Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Zed

How to remember WADs

Hi there, fellow doomers.

I'm with you again to ask another question (duh!).

All of us (or most of us) have been through this at least once. You play an incredible/amazing/etc. map. You enjoy it, finish it. Then you forget it. Then you remember about such wad. You keep searching for weeks/months/years and you can't find it. You have no idea of how it ended up in your laptop/PC, and you want to play it again. Not even this thread can help you.

So, having said this, what do you do to remember certain/specific wads? There are tens of thousands of wads out there. Do you have some kind of "strategy" to remember wads you haven't see/play in years? Can you find them, even after 5-10 years? Do you look into your Doom folder(s) for days, or you just go into idgames and try to find it?

I know this question might be quite irrelevant/stupid, but I've lost days trying to remember specific wads/levels and, to this day, I haven't been able to do it successfully.

Thanks and good day.

Music? Even if it's a piece of music that's been used multiple times in various wads, it usually reminds me of the first wad that I played with it. Obviously this doesn't help the people with custom playlists.

If you want to go all hardcore, try organising a database of some sort. Enter everything you play there, use some thematic tags and other notes to make quick search possible, maybe add screenshots too.

For some stuff like books/movies/anime there are specific sites where you can maintain such lists. Would be cool if there was a Doom one as well, maybe it could be integrated with doomworld.com/idgames even. I'm using myanimelist.net for keeping track of anime that I watch and it's incredibly helpful.

Obsidian said:

Music? Even if it's a piece of music that's been used multiple times in various wads, it usually reminds me of the first wad that I played with it. Obviously this doesn't help the people with custom playlists.

Yes, that's correct, and it was one of the main reasons I wanted to ask this. You may remember the music, but a lot of wads use the same music for different levels, and vice versa. And what about unkown/obscure but great wads that use known/mainstream songs? Or, as you said, people with custom playlists?

Memfis said:

If you want to go all hardcore, try organising a database of some sort. Enter everything you play there, use some thematic tags and other notes to make quick search possible, maybe add screenshots too.

For some stuff like books/movies/anime there are specific sites where you can maintain such lists. Would be cool if there was a Doom one as well, maybe it could be integrated with doomworld.com/idgames even. I'm using myanimelist.net for keeping track of anime that I watch and it's incredibly helpful.

OK, but what program/software should I use? Let's say I remember a wad with a lot of mountains. Or a lot of tech-bases. Or pits. There isn't nothing like it in/within the Doom database/community, as I understand it, and it's unlikely it will be done any time soon, am I right?

kmxexii said:

You could always review them as you play them, it's a lot of effort though

Heh, I think that could be a little time-consuming, especially for casual play.

I remember them by what they contain. Some have epic music, some have amazing visuals or a very strong theme, some are a journey that gets ingrained in my head.

And, obviously, some are from people I know or have a lot of respect for. Some still, I helped to create!

Depends what sort of memory you have. I find that if I read the txt as well as playing the wad, I tend to remember it, or at least enough about it to find it some time later.

Zed said:

OK, but what program/software should I use?

You could start with OpenOffice Calc (or its MS Office counterpart) - with columns for the /idgames database URL, wad title, notes, hyperlinks to screenshots and whatever else you feel like adding.

I keep a review log.
In the review I put down a rating 0.0 to 5.0, sometimes rate some aspects separately (like the graphics were a 5.6, but the play was 3.0).
Separately translate this to an appropriate rating for an Id game wad review.
A brief description of the theme, and how well it modeled the theme.
Was it linear, did it play well, and was the design interesting,
Write down details that I liked and what I did not like.
Always record the irritating details like too many monsters, lack of ammo, or excessive symmetry.

A must is to record what settings were needed to play it, like the game, and any pwad needed for missing textures.

Every once and a while I post some of the reviews to the Id game wad review.

I keep new wads in a several separate directories until they are played.
I also sort the wads into directories according to game requirements.

I generally just put gameplay mods in one folder, and level wads in another. If I give the folder a custom icon and put it on my desktop, I don't forget it.

I also make shortcuts that automatically load specific files, or just keep the command to load the file handy.

I take screenshots and post them in the wiki, then I can remember the WAD.

Touchdown said:

I keep everything I've ever played unless it's trash. So if I want to play it I've got it ready to go.

I also do that. But even then, I have like 5,000 "good" wads, so even if it's easier than searching through the entire idgames archive and/or 50-60 shovelware CDs, it's still a little time consuming.

Having said that, there are some cool ideas here, I'll try out some of them.

Thanks and good day.

EDIT: Missing words.

I've used a note pad and a pen to write down filenames of maps I liked that I'd like to check more than once.

Obsidian's suggestion works but i haven't been able to utilize it successfully. Sometimes I'll listen to a new CD ive never heard before with a wad I've never played before, and somehow images of those maps remain permanently in my mind whenever I listen to it.

I haven't looked into it much really but I think I would have more trouble accidentally creating permanent images of maps I wouldn't mind forgetting and running out of original music to play maps to.