Find results in...
darknation

Mental Illness

batshit spastic?  

72 members have voted

1. 1. batshit spastic?

• yea
    • nae

I have chronic cleavage-distraction syndrome coupled with early-onset apathy disorder, brought on by a cumulative attack of boredom resulting from high school lessons. I have a medical marijuana card for the symptoms.

I get depressed and can't do anything useful from week to months. My sleep rhythm is completely inversed. Difficult to be interested/connected to anything/anyone.

I used to get feelings that some people were following me or reading my thoughts. But I don't get that kind of feelings anymore, or if I do, I just don't care.

When I think less about this stuff, I feel better.

That's a worrying poll percentage so far. Voted no so I can't be part of the crazy gang.

DoomUK said:

Diagnosed with depression when I was 17. Was later hospitalised for a week following a failed suicide attempt.

Have since developed other symptoms. I can tick most of the boxes for social anxiety and body dysmorphia, though neither of these have been professionally assessed.

I am obsessed with the way I look too which is why I am afraid to ask girls out. It's because in terms of males, I have no idea what makes them look good in terms of face structure and I am too scared to ask what people think of me. I don't think it's pathological though.

purist said:

That's a worrying poll percentage so far. Voted no so I can't be part of the crazy gang.

My impression in this area - not that it's one in which I have any particular expertise - is that, on the one hand, there's been, over the passed few decades, a commercially-driven move to medicalise perfectly ordinary aspects of the human condition, and that - on the other hand - this is something that we, as potential patients, have been complicit in, insofar as many of us (speaking from experience of people who are like this) seem to want - for reasons I shan't speculate on - to have ourselves (or our children) categorised as suffering from this or that new-fangled psychological condition. Taken in this context, I'm not surprised by the poll results.

When the going gets weird, the weird turns professional.
Most people are a little crazy, thats a good thing because normal is pretty boring.

DooM_RO said:

I am obsessed with the way I look too which is why I am afraid to ask girls out. It's because in terms of males, I have no idea what makes them look good in terms of face structure and I am too scared to ask what people think of me. I don't think it's pathological though.

one of the most useful things i learned in high school was 'shyness is a form of vanity'. Once i understood that (and that it works both ways) then i finally got my shit together and adopted the proper attitude towards life. People are festering dungheaps of bullshit and insecurity, no exceptions. Especially that orange bitch in the hundred dollar blouse. You can use this knowledge to ingrate yourself with the in-crowd or serve them with great justice, dependant on today's Rage and Rape forecast.

Sociopathic? Maybe. Fun? Absolutely.

aaaaaand we are back. Sorry for the temporary interruption of service, please, continue to unload your anxiety.

I wish I'd asked for age & nationality when I created this poll to weed out kids with self-diagnosed special snowflake syndrome.

My biggest issues are anxiety. Horrible social anxiety, and anxiety in general. Relaxing at all is very hard with anxiety, as it's always there. The shitty part is that I don't have any true reason to be anxious. I'm in a safe place, nothing bad is happening. But the anxiety is still there. It feels like something is going to snap and suddenly things will be terrible (not that the anxiety itself isn't terrible). I have fears of catastrophic things happening. I try to convince myself that nothing bad is going to happen, but I always think "what if this time is different?"

I still get depressed, but it's not as huge an issue as my anxiety. It's still there, but it's a bit more manageable. Maybe due to medication, or maybe just exposure and time.

I've been in the crazy hospital twice in my life, and I don't plan on going back. First time was for a month, which sucked. Second time, I was in with a psychosocial rehabilitation program for half a year.

I feel ass burgers is overdiagnosed. I was diagnosed with it, but I could see how my social anxiety traits were affecting their testing. I've also been diagnosed with psychosis of some kind, and I don't think I have that either. The mind is a tricky thing, and one doctor isn't always able to diagnose someone correctly.

Rayzik said:

I have non-24, which involves my sleeping habits. Basically my circadian rhythm is not normal, in fact, a doctor once told me my "internal clock" functioned on a period of 35 hours rather than normal 24.

I'm also affected by this but I've self-diagnosed it as "computeritus". Go outside and do some labor and see how easily you come back to a 24 hour schedule

I've never self-diagnosed most of my problems but I have with depression because I know damn well I have it, I should probably talk to a doctor about it though.

darknation said:

aaaaaand we are back. Sorry for the temporary interruption of service, please, continue to unload your anxiety.

Having resumed reading Page 1 in Post Hell, I thought my eyes were playing tricks on me when the Page 2 link brought me here.

40oz said:

I've come to accept that i, along with most people here probably just have an introverted personality and there's nothing wrong with that.

While this is basically a pretty normal outlook for people in general, I'd like to add the following: You really shouldn't feel like shit very often.

I mean its pretty obvious that people are going to feel shit sometimes because that's life, but if you feel like shit enough to the point that you can back up and say "This sucks" then you should never give up on pursuing better.

ultama121 said:

While this is basically a pretty normal outlook for people in general, I'd like to add the following: You really shouldn't feel like shit very often.

uh, I'd say sadness, anger and depression are perfectly legitimate emotional responses when confronted by this fucked up planet. In fact, I'd go as far as to say someone who doesn't feel RAEG when confronted by half the shit that goes on under their noses is either medicated, deluded, or utterly without empathy.

darknation said:

uh, I'd say sadness, anger and depression are perfectly legitimate emotional responses when confronted by this fucked up planet. In fact, I'd go as far as to say someone who doesn't feel RAEG when confronted by half the shit that goes on under their noses is either medicated, deluded, or utterly without empathy.

Allow me to clarify:

Sure, whenever you're confronted with one of the worlds many ills its perfectly normal to react with whatever multitude of negative emotions. The idea I'm just trying to get across is that its very important to establish a sense of inner peace and happiness, so that you can defend yourself from it. The reality is that you're just a single human being and that you have one life to live. You can't fix all of the world's problems, but you can certainly feel shit about them. Accept your relative powerlessness, do what you actually can, and make sure life is actually enjoyable for you.

Rayzik said:

I have non-24, which involves my sleeping habits. Basically my circadian rhythm is not normal, in fact, a doctor once told me my "internal clock" functioned on a period of 35 hours rather than normal 24.

I wouldn't go to that doctor again - unless you've been subjected to a prolonged, controlled test, in which you are isolated from all external time cues (e.g. natural light) there's no obvious way for him or her to have determined that you naturally work on a 35 hour day.

Obsidian said:

I have Assburgers. Does that count?

lolololol. Somehow I'm not surprised. I have it too, causes people to freak the fuck out because as a disabled person, I'm "not normal" You ever get that? Since we live in the same country. I swear the mental illness discriminations REALLY strong here.

I hate all of you, though I don't know that being a misanthrope counts as having a mental illness.

<3

Ragnor said:

lolololol. Somehow I'm not surprised. I have it too, causes people to freak the fuck out because as a disabled person, I'm "not normal" You ever get that? Since we live in the same country. I swear the mental illness discriminations REALLY strong here.

Sorry to butt in, but I had never heard of Aspergers until a few years ago, but now that I've gone back to college it seems like every tenth person I meet admits to having it. Usually really nice people, too.

I took the red pill a long time ago. And I'm still tripping balls nor do I consider my life ruined for the purposes of this poll.

Asperger's. Unless I miscounted terribly, that makes me the third one in this thread.

Well, there are some aspergers who did not admit it yet.

I hear voices too, sometimes even unwanted voices.. like when someone is whining about how the doom is a primitive game and it is making loud noises which distrub that person. I wish everyone would understand how doom is one of the basics of human life and that CoD suck.

I also hear voices of random people who talk about something I do not care about, when being in some crowded public place like train transportion.

I think we should ignore all these so-called disorders (ADD, OCD, Asperger's) and only list those which make us disabled. Just because you're reclusive doesn't mean anything if you're a cool guy in society otherwise.

Rayzik said:

In lines with what Ralphis said, I'm sure nowadays that has to do with anxiety, sedentary behavior and artificial lighting. Not some inherent problem. Sleep disruption has threatened me as a full-time student, in periods of erratic writing, of emotional stress or when unemployed. It's still affects me, if less seriously, in periods when I'm more alone because I work from the computer at home, although it's not more than 6 hours so there's often time to plan something to do somewhere else.