earlier, misalignments in my map were intentional (and those that weren't, were already fixed).

4. Test Coop

5. Test Deathmatch

Maybe we can arrange a "multiplayer party" for this :P

WUT? xD

Jaws In Space said:
@Capellan - It's January now, will you have a chance to start the new E2M9 anytime soon or are you still busy? [/B]

I expect I will do it the weekend of the 11th-12th.

Jaws In Space said:

Just for a joke ;o)

It has no skill flags set so is only going to be seen in an editor.

Jaws In Space said:

@Walter - How is your E1M2 coming along? It's been over 40 days in development & we haven't gotten any updates as to how close it is to being done. [/B]

Erm... I felt ashamed to wrote this but... i don't touched that map from december, fuck.

I had also a idea to let the Gothic version of this map in the official list...

walter confalonieri said:

Erm... I felt ashamed to wrote this but... i don't touched that map from december, fuck.

I had also a idea to let the Gothic version of this map in the official list...

Are you sure? Would you mind posting what you have done so far to see if we could help you finish it? If not then there was still this version of your old map which I had heavily edited to make it more resemble E4M2.

@Gothic: If Walter does end up giving you the E1M2 slot then you will have to make a lot of changes to remove the E1M2 elements from your map.

EDIT: https://www.mediafire.com/?mjpnajf7j9rq6k1 here's what i did on my other version of e1m2...

also, i download your revamped version of old e1m2, thanks for the work in advance!

EDIT 2: played to your revamp, jaws in space, and it's pretty cool actually! Fixed litle textures bug i've found on chocorenderlimits: https://www.mediafire.com/?m0tb0xtv335hddl

Switcharoom Bugfix for Episode 1

Okay guys I have played E1 to death this weekend & I have removed any bugs I could find.

E1M1
-Slime trails around green armor at start of map
-Slime trails in Zig Zag nukage area
-Tutti-frutti on steps in outdoor area
-Texture adjustments in secret E1M1 area
E1M2
-Changed to Walters map with heavy edits that I had done
E1M3
-Some texture changes
-Fixed texture pegging in rocket launcher secret
-Changed a few Demons into Specters
E1M4
-Fixed texture pegging on lift in slime pit
E1M5
-Fixed several tutti-frutti on steps around circular stairs
-Fixed pegging on secret lift to soul sphere
-Fixed 1 of 2 slime trails in large outdoor area at the start (I have no idea why I can't fix the other one)
E1M6
-Removed cyberdemon
E1M7
-Tidied up visuals in area by 2 red key & yellow key doors
-Adjusted some textures by blue key
E1M8
-Nothing
E1M9
-Fixed alignment of Metal texture above nukage pit
-Added some Support2 textures to nukage pit to separate Brown1 & Brown96 textures
E2M1
-Fixed slime trail in plasma gun room

noticed that door bug too, anyway yesterday i started playing this new revision on vanilla doom.exe and i don't found any type of hard bugs or errors so far, expect the e4-1m2 ones... the new e1m9 is pretty huge and spacious instead the early versions of that map...

scifista42 said in another thread, about possible Switcheroom 2:
What about themes "base, city, hell"? Pick any map that definitely isn't a base, and tweak it into a base style. The same with all 32 maps. Then reassign map numbers. Have 11 base maps, then 9 city maps, 10 hell maps - and 2 Nazi maps. :)

EDIT: Or perhaps don't even rely on these numbers, just place all the base maps first, then city and hell, and have 2 Nazi slots. That would solve potential problems with picking mapslots and theme assigning. ("We can't give you this slot, because then this other slot would have to be a theme it can't be" paradoxes)

gothic said in that thread:
How about "Switcheroom 2: PluTNT edition"? I think mixing both megawad styles would be easier than mixing Doom 2 maps, 16 maps from TNT with Plutonia style and vice versa.

Link to the thread.

I'm posting this here to ask if people would be up for any of these ideas, eventually. Either after Switcheroom 1 is finished, or before. I enjoyed participating in Switcheroom and would like to see a sequel.

scifista42 said:

I enjoyed participating in Switcheroom and would like to see a sequel.

On that subject, I started a space-base version of Spirit World about a week ago, it's about half finished, architecturally. I'll add some screens in the linked thread at some point.

Switcharoom Bugfix for Episode 2

On to E2, I have removed any bugs I could find.

I also played E2M7 for the first time & found the visuals to be really all over the place & downright ugly in a lot of areas, I went through & made tons of texture changes throughout the map & some very minor changes to the layout. Scifista42, let me know what you think of the changes that I made to the map.

E2M1
-Slime trail in plasma gun room
E2M2
-Fixed Slime trails around Blue Armor secret
-Added missing textures to bridge that raises up in blood pit
E2M3
-Fixed multiple slime trails in nukage pit leading to blue key
-Texture alignment in star tan room
-Door that had 2 switch textures on it now only has 1
-Fixed Tutti-frutti on steps by sitch to raise bridge to exit
E2M4
-Texture alignment in room behind Berzerk pack
-Changed slow crushers in hallway into fast crushers
-Fixed tuti-fruttis on lights near blue key door
-Fixed Multiple tuti-fruttis on Step5 textures throughout the map
-Added missing texture to cross on floor
E2M5
-Fixed slime trails throughout the map
-Fixed tutti-frutti on exit signs
-some texture adjustments
E2M6
-Nothing
E2M7
-Massive visual overhaul
E2M8
-Nothing
E2M9
*WIP*

Wow, great job Jaws In Space.

Jaws In Space said:

E2M2
-Fixed Slime trails around Blue Armor secret

#1) Thank you.
#2) HOW?! :O

schwerpunk said:

#2) HOW?! :O

I had to remove the 2 light sectors surrounding the blue armor sector. I tried to save them any way I could, but it just wasn't happening, even changing the blood to a non liquid texture didn't work.

Also, I was wondering why you didn't use sky for the outside areas?

@Jaws In Space (since you seem to be our compiler, fixer, and keeper of updates)

I've made a few small cosmetic and gameplay changes to e4m1 here. I would have PMed but I wasn't sure how often you check them.