Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TimeOfDeath

Doomworld Mega Project 2013 - 54 maps - /idgames link

Joe667 said:

I'm interested in this project. I'd like to know some things: Which map slots are still open, if any?
And also, do you have to use a lump editor and rename the levels yourself or is it done for you? Because I've been having trouble with XWE/Slade etc.

There's another Megaproject but it's for 2014, contribute here : http://www.doomworld.com/vb/wads-mods/66958-doomworld-mega-project-2014-4-maps-44-mappers/

Ijon Tichy said:

you said it, now you have to tell us when

Well it'll be sometime after February 21st, since I've decided to take a whole month off from livestreaming/LP'ing video games in order to sort out my personal lifestyle a bit and am only returning back to them on that date.

Not sure which one of the three wads I'll play first of the Project when it comes to the streams The_Trigger.

Guest Unregistered account
joe-ilya said:

There's another Megaproject but it's for 2014, contribute here BLAH BLAH BLAH

Well, um, gee, thanks for answering my question. :/

Joe667 said:

Well, um, gee, thanks for answering my question. :/

Ill answer it

Timeofdeath sorts out the levels chronosomethingly then by port. You don't have control over what slot you get.

And he creates the deh\bex\mapinfo for the dmp by WhAckED or DeHackED or whatever.

Its NEVER done for you ... sadly.

So... do you have to change the map name yourself, or does he change it according to what you say?

You make a map, then name it. ToD will write the level name in whatever (deh/bex/MapInfo). So basically here changes it according to how you name it.

ChronoSerge said:

You make a map, then name it. ToD will write the level name in whatever (deh/bex/MapInfo). So basically here changes it according to how you name it.

Ok, thanks very much. I'm sorry on account of how much trouble dumb I must look. Mainly for myself, of course.

Joe667 said:

And also, do you have to use a lump editor and rename the levels yourself or is it done for you? Because I've been having trouble with XWE/Slade etc.

I'll answer your question, Joe667, because I just figured out how to change maps names in XWE. Here's what I did, and forgive me in advance for going over a lot of stuff you already know, and for the step-by-step way I'll do this.

First, since you already have XWE, I suggest you go to Doomworld/Utilities/Miscellaneous and download Doomword if you don't already have it, since this produces fonts in Doom format.

Write the map names, natch, and save them into files named for the map slots. For Doom/Ultimate Doom, it is WILV00, which would be for E1M1 (the numbers are one lower than the map number, thus, E1M2 would be WILV01, and so forth). For Doom 2, it's the same protocol except that you use CWILVxx.

Open your PWAD in XWE, select Entry/New from the menu, and write, for example, CWILV00, and then Save. Once you've created the listing, highlight it, and then select Entry/Replace from the menu, and navigate to the location of your saved Doomword (or whatever) map name, select it, and save.

Now comes the tricky part. If you're lucky, your map name will appear in the top left-hand corner of a cyan background. If it does, you're finished. If it appears anywhere else, such as in the center, and you see crosshairs, your map name will not appear in the right position on the intermission screen, and no amount of moving it around on the cyan screen will make it right. Instead, take note of the little boxes above the cyan screen. You'll see a button which says W:Auto, and next to it, two boxes with numbers in them. If the numbers are anything other than zero, it's wrong. Pressing the W:Auto button may fix this, but what I did was simply enter 0 in each box and -- wala! -- the map name suddenly appeared in the top left corner and everything worked right after that.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions.

I've seen some critics about the maps, and I forgot to mention something: 1024x32x... (my submission) is mostly a parody (all the "special map rules" combined in the same map), and does not make any sense, so please try not to look for that! Thanks! í=)

As far as I concern, I could not try any of the subjects, but I'm already planning of creating a video series about them, just like I did it with DMP2013.

Katamori said:

... but I'm already planning of creating a video series about them...

Please do! my sub box looks so bare and uniteresting right now.

Ok, so I've been spending a while on my map and I've found a slight problem.

I'm sure it's not to do with
a). My general stupidity
or
b). Me being 12

because I've seen it in other maps such as in Map01 of Freedoom. Basically, I've been trying to get a scrolling floor to move some gibs and a body, but they stay still no matter what function I use (Scroll, Carry, wind) and I'm using Skulltag. Only because of the dynamic lights, you see.

Anywho, here's my map in its current (and obviously very early) state:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/rrbi95ff1chwb0a/Realm+of+Demise.wad

SteveD said:

I'll answer your question, Joe667, BLAH BLAH BLAHB

Well... it's not that I don't know how to use it, it's that I can't. In display of my obvious idiocy, I actually made a whole post about my problems with XWE, and the people who replied said to use Slade.

The problem with XWE is that it lists a bunch of shell errors upon startup, and I can't use it.

Joe667 said:

The problem with XWE is that it lists a bunch of shell errors upon startup, and I can't use it.

Ah, well that is certainly a different issue. So, your computer hates XWE, perhaps? This is not good. I wish you luck with Slade. Myself, I don't know how to do map names in Slade, only titlepics thus far. I plan to learn more when I can, because warnings about how XWE can wreck wads have me nervous . . .

So are the download links the "final" versions of this wad? Now I'm off my livestreaming hiatus I wouldn't mind tackling this wad asap if it's fully done and whatnot.

I'm pretty sure the OP has all the links you need. Looking forward to your playthrough of my map, I must admit. :P

Suitepee said:

So are the download links the "final" versions of this wad? Now I'm off my livestreaming hiatus I wouldn't mind tackling this wad asap if it's fully done and whatnot.

Off the hiatus? Awesome! I always love watching you play my maps, John. And I have a shit-ton coming, too! ;D I just hope I see your notice in time, and that I can schedule it. Hmmm, maybe I should subscribe to your Twitch.

I should also mention that I can't wait to see you play the maps by Scifista42, Cannonball, Demonologist and Obsidian. Not to forget your buddy The_Trigger, either. Outstanding map he did, IMO.

So I'd been planning on typing up a bunch of stuff for this now that I've finished playing all the maps, but I think it's not going to happen. I'm having trouble coming up with meaningful things to say about 54 different levels, and a lot of them aren't fresh in my mind. I will say I enjoyed almost all of them, even some of the ridiculous jokemaps, and finished every one except for Demonologist's insane concoction.

Since the ZDoom wad didn't get much attention, I want to at least mention the first map, it's quite the beautiful and bloody masterpiece. One of the best in all of the DMP2013 wads. Just about too hard for me to do at all even with saves, I had to restart once because I just didn't have enough ammo. I still enjoyed it, it looks great and you feel like you're never safe.

Other mappers who made things that impressed me:

Hurricyclone - Strangely fun to have so much room to run around in.

Alfonso - Fun and good looking map, wish it were longer.

dobu gabu maru - I love your stuff, I hope you make some non-group-project levels sometime. Really interested to see what you'd do with a series of maps.

Obsidian - Spooky! Nice puzzles too. Got a max without too much trouble, pacifist is beyond me though.

Z86 - Huge Inferno remix! I love it.

SteveD - Nice job, you scored a few hunting trophies off of me here.

Exl & DooMAD - One of my favourites, modern design with classic STAR texturing. One of the best base levels I've played in a long time.

Ribbiks - Great map, the signature one-colour concept with a minimalist approach. Hard but not so much that I can't deal with it, at least with saves. Such kawaii music!

Kate Stone - A jokemap that's actually funny! Good job.

Last but not least, kudos to TimeOfDeath for putting this all together, and for making such a surreal/hilarious/disgusting level. "Maybe I can jump off those nipples" is surely one of the greatest lines I've read in a Doom map, or anywhere. Gameplay was hard but much less intense than other TOD maps, meaning I could beat it without getting my ass handed to me too bad. And speaking of asses: I think that's the first time I've seen a butthole made from Doom geometry.

If anyone felt their map got overlooked and wanted more feedback, I wouldn't mind writing something lengthier for a few of them.

plums said:

If anyone felt their map got overlooked and wanted more feedback, I wouldn't mind writing something lengthier for a few of them.

If you wouldn't mind giving a quick review of my level, I would much appreciate it!

walter confalonieri said:

ok, what about my map? Looks like doesn't let any sin on all....

I was going to review your map, but I never got around to it. I guess now would be a good time.

In all honesty, I don't know what to do to get past the first locked door. I can't find any keys anywhere. I suppose you're supposed to jump from the tall platform the teleports take you to, but I can't get past the outer wall of the outside area.

Other than that, the music is super funny, and the textures are manic and very colorful. Probably the one of the oddest maps of the set.

ok, what about my map? Looks like doesn't let any sin on all....

I got ya covered, walter. I found your map quite amusing, though very easy. Maybe the easiest Cyb fight ever. Funny thing, I woke it up before it was supposed to appear, because since this was GZDoom, I jumped up to the higher ground. Oops!!! ;D

Most dangerous critter was the Revvie that caught me by surprise. The little jagoff dropped me down to 9%. I also liked that gang of Cacos in the early going.

Thanks for the Wolfies! I'm a huge fan of Wolfies. I'm a little weird that way . . . ;D

I liked the colored lighting and the wacky textures, and the music track was oddly entertaining. The video panel hanging in mid-air was also cool, as was the 3D bridge, though I wonder whether its floor could have been thicker. I've never worked in udmf, so I don't know.

I should confess that I died about 4 times, but that's because I tried jumping the broken stairs gap and kept falling into the insta-death nukage. I finally realized there's no way to jump the gap. Then there was that little fenced-off hole, and I thought, "Maybe if I jump this, I'll find a secret!" Nope, just another insta-death surprise. Curse you, walter! ;D

I didn't find any of the secrets, but I killed all the monsters. Took me quite awhile to find the exit, and I was starting to get annoyed by that. Lotsa backtracking in this map, but at least you had those Imps to catch my attention at the end.

So all in all, a fun experience.

plums said:

SteveD - Nice job, you scored a few hunting trophies off of me here.

Thanks, plums! Nice to know my efforts weren't in vain. ;) Did you find any of the secrets? I was more of a dick than usual about secrets this time, especially the BFG.

Looks like doesn't let any sin on all....

I don't understand this sentence one bit! :P But anyhow:

walter confalonieri - ffffabolous secret level

First of all, the timing on the music loop is off slightly and it was driving me crazy so I fixed it. I don't know if this was intentional or not, but if you want, here's the patch:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/khacw5u7h16ix26/DMP2013-ZUDMF_HEYAHEY.wad

Even with the loop fixed, it's still extremely repetitive though! I know you have a filesize limit but after the 100th repetition it was starting to grate. In a different time and place, my review of this might have just been to write "HEYYEYAAEYAAAEYAEYAA" over and over again. In the end I had to switch music for a bit with IDMUS just for a break.

Anyhow I feel like this map is kind of a letdown, only because it starts with such a colourful glittery room, but shortly turns into a fairly normal-looking Doom level apart from a few He-Man posters and purple televisions.

So as a normal Doom level, it's kind of disjointed looking. You've got castle sections and base sections mixed together, and then the occasional rainbow room. Gameplay is similar, with some random nazis, a single mandatory long-distance jump, a virtually harmless cyberdemon, a room-over-room teleporter that isn't the right linedef type (you shouldn't have your movement stopped), etc.

I don't want to sound like I'm beating up on you, and it wasn't an unpleasant level to play once I fixed the music. The general layout was good, I like the moderate nonlinearity that gives you a little freedom to explore while mostly keeping you on one track. It just feels like it can't decide what kind of map it wants to be, not even whether it wants to be serious or not, and in the end does a bunch of things without really commiting to any of them. And the fact that it gets you ready for a colourful, humourous experience and then quickly switches gears really feels like wasted potential, though it's still funny and different enough to be memorable.

edit: Also I agree with SteveD that it was quite easy and the walkway should be thicker, and also that the floating monitor looked nice.

edit2: I found the switch that raises the water so you don't have to jump. Because you didn't disable jumping, and I couldn't find another way around it, I thought the jump was needed. (A problem with many of the ZDoom wads is that I'm not sure if I'm supposed to be able to jump/crouch or not - some people disabled it but most didn't, and a few require jumps.)

obake - UAC: Unsettling Athletic Corporation

To a much lesser degree, you've got the same problem walter's level had - a unique concept that you don't capitalize on enough by having too many things that look and feel like normal Doom. The play on the UAC acronym is funny, and it certainly does feel like a spooky sports complex. I think more custom textures would have benefitted you a lot though. Not even doom-furniture textures or whatever, just something to make it feel even less like a traditional Doom level. The music is nice and eerie, and the reverb everywhere is a nice touch. I'm not thrilled about all the coloured lighting but it looks nice when it's not too garish. On that note I'm surprised you've got two light visor powerups, since they remove all the light effects completely (at least in GZDoom, haven't tried software ZDoom).

Gameplay isn't bad, some decent surprises here and there. Not overly hard but you'd be tight for ammo without finding any secrets. Fortunately a few are easily discovered with the automap, the BFG is quite hard to find though (fair enough since it's so powerful, but it also brings with one of the funner battles in the map), and I suspect the only way to the plasma rifle is a glide, which I suck at. The outdoor arena could've housed a much bigger fight, but if you don't want to go that route fair enough.

I guess it just feels a little plain to me, and that the coloured lights and effects are just trying to dress up some otherwise simplistic geometry. Certainly playable, and more memorable than it would be if it were a vanilla level, but with more room for development. Still, I liked it in the end.

SteveD said:

Thanks, plums! Nice to know my efforts weren't in vain. ;) Did you find any of the secrets? I was more of a dick than usual about secrets this time, especially the BFG.

As I recall I got most or all of them, but most of the ones I did find were only at the end when I was done with the rest of the level and decided to go secret-hunting. I think I got the switch to release the BFG when I first came near it, but didn't actually find the prize until everything besides the cyberdemons were dead. The megasphere secret in the start was what claimed the first head, being otherwise distracted a cacodemon was able to sneak up on me and hit me in the back.

I was actually kind of surprised when I found the exit to your map, because I was anticipating having to deal with a group of cyberdemons throughout the whole map and then it turns out you can stay clear of most of them.

plums said:

I was actually kind of surprised when I found the exit to your map, because I was anticipating having to deal with a group of cyberdemons throughout the whole map and then it turns out you can stay clear of most of them.

Yeah, the map was kinda weird in that respect, since all the good fights are over by the time you reach the exit, and you don't need any secrets to win, though that early Megasphere makes it possible to play more aggressively. I'm glad you found the secrets, though, I was beginning to worry after watching 2 zero-secret FDAs. I'll confess that the BFG was an afterthought. I built the waterfall and then wondered if I could put something up there. There's also a path up the waterfall to the BFG that is completely accidental, but I left it in when I found it. If you're quick, you can get up there without having to grind down the Cyb. That whole section is really just bonus gameplay.

Nice, I tried climbing the waterfall but didn't try going around the tree. Pretty risky with the cyber there but cool that it's possible anyhow.

The megasphere secret definitely takes the edge off, especially since that first battle can really hurt if the hitscanners get you, but as I learned you can't open it until you've dealt with most of whatever else is going on or you're just gonna make things worse.

BTW do you have the old file that works with Memfis's FDA?

plums said:

BTW do you have the old file that works with Memfis's FDA?

Yes, I do. Thanks to Memfis, the final version is a little nastier but also much friendlier to co-op. The only reason I still have that version is because I put a copy of it in my LMP folder to play Memfis's FDA. ;D If you'd like it so you can watch Memfis's FDA, let me know and I can upload it.

And yes, grabbing the Megasphere before killing all the initial enemies is a bad idea. For me, the winning approach was to take out the first Chaingunners, then run outside and get the Arachnotrons to kill some stuff for me before going back to get the Megasphere. I got so used to it that doing the no-secret playthroughs was a little rough on the mapper, I gotta say. :D

plums said:

obake - UAC: Unsettling Athletic Corporation

To a much lesser degree, you've got the same problem walter's level had - a unique concept that you don't capitalize on enough by having too many things that look and feel like normal Doom. The play on the UAC acronym is funny, and it certainly does feel like a spooky sports complex. I think more custom textures would have benefitted you a lot though. Not even doom-furniture textures or whatever, just something to make it feel even less like a traditional Doom level. The music is nice and eerie, and the reverb everywhere is a nice touch. I'm not thrilled about all the coloured lighting but it looks nice when it's not too garish. On that note I'm surprised you've got two light visor powerups, since they remove all the light effects completely (at least in GZDoom, haven't tried software ZDoom).

Gameplay isn't bad, some decent surprises here and there. Not overly hard but you'd be tight for ammo without finding any secrets. Fortunately a few are easily discovered with the automap, the BFG is quite hard to find though (fair enough since it's so powerful, but it also brings with one of the funner battles in the map), and I suspect the only way to the plasma rifle is a glide, which I suck at. The outdoor arena could've housed a much bigger fight, but if you don't want to go that route fair enough.

I guess it just feels a little plain to me, and that the coloured lights and effects are just trying to dress up some otherwise simplistic geometry. Certainly playable, and more memorable than it would be if it were a vanilla level, but with more room for development. Still, I liked it in the end.

Thanks so much. Your words truly mean a lot.

I'm glad you enjoyed it! :D