Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doominator2

Your most frustrating moment?

I was trying to do a run through on Ultimate Dom without dying, I saved when I quit, but returned to continue. I was dong really well, but for some reason when messing about I accidentally overwrote my saved game.....guess Doom guy died in his sleep....very sad :(

Doom 2 map 19 - Citadel. Fank you, Sandy Petersen for this fckng map.

Soul sphere trap. After teleporting you can't escape room with demons. No switches, no teleporters or doors. Great.

DeXiaZ said:

Soul sphere trap. After teleporting you can't escape room with demons. No switches, no teleporters or doors. Great.

Nope.

No, he's wrong because there's still a way out.

It's definitely unintuitive, but I bet my nuts that Sandy's thought process was something along the lines of "the player will shoot at the caged Imps, raising the platform in the process". Stupid design for sure, but no matter how you look at it you're not truly stuck at any point.

BaronOfStuff said:

It's definitely unintuitive, but I bet my nuts that Sandy's thought process was something along the lines of "the player will shoot at the caged Imps, raising the platform in the process". Stupid design for sure, but no matter how you look at it you're not truly stuck at any point.

If some walls need to be shot to activate a door or soothing, does firing a BFG cover more wall area or maybe the splash effect from a rocket launcher or must it be a direct impact on the wall (linedef).....in fact does any weapon work?

DeXiaZ said:

Lawl, thank you, I never found this way, because I've used ROCKETLAUNCHER on imps.

Which is precisely why it's a stupid design! Sandy probably just tested that section once with the Pistol or something, then left it at that.

bcwood16 said:

If some walls need to be shot to activate a door or soothing, does firing a BFG cover more wall area or maybe the splash effect from a rocket launcher or must it be a direct impact on the wall (linedef).....in fact does any weapon work?

Only 'regular' hitscan attacks (bullets, shells) activate 'gunfire' triggers in vanilla Doom. Across source ports though it varies; ZDoom for example will allow direct impact from projectiles. Stuff like explosion radius and BFG spray though won't affect these triggers.

Phml said:

Pressing the spacebar as I die. It infuriates me. I'm not even sure why, it's not like I enjoy long death sequences in other video games. But then, perhaps there's a right balance. Skip the death entirely, and it feels... weightless? I guess I like the ability to restart as soon as I want, but I'd like to be in control and not restart sooner than I want.

Haha, me too, not very frustrating, but somehow annoying. I wonder if there's a secret code "let's wait with killing him until he presses space".

not very frustrating

Another good point. It's my *most* frustrating moment mainly because there isn't much to be frustrated about in Doom. Actually had to rack my brain to come up with an answer to the topic.

Phml said:

It's my *most* frustrating moment mainly because there isn't much to be frustrated about in Doom.

Luckily we invented speedrunning to give ourselves a whole world of those precious moments of despair.

DeXiaZ said:

If only it was the only thing wrong about this map... I seriously hate map19.

All of Plutonia on Ultra Violence was probably the most frustrating moment for me. They really like Archviles in that WAD, don't they?

I'm currently trying to complete Ultimate Doom on Nightmare.

Nothing is more frustrating then finishing a map, starting the next one, and realizing you have too little resources to cope with it.

Oh, and E4M1 on Nightmare. Fucking shotgunners.

DoomGuy123 said:

All of Plutonia on Ultra Violence was probably the most frustrating moment for me. They really like Archviles in that WAD, don't they?

I'd say they love Revenants. That's all I can remember from Plutonia:

Realize that MAP21 is made to honour Cobains death. Listen to some of the bands songs and then get sad that he died.

BaronOfStuff said:

^
No it isn't, stop looking at that dopey DYKG picture. It's just coincidence.

I don't like the "nevermind" album it's my least favorite album made by the band, my actual favorite album made by them is this one:

BaronOfStuff said:

My most frustrating moment is that I have a bad habit of pressing the use key on the barrel exits, forcing me to start the map over.

When suddenly a whole load of demons start to appear in a crampt area with hardly anything to hide behind, I don't like having to lower the overall difficulty just so I can get through such minor parts.

Patrol1985 said:

What is a barrel exit?

I probably should have went into more detail. What I mean is the exits that are suppose to kill you and the IoS boss. Generally it's to force the player to start the next map with just a pistol.

Larzuk said:

I probably should have went into more detail. What I mean is the exits that are suppose to kill you and the IoS boss. Generally it's to force the player to start the next map with just a pistol.

Wow, I've never seen any of those... but then again I have played maybe like one PWAD in my life (this probably goes in "confession booth"). So if you're supposed to die, then why would trigerring such an exit make you do the same map all over again instead of progressing further?

Patrol1985 said:

So if you're supposed to die, then why would trigerring such an exit make you do the same map all over again instead of progressing further?

It doesn't make you do the same map all over again (it wouldn't be much of an exit if it did). Instead, it kills you and makes you start the next map. This is made possible by the fact that Doom allows you to exit the level even if you are already dead, in which case you will restart from scratch on the next level instead of the current one. This is probably intended for multiplayer situations where one player triggers a level exit while the other is still dead, but it can also happen in a single player game if you die at the same time as the boss, your corpse slides across an exit trigger, or you die at the exact moment you press an exit switch. The first two situations can be deliberately set up by the map designer (usually through crafty use of exploding barrels, hence the term); the last can only happen through insane luck.

Patrol1985 said:

Wow, I've never seen any of those... but then again I have played maybe like one PWAD in my life (this probably goes in "confession booth"). So if you're supposed to die, then why would trigerring such an exit make you do the same map all over again instead of progressing further?

When that sort of exit is triggered, you have to wait until the IoS is completely dead and the screen wipes before you can progress to the next map. If you press the use key before the screen wipes, then the map starts over.

I haven't tried all the ports so this may work differently on different ports.

Playing some random PWADs which had one-time doors and platforms which could not be lowered again, which however were necessary to cross for completing the level. If you didn't know that and somehow backtracked/fell off them, you got stuck in Limbo.

Larzuk said:

When that sort of exit is triggered, you have to wait until the IoS is completely dead and the screen wipes before you can progress to the next map. If you press the use key before the screen wipes, then the map starts over.

That's the thing I didn't know. Now I understand everything, thanks!

Most frustrating thing: Trying to use cacodemons as your personal punching bags to vent out your rage -> leads even more rage. Applies to mancubus and arachnotron too.