Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
fabian

Crispy Doom 6.0 (Update: Mar 31, 2023)

fabian said:

Since a higher resolution means more visible VISPLANES etc., I am going to merge this branch to raise chocolate-doom's static limits in line with Doom-Plus:
https://github.com/fabiangreffrath/chocolate-doom/compare/master...limits

:D

I've been sort of thinking of this for a while, would be nice to have a bare-bones but still limit removing port that doesn't require Dosbox.

Currently, the patch only applies to the Doom engine and there are _no_ plans to extend it to chocolate-heretic, -hexen or -strife.

:C

Anything that could change your mind? These games could really benefit from a port such as this, because there's no "medium-featured" port like PrBoom+ is for Doom. Especially Hexen, it's really either oldschool vanilla/chocolate, or go whole hog with ZDoom or Doomsday.

Excellent, it's THE port I've been expecting !
(OpenGL support would be even more perfect)

I've tried it for a few minutes, everything looks fine...

Now we have to find a name... Toffee Doom ?

soner du said:

Now we have to find a name... Toffee Doom ?

I might call it "crispy-doom" some day, because (1) 640x480 looks crispy and (2) "chocolate-crispies". :)

Wonderful patch! Is 640X400 possible?

Would also be cool to allow 16-bit color (or even 24 to 32 bits). Similar to Jaguar port of Doom.

Holering said:

Wonderful patch! Is 640X400 possible?

Yes, if you disable aspect ratio correction in chocolate-setup.

Would also be cool to allow 16-bit color (or even 24 to 32 bits). Similar to Jaguar port of Doom.

This is beyond the scope of this fork. It is meant to remain as much chocolate-doom as possible.

plums said:

I've been sort of thinking of this for a while, would be nice to have a bare-bones but still limit removing port that doesn't require Dosbox.

Limit raising, that is. I am currently not going to implement dynamic limits, i.e. "limit removing". I am going to raise the limits mostly to compensate for the detail increase caused by the higher resolution. It is not supposed to run over-the-top maps anyway, but most of the "usual suspects" should work with this.

Anything that could change your mind? These games could really benefit from a port such as this, because there's no "medium-featured" port like PrBoom+ is for Doom. Especially Hexen, it's really either oldschool vanilla/chocolate, or go whole hog with ZDoom or Doomsday.

It's not set in stone. However, it is quite low on my priority list. Hacking the Doom renderer already took me much more time than expected and was a frustrating experience at times. And I expect e.g. Hexen to be much more complex than this by itself.

Nice work! I've been hoping for a while now that someone would do a fork like this that can incorporate all the things that don't fit within Chocolate Doom's strictly-Vanilla remit. There's obviously a demand for a port like this.

fabian said:

I might call it "crispy-doom" some day, because (1) 640x480 looks crispy and (2) "chocolate-crispies". :)

Name it what you want, but my vote goes for anything that isn't a riff on "Chocolate Doom". I cringe whenever names get debated for Chocolate Doom forks and people start suggesting things like "Fudge Pieces with Chocolate Sprinkles Doom" or similarly ridiculous names :)

It's a shame that the Strawberry Doom name got wasted on a hacky port that ultimately didn't go anywhere, otherwise I'd suggest that. But maybe GhostlyDeath could give up the name.

Very cool. I definitely second what plums said, though. This is arguably more "needed" for Heretic, Hexen, and Strife than it is for Doom, so I hope you do consider porting the changes to those once you have Doom done the way you want it.

Awesome work! When you say more visible VISPLANES, does this mean it may crash without increase in rate limit? Or should all normal doom levels work OK?
Cheers, Emile.

Anyway, very exciting. As for a name: how about White Chocolate Doom, because of the high gamma in the OP screenshot. :P

beloko said:

Awesome work! When you say more visible VISPLANES, does this mean it may crash without increase in rate limit? Or should all normal doom levels work OK?
Cheers, Emile.

Higher resolution means that the same view may generate more visplanes, so for a resolution increase it's also necessary to change the visplane limit.

So I added Chocolate Doom with this hires mod to Doom Touch (Android), seems to be working!

When I get a chance I will see if your changes can be ported to the other games, do you think there will be major differences in implementation?

beloko said:

So I added Chocolate Doom with this hires mod to Doom Touch (Android), seems to be working!

Great!

When I get a chance I will see if your changes can be ported to the other games, do you think there will be major differences in implementation?

I don't think so. I have Heretic mostly working, just some minor graphical glitches are left that require different fixes than Doom.

Caramel Doom. Or Anti-Blur Doom possibly. :P

Other than that, many people have always demanded something like this to be done, so it's a relief to see that someone finally had the guts to make it happen. ^^

Krispy said:

Just as long as you pay me royalties :)

Dammit! I am tempted to call it oculist-doom. :)

BTW, I'd consider hires-heretic ready, but it needs more testing. No binaries yet, sorry. This was more bitchy than Doom; it was tricky to get the sky scaling and the moving background in the automap right, mostly because the code uses a lot of memcpy() between frame buffers and I have just blown the destination buffer up by factor 4.

"Embiggened Doom" seems like the most accurate name possible.

(Or "Magnified Doom" if you don't like The Simpsons.)

Shadow Hog said:

Sounds like a perfectly cromulent choice.

Cromulent-Doom sounds great! o_O

But, more importantly, Hexen's sky is a bitch... (Yes, I am currently working on my further plans in ascending order of priority). :)

Awesome! I'm glad to hear that we talked you into working on the other games. I will wait patiently.

plums said:

Awesome! I'm glad to hear that we talked you into working on the other games. I will wait patiently.

Alright, I got Heretic, Hexen and Strife working. Unfortunately, I managed to mess up my GIT repository a bit (I am new to all this merge and rebase stuff). I think I'll set up a new clean repository next week and then provide binaries for testing.

BTW, Gez's embiggened-doom name suggestion is probably going to make the race. :)

It's done! I have high-resolution and limit-raising patches for all four games ready. Please find binaries for download here:

[Edit] Please see here for updated packages:
http://www.doomworld.com/vb/post/1245295

Please test extensively and report any bugs, glitches or crashes that may occur. Especially Heretic, Hexen and Strife have not been tested that much, i.e. I never made it very far into the games.

Until I have sorted out the mess in my github repository, the caconical source for the patches is the Debian packaging repo:

http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=pkg-games/chocolate-doom.git;a=tree;f=debian/patches;hb=refs/heads/hires

Awesome, thanks again for extending it to the other games. I'll given them a test within the next day.

edit: Looks like this bug is still present here.

Minor bug: In Hexen, the blue and green mana bars on the status bar are always full:

Compare to normal Hexen:

Also, my screenshot came out at 640x400 for some reason?

OK, so things are a bit weird in fullscreen. I'm using the Windows version, with an old monitor that only goes up to 1024x768. I dropped the chocolate-*-setup.exe files from normal chocolate doom into the new directory with these exes. All of this applies to all games.

When "Fix aspect ratio" is on, and "Full screen" is also on, the display is too tall for my monitor, and the bottom or top gets cut off. Here is a screenshot I took, and here is how it actually looks on my monitor. It doesn't matter what resolution I select as long as it's < 1280x960, this is how it always looks and the monitor always reports that it's running at 1024x768.

If I turn "Fix aspect ratio" off, the monitor resolution gets set at whatever I choose, but the actual game is displayed at 640x400. It makes sense that I can't get a larger window since the next multiple of 640 is higher than my monitor resolution, but I would have expected it to use 640x480 instead.

In windowed mode, everything looks fine and as works I would expect.

Normal chocolate doom runs and looks fine at 640x480.

Lastly the setup program seems to try to default to either 1280x768 or 1280x800 a lot of the time, for whatever reason.

I'd be fine with just being able to run at 640x480 fullscreen, but it doesn't seem possible right now.

plums said:

Looks like this bug is still present here.

Yes, the patches are based on chocolate-doom-2.0.0 and were not rebased on the master branch, yet.

Minor bug: In Hexen, the blue and green mana bars on the status bar are always full:

I'll have a look at it tomorrow, thanks!

Also, my screenshot came out at 640x400 for some reason?

Yes, the game content is always rendered at 640x400 and then stretched to (multiples of) 640x480 in a post-processing step if aspect ration correction is enabled.

fabian said:

Yes, the game content is always rendered at 640x400 and then stretched to (multiples of) 640x480 in a post-processing step if aspect ration correction is enabled.

Ah, that makes sense.

Another bug: pressing pause will crash Doom/Doom 2 with the message "Bad V_DrawPatch". Pausing in Strife works but doesn't display the PAUSE graphic. Pausing in Heretic/Hexen seems to work without problems.