Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Fellowzdoomer

How many versions of FREEDOOM are there?

There are only three versions: Freedoom is a Doom 2 replacement, Ultimate Freedoom is an Ultimate Doom replacement, and FreeDM has deathmatch maps. That's all. Pretty self-explanatory, really.

Foxpup said:

There are only three versions: Freedoom is a Doom 2 replacement, Ultimate Freedoom is an Ultimate Doom replacement, and FreeDM has deathmatch maps. That's all. Pretty self-explanatory, really.

Freedoom has more than one version though. I dont mean FreeDM (with freedooms same demos) or UFD (which until now I never heard of.)

Well, it has had 0.1, 0.2, 0.3, 0.4, 0.5, 0.6, 0.6.1, 0.6.2, 0.6.3, 0.6.4, 0.7-rc1, 0.7, 0.8-beta1, and 0.8. :P

As for which IWADs are built, Foxpup's summary isn't inaccurate for 0.8 but the current development is rather: Phase 1 is the Ultimate Doom replacement, Phase 2 is the Doom 2 replacement, and FreeDM is deathmatch.

Fellowzdoomer said:

Why are there different versions?

It depends what you mean.

Freedoom has multiple versions because it is an ongoing project that regularly accepts submissions of new content (improved levels, new graphics, sounds, etc). Unlike other Doom projects it's probably never really going to be "finished" because there will always be things we can improve upon. So every now and then we release a new version that is an improvement on the previous version.

However, I think what I think you're really asking is why there are three Freedoom IWADs. The answer is that they have different purposes.

• Freedoom: Phase 1 (freedoom1.wad) is a complete IWAD file that is compatible with the original Doom 1. So if you have mods for Doom 1 you can play them with this. Here's a video of Doom The Way Id Did running using Freedoom, for example.

• Freedoom: Phase 2 (freedoom2.wad) is a complete IWAD file that's compatible with Doom 2. So you can play all your Doom 2 mods with it.

• FreeDM (freedm.wad) is another Doom 2-compatible IWAD file that contains deathmatch levels. It's intended to be a complete free deathmatch game. It's also Vanilla-compatible, so you can use it with source ports like Chocolate Doom that don't support Boom extensions.
The original goal of the project was to create just one IWAD file (what is now freedoom2.wad). But the goals of the project have expanded since then. One of the main goals behind Freedoom is that you should be able to play all the classic mods from the idgames archive without using the proprietary IWADs, and we need both IWADs to be able to do that. FreeDM is just a nice spin-off project with a slightly different focus.

Hope this helps!

You're going to have to be clearer than that...

Freedoom is just an ongoing effort and there will always be new versions coming out every so often.

If you didn't get the previous explanations, I'm afraid that this will have to be forever an unsolved mystery for you.