Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mrthejoshmon

Lets make a... Collection of random wads?

Would you like to contribute?  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to contribute?

• Yeah baby!
    • Hell no!

sorry for double-posting here, but i have content available now: https://www.dropbox.com/s/9eeti6cqyo6lx8a/vyemus.wad

this wad replaces the entirety of the Doom 2 soundtrack with music of my own. almost. Adrian's Asleep is not replaced, as i have nothing to fill it with, and D_SHAWN2/D_SHAWN3 are using a placeholder of sorts, an edited version of Jimmy's MIDI rendition of Rock My Emotions. if Jimmy wants the track to be pulled, then i'll do so.

comments and critique on the collection would be appreciated.

the concept sounds a lot like 32 over 32 (shameless plug haha) but as a community project!

Sign me Up!

Doomhuntress said:

sorry for double-posting here, but i have content available now: https://www.dropbox.com/s/9eeti6cqyo6lx8a/vyemus.wad

this wad replaces the entirety of the Doom 2 soundtrack with music of my own. almost. Adrian's Asleep is not replaced, as i have nothing to fill it with, and D_SHAWN2/D_SHAWN3 are using a placeholder of sorts, an edited version of Jimmy's MIDI rendition of Rock My Emotions. if Jimmy wants the track to be pulled, then i'll do so.

comments and critique on the collection would be appreciated.

I gotta say, I like what I have heard so far (I would also say you are very talented at MIDI music).

If I were to implement these songs into a megawad, these are the map themes I would personally go with from the music I listened to so far:

D_RUNNIN: I would personally see this track running in a sinister but action packed church/cathedral styled map, the fast paced beat with the organs would definitely go with red crosses, altars and hordes of church going demons.

D_STALKS: Now this music would go great with either a night time streets map, space or some sort of alien ship/world, the mysterious nature of the track would work for dark maps.

D_COUNTD: I like the military feel to this track, it would go great with a military compound or base that has been overrun.

D_BETWEE: This song gives me a feeling of urgency, like I am trying to escape or disarm a bomb, I think this track would fit in well with fast paced gameplay or a race against the clock in a tower block, preferably on fire.

D_DOOM: This track is so sinister sounding, the chimes mixed with the low tones used are a perfect mix! This track would go absolutely perfectly with a giant hell fortress that the unfortunate player has to assault.

D_THE_DA: I like the progression in this piece, it gives me the feeling of an abandoned industrial complex (with exposed sky through the ceiling and bust open walls) with steady enemy progression as the player goes through the ruins.

D_SHAWN: Fast paced and action packed music (I love it!), this would be ideal for any fast and brutal battles, be it a boss fight or a slaughter fest.

I will get round to giving my thoughts on the other tracks soon, but I am out of time for today.

i should correct myself: it's D_AMPIE that isn't replaced. D_ADRIAN IS replaced!

also, all tracks that get repeated on Doom 2 is similarly repeated here on my music pack (D_RUNNIN, D_RUNNI2 etc.). the only exception is D_SHAWN, which is unique. D_SHAWN2 and D_SHAWN3 are repeated however (unless Jimmy wants me to nuke my edit of his MIDI here; i probably should have asked him if i could use them in my music pack firwst).

D_RUNNIN was just made for chainsawing zombiemen and imps, wasn't it? That's what I got out of it, anyway.

Anyway, I opened the wad in SLADE and was disappointed at the lack of a text file. You should include your author info at the least, and maybe track names, too.

Also having a hard time seeing how you're going to write a story text for a music pack. Doomguy-gets-a-Walkman(tm), perhaps? :>

oh, good spot. i didn't include a textfile yet as the pack is in a kind of beta stage now. i'll get ahead on doing that.

also, i'm thinking about making a wacky dumb titlepic with the pack along a wacky story to give it some personality other than just "music pack for Doom 2". that reminds me, what are the limits of making a titlepic for Doom?

jazzmaster9 said:

Here's my map called "The Unnamed Feeling" for Zdoom

https://www.mediafire.com/?ww3sfihj3yts9v2

Played through the map and I liked it!

I love how you blended the tech with the marble textures, its like hells own little lab. The challenge was surprisingly right on my level, I love how the starting room makes the player think on how they will survive this encounter.

Good map.

-

carrying on with the music wad:

D_DDTBLU: This track makes me think of a factory, most noticeably a steel mill (I get a heavy TNT vibe from this track), lots of machinery and crates would go well with this.

D_IN_CIT: I love this track! It makes me think of a tech base or a space station (more space station with the little jingles that play every now and then, and the fact that certain parts remind me of Marathon's soundtrack), this would go great with metal textures and STAR textures.

D_DEAD: This track gives me the impression of Doomguy's arrival in hell, slowly making his way up a hellish mountain with increasing difficulty as he progresses (going with the progression of the track), lots of red rocks, blood/lava and other stone textures would see fit with this.

D_ROMERO: This is a brilliant piece! I love the foreboding fell of this track, I would definitely consider this one as a final level track (The progressive music and creepy tone would fit in perfectly with an icon fight).

D_MESSAG: This track makes me immediately think of an urban environment (like a suburbs) with gothic influence, brick textures mixed with wooden textures would feel at home with this one IMO.

D_ADRIAN: This one feels like it would be played in a mansion or wooden complex in hell, the feel of the track is kind of medieval styled and makes me think of castles and wooden structures, this track would go well in dark gothic corridors.

D_TENSE: This one is a fast paced and action packed little gem, this gives a strong feeling of the need to go fast and would play out great in some kind of assault the player is making on a hostile structure (got to go fast, take out the defenses as quickly as possible).

D_OPENIN: This makes me think that the player is the last hope, there is something huge coming and only you can stop it, this is what you have been fighting for and what you want to end. This is a perfect boss battle tune, it makes the enemy seem more terrifying but it also makes the player feel like more of badass at the same time. This would fit in with a huge battle to rise supreme.

D_EVIL: The pounding of drums, something sinister and something organized is coming. This gives me a heavy feeling of a military styled level (possibly against rival marines or the SS), liberal use of concrete or Wolfenstien textures here.

D_ULTIMA: This track sounds like a well fought for victory tune, the player has endured so much but has to continue fighting as victory is near, I would associate this one with a battlefield with weakened enemy opposition.

D_READ_M: If this track was to be used as a level track I would use it in a prison, this track reminds me so much of "Hell 2 Pay" that I am already associating it with tech prisons and ships, I would use dark metal and brick textures.

D_DM2INT: If this was to be used as a level track rather than an intermission screen I would associate it with a slow and steady battle through a city or town, bricks and stone textures all round.

D_DM2TIT: If this track was to be used as a level track rather than a title screen, it would have to be the shortest level ever... Jokes aside it would be used in a briefing room or military boot camp, it has a heavy military base vibe going for it with the marching drum style to it.

Overall I would say that this music set is very decent, but then again I can't really review music as I have no idea what I am talking about :D

thanks for the feedback! i'm glad you enjoyed going through it (i assume you were playing through Doom 2 while running the pack?). i've updated the link in my other post with the new version of the WAD. it now has a text-file in it, explaining my thoughts about the pack, some info about it, as well as a tracklist with the full names of the songs.

Doomhuntress said:

what are the limits of making a titlepic for Doom?

Vanilla: 320x200, Doom picture format.
Source ports: all over the place.

do you already have a name in mind for this project?

maybe something very cheezy and shovelware-ish like,

"The Super Doom pack"
"Total Extreme add on pack"
"Doom Super Showdown map pack"

would any of those work?

jazzmaster9 said:

do you already have a name in mind for this project?

maybe something very cheezy and shovelware-ish like,

"The Super Doom pack"
"Total Extreme add on pack"
"Doom Super Showdown map pack"

would any of those work?

I was thinking:
"Hell's Library"
"Ultimate Wad Pack"
"A Collection of Random Doom Wads"

but I like the sound of "Total Extreme add on pack" better, sounds like a shovelware item indefinitely.

Gez said:

It's a standard TNT: Evilution sky...

Oh, I've been using custom skies for so long that I didn't even notice the original.

i made some modifications to the music pack: the intermission track's end has been changed to loop better (as well as adding a cymbal to the beginning of the track as that really bugged me for some reason), the D_MESSAG tracks have the Power drumkit now like it's supposed to, and D_ADRIAN has been replaced with a new track, Memorical Subligations: Sleep Deprivation is now in as an unused track in the pack called D_SLEEP.

also, for some reason Slade decided to nuke the contents of my text file inside the music pack. i can't fix it right now though so i'll have to do it later.

edit: some other track changes: D_READ_M has been replaced with a new track called Child's Play. the old track, The Icarus Rises Again, is in the pack as an unused extra called D_ICARUS.

the biggest change right now is that D_AMPIE has a temporary candidate now! it now houses the track TOTALLY AMERICAN METAL, which i'm contemplating about whether it makes a good fit for a Doom 2 track or not. please tell me what you think about it.

edit2: some more changes! D_SHAWN2 and 3 have been replaced by a original song, Blazing Insignia. the original song is in the pack as D_ROCK now. there's also some new bonus tracks in it now: D_NOTITL (Untitled Game Track), D_WONDER (Wonderstrike), D_UNNAME (Unnamed DNB Track), and D_SPIRAL (Sandy Spirals).

edit3: actually, you know what? Ascension of Satan is D_SHAWN2 and 3. Blazing Insignia is bonus track D_BLAZE now. fuck what my thoughts about AoS is, it's just a better fit for those slots.

Doomhuntress said:

i made some modifications to the music pack: the intermission track's end has been changed to loop better (as well as adding a cymbal to the beginning of the track as that really bugged me for some reason), the D_MESSAG tracks have the Power drumkit now like it's supposed to, and D_ADRIAN has been replaced with a new track, Memorical Subligations: Sleep Deprivation is now in as an unused track in the pack called D_SLEEP.

also, for some reason Slade decided to nuke the contents of my text file inside the music pack. i can't fix it right now though so i'll have to do it later.

edit: some other track changes: D_READ_M has been replaced with a new track called Child's Play. the old track, The Icarus Rises Again, is in the pack as an unused extra called D_ICARUS.

the biggest change right now is that D_AMPIE has a temporary candidate now! it now houses the track TOTALLY AMERICAN METAL, which i'm contemplating about whether it makes a good fit for a Doom 2 track or not. please tell me what you think about it.

edit2: some more changes! D_SHAWN2 and 3 have been replaced by a original song, Blazing Insignia. the original song is in the pack as D_ROCK now. there's also some new bonus tracks in it now: D_NOTITL (Untitled Game Track), D_WONDER (Wonderstrike), D_UNNAME (Unnamed DNB Track), and D_SPIRAL (Sandy Spirals).

edit3: actually, you know what? Ascension of Satan is D_SHAWN2 and 3. Blazing Insignia is bonus track D_BLAZE now. fuck what my thoughts about AoS is, it's just a better fit for those slots.

Sorry about taking so long to respond, real life issues and shit with the GF (But that's not important here).

Same as before, if I were to put these tracks in a wad these would be the themes I would chose for the maps:

D_AMPIE: This track is great! However it feels more like it would fit Ultimate Doom or TNT (Due to how fast paced and god damn awesome it is, it would go great with those IWADs gameplay but not Doom 2's in my opinion). This track would be best suited to fast paced gameplay, I can't really think of a specific theme but I would put it in hell (because that is where the wads difficulty would be at its highest).

D_READ_M: This sounds military to me, the drum snares make me think of a march but the jingles also add a layer of mystery to it... If this was used as a level track I would use this in an assault on a hostile military compound (with hellish elements to it) with relaxed and slow progressive gameplay.

D_ADRIAN: This track makes me think of Duke 3D, Chex and TNT all in one (I have no idea why though, probably because some parts like the start remind me of chex, the background sound reminds me of "Rabid Transit" from Duke 3D and the main part of the song reminds me of TNT). This track would go well in a underground instillation (Like a cave or even a subway), the somewhat deep tone and "Deepest Reaches" like jingle give me sense of claustrophobia (but not as in 64 wide corridors, as in trapped in a cave).

D_NOTITL: This track makes me think of a neon city with signs, lights and bars everywhere. It gives me a very neo future vibe from it, almost like an 80's future kind of feeling (The one where everything is some sort of cyber-thing, like cyborgs and flying cars). This would go great in a cyber-city or future setting. If I were to think of a name for it, I would call it something cheesy like "Neon Nightmare", "City Night Fight" or "Glowing Utopia"... But that isn't exactly preferable.

D_WONDER: This track also makes me think of the cyber future, but a more mysterious side of it, this track would go excellent in an unknown building or ship (like an organic powered factory/space craft with a blend of tech and flesh textures used) with dark and foreboding lighting.

D_UNNAME: This track would honestly be great for the list of characters at the end of the Doom 2 IWAD or the end story music (unfortunately you can't separate story screen music from each other, I think that is impossible to do outside of ZDoom), if used as a level track I would use this as a track played in a storage facility (with obligatory crate maze) because the nature of the track feels like you should be in a hurry to get out (Like have a cyberdemon roaming in that maze with you, or an army of pinkies... That would be nerve wrenching fun!).

D_SPIRAL: This track makes me think two things: Spyro and MAP31 of TNT. I think MAP31 of TNT because I think this track would go great with an ancient temple of some sort (like an Aztec or Egyptian one filled with mystery, jungle/sand and traps), the mysterious and somewhat desert sounding tune behind it just fills me with visions of sandy bricks. I think Spyro because this track gives me the idea of exploring a temple (And temples are a recurring level theme in Spyro games), it also sounds mysterious but actually kind of joyful as well (kind of like an Easter Egg level?).

D_BLAZE: This one gives me feelings of a church/chapel (mainly because of the bell like noise that plays throughout) I would generally sort this track into a graveyard map (The track also kind of reminds me of a Duke 3D level, can't recall what level it was though), a bloody and brutal assault against zombie type enemies up a cemetery hill to get to the church upon said hill, but I also get cavernous feeling from this track (but a more open and explorable one than what one would expect).

Now did I miss any tracks or did I get them all? It gets really confusing loading up a random Doom 2 map then using "changemus D_XXXXX" so do tell me if I missed a track or two.

i can't honestly remember anymore... i've made lots of small tweaks to the pack from time to time, mostly ranging from editing some songs to loop better. not sure if i would call the pack "finished" yet though as i'd like to hear more critique about the choice of tracks and if they fit their respective level slots or not.

Doomhuntress said:

i can't honestly remember anymore... i've made lots of small tweaks to the pack from time to time, mostly ranging from editing some songs to loop better. not sure if i would call the pack "finished" yet though as i'd like to hear more critique about the choice of tracks and if they fit their respective level slots or not.

I will get onto that later today, I'll tell you which MAPXX I was on and how well I think the track fits its place (as well as where I would put them map number wise).

the pack is now a zip! https://www.dropbox.com/s/hu4v8coewxm18x0/vyemus.zip

it now contains a small story in the textfile that makes no sense and is really dumb. the project name for it now is called Doomguy Lost His iPod. i've also done some other tweaks on the pack: D_UNTITL is now called D_AFFECT (Unmistakable Affection; same track, just added stereo-effects and title), D_AMPIE is replaced with a remix of Serj Tankian's Blue (original track is in the pack as D_METAL now), and probably other misc changes i can't think of ATM.

Sorry for a lot of inactivity, I have a couple personal projects to do (and they will probably end up here too).

All wads submitted so far are in their respective folder positions right now (I.E music and maps folders) with the .txt file accompanying it (I hope you don't mind but I renamed the .txt to the name of the .wad as well to stop any uncertainty of which file goes with which wad).

my zip file has been updated slightly to include a tracklist of the entire pack's music (bonus tracks included). the tracklist in the pack is in the TRACKLIST.txt file. i'm probably going to update the pack sometime soon, to fix some of the tracks, so i feel the pack can really be finalized with a titlepic and misc graphics replacements afterwards.

Been busy with other shit for a while, back with some questions and news:

itwas.wad:
So this map was a semi serious wad, now I have decided to change it into one of those quirky 90's style wads. The wad is set in a hotel with a demonic presence that you, an exorcist of the most extreme kind, have been sent to "bless" this building with your very own "holy" bullets and shells...

Basically a campy 90's story with a quirky little 90's like map (I'm gonna have a passage in the basement to hell or something) including pointless rooms with random items in (like hotel rooms and shit) with dead bodies killed in various ways (I use the "pool of **" things to try and tell a story on what happened here) and various little pointless details (like a 90's wad).

My own custom music:

I have been doing a little thing for fun, I have been attempting (and failing horribly) to create my very own "ambient" "music" in the style of the PSX/N64 port of Doom, I have made 3 tracks so far (that can be viewed with the links provided below, although for some reason 2 of them will randomly refuse to load :/ ), this so called "ambient" "music" is also a little experiment of mine:

Can I make an ambient track with just 11 sounds?

I take 11 random sounds and edit them to sound like a PSX style track, one sound for the backing and 10 for the main material.

Could anybody please tell me if they are worth putting into this project or if I should can the shit.

Track 01, "Loophole": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8W22ka3GwRk
Track 02, "Transmission": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wu2wq91fn3g
Track 03, "Demonic Debate": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQlGizEHgVU

EDIT: I also compiled some music for Doom 2 (For ZDoom, .ogg format) from the game "Marathon" that has been released as freeware, I am just wondering if I would be allowed to upload that as well (seen as though I made the wad, but don't own the music, but it's freeware... I don't know).

I also have a "Duke Nukem: Total Meltdown" ZDoom (.mp3 format) music replacement for Ultimate Doom but I know I can't upload that one.

I'm interested in this collection project mrthejoshmon. However, I have a couple of suggestions for you; Instead of a collection of "wads" why don't you make a collection of maps in one pwad? It could be similar to how the Doomworld Mega projects operates or the Deathmatch Revival Project I'm running. I think you should make more limits on what to accept in this project. Either make it a singleplayer/co-op wad or deathmatch wad. And have it run either with the IWADS: DOOM.wad or DOOM2.wad.

That's good that you are not accepting joke wads. idgames has too many joke wads as it is and too many fucking terry wads.

I'll probably look to make a wolfenstein Deathmatch wad.

doomguy93 said:

I'm interested in this collection project mrthejoshmon. However, I have a couple of suggestions for you; Instead of a collection of "wads" why don't you make a collection of maps in one pwad?

I believe he is trying to go for a shovel ware type compilation set up where its just "a zip file with a whole bunch of wads", i even compared it to 32 over 32, it was discussed before in this thread.

doomguy93 said:

I'm interested in this collection project mrthejoshmon. However, I have a couple of suggestions for you; Instead of a collection of "wads" why don't you make a collection of maps in one pwad? It could be similar to how the Doomworld Mega projects operates or the Deathmatch Revival Project I'm running. I think you should make more limits on what to accept in this project. Either make it a singleplayer/co-op wad or deathmatch wad. And have it run either with the IWADS: DOOM.wad or DOOM2.wad.

That's good that you are not accepting joke wads. idgames has too many joke wads as it is and too many fucking terry wads.

I'll probably look to make a wolfenstein Deathmatch wad.

It's separate wads so it allows anybody to contribute anything (Music, textures, single maps, multiple maps, megawads ect.)

And I would gladly except your Deathmatch map, your deathmatch maps are pure quality!

jazzmaster9 said:

I believe he is trying to go for a shovel ware type compilation set up where its just "a zip file with a whole bunch of wads", i even compared it to 32 over 32, it was discussed before in this thread.

This is exactly my intentions.