Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
MajorRawne

Help with ZDoom/GZDoom mapping

Hi all, I'm close to finishing a number of maps I've been working on for Boom and Vanilla projects and I am wanting to get back to a ZDoom wad I was working on a couple of years ago.

Is there anyone who can walk me through a few things such as how to create slopes and fog, how to make text appear on the screen (ideally, if possible, with a sound similar to the noise from Alien and Aliens as the letters appear), how to disable the usual kill count at the end of the map etc? We can do this in the thread so other people can chime in with suggestions, or by PM so I don't reveal my noobishness to the forum.

Thank you in advance.

The main differences between ZDoom and GZDoom, aside from the OpenGL eyecandy:

GZDoom can display sloped 3D floors
GZDoom can display dynamic lights
GZDoom can display a proper 6-sided skybox

MajorRawne said:

... such as how to create slopes

Here is an example for SLOPES

MajorRawne said:

... such as how to create fog

Fog can be done in a few different ways, depending on how dense and how layered it is supposed to appear.
The simplest way would be by using a combination of Sector_SetFade and Sector_SetColor. This can look quite good when the fog zone is controlled by a 3D sector.

A more involved method is with DECORATE. But luckily this has been already worked out.
This image shows the fogspawner from Tormentor's The City of the Dead 2

And this one shows the fogspawner from REALM667

see also: http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=45039#p740765

MajorRawne said:

... such as how to make text appear on the screen (ideally, if possible,
with a sound similar to the noise from Alien and Aliens as the letters appear)

To achieve lettering to appear as in the Aliens title can be done with scripting. But it will not be easy.

Here is an example for lettering with a script which was developed during the initial stages of KDiZD (certainly not by me).

I am posting this just to show the kind of scripting involved to get positioned lettering onto the screen:

MajorRawne said:

... such as how to disable the usual kill count at the end of the map etc

To just eliminate the screen with the kill counts one could insert NoIntermission in a MAPINFO lump.
But then the transition from one map to another is immediate. And that could be a bit disconcerting.

I think I can help you with one of those topics.

Let me know you when you read me, and in the meanwhile, I'll go get my morning coffee. :]

Thank you for your replies gents. Those fog pictures look fantastic. Wonder if it could be adapted to use as smoke, since my first map starts inside a crashed spaceship. Looks like GZDoom it is then. Hopefully this won't alienate half the potential players.

Gemini, I'm going to reassess my map tonight so I will contact you and probably send you the wad file so you can look round it. Anyone else who wants it can also have a copy.

Sure, that's pretty cool.

I'm going away for the weekend, in case you don't hear back from me immediately, though.

No problems mate, I apologise if some of my questions are ridiculously noobish. I did know some of this stuff, it's just been so long I've forgotten it.