Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Catoptromancy

Snow Maps

Some Freedoom2 and FreeDM maps need a makeover, and many Freedoom1 maps are just missing. Why not snow maps.

I want to add at a flat for snow and ice. A small snow patch with transparency that will run along bottom edge of texture, much like the textures that have blood/slime along bottom edge. Will also need a solid snow patch for steps.

Can saturate and mod existing patches so they look like snow/ice. That single(or more) bottom-edge snow patch can be layered on any existing texture so any map theme could be a snow map without adding more resources.

If noone wants to do this, I will eventually get around to it but am very busy so will take quite awhile.

I like this idea. I was always a fan of the Artica series, which did similar things. It's nice to have new textures, though it's probably best not to go too overboard with recoloring existing textures.

Don't forget to use the Boom friction linedef types to make ice more slippery!

There will only be a single patch or two with transparency. That patch will be placed over existing textures as needed by mapper. Will bulk up the texture1 a bit but require very few actual resources.

It has to have an rsky with snow too.

Snow on the roofs is just as important.

Need a few snow bank and snow pile textures to go with it, and you do not know how long a texture is needed, so it has to be left, center, and right textures. You are going to have to pick one or two good outdoor textures (like brick) and then pile snow on them.

Could use some objects with snow on them as well.

Is this going to be trivial snow, or some decent piles ?
We got another 6 inches yesterday. I moved about 2490 lbs from one pile (estimated), and took about 6 tons off the roof total. Where I put it is getting about 4 to 5 feet deep. I am not going to be easy to impress with some trivial snow edging.

I definitely agree it would be nice to see some winter themed maps in this. I also agree with Wesley on the subject of the textures that will be vital to achieve the desired effect along with, snow on roof's.

Roof snow is also good. Only one or two textures? Using tex1 we could put snow on many more. If a mapper needs snow on specific textures that can be done without adding resources.

Not sure about rsky with snow, would need to make the entire episode like that.

Catoptromancy said:

Not sure about rsky with snow, would need to make the entire episode like that.

Maybe its a good idea to freedm, ices requires boom functions, so freedm maps that uses boom will go up of slot 32, maps up of slot 32 will requires mapinfo, whit mapinfo we can make a freedm whit a unique episode themed...

please sky is needed :3

Took some photos of the backyard, but not good enough to post.

Synopsis:

- On buildings with eaves, the snow does not pile against the buildings. It leaves a narrow brown strip even next to the unheated garage. This would imply that textures with a snow edge would not be absolutely necessary.

- On the other hand, most Doom buildings do not have eaves. It would be expected for the snow to pile against such buildings, maybe higher than elsewhere. Some popular textures with the most useful snow combinations would serve this need. Suggest brick variations.

- Huge piles of snow in multiple shapes. This could best be served with a couple long midgrate style textures of hilly snow (one high, one low) that can be setup on self-referencing linedef. If y-offset into the ground with a light difference, then a large snow pile can be used to make small snow piles too.

- A few snow hill textures stuck into a yard is only going to look good from one direction. Snow mounds are going to be troublesome to model. One idea is to place three self-ref lines in a star pattern, so it looks acceptable from all directions. Every snowy yard would have to have 6 to 12 of these constructs.

- To make a snow mound using sectors requires a snow texture and a snow flat, that merge well enough that it hides the squareness of the corners. I suggest a snow texture with a subtle mottled appearance and some gradient from top to bottom, so that y-offset adjustment can be used to select variations.

- Snow on roof lines. Another midgrate style texture of a snowy eave
would serve. It can be placed as a mid-texture on solid buildings and constructs. It could also be placed as a mid-texture on a self-ref linedef in front of the building, with y-offset to raise it to eave height.
Would not look great and would be troublesome to use, but could be applied to any texture. Perhaps some midgrate snow, and some solid snow eave textures would be best.

- Icicles. In combination with snow eave, or a separate midgrate texture.

- Objects. Could create some snowy objects that a BEX or DEH could substitute for the usual FreeDoom objects. Would not be able to have a single Artic level map without affecting all.

Bump. We still need this. Mappers want to make snow maps. Even quick placeholders will help for now. If someone wants to make some.