Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Brad_tilf

Restoring Doom Wad Station (will take some time)

As many are aware, Doom Wad Station went off line some time in the middle of December. After speaking to the current owner of the domain, who has no intention of restoring Doom Wad Station to the internet, I received his permissions to retain the name and put Doom Wad Station back on the internet. Fortunately, I have the files. Unfortunately, they are horribly out of date (the web pages). So... it will have a somewhat different look and hopefully one that is acceptable - although, I am hardly what you would call a web developer or an html expert. I have begun to get it back up, however, with the main page online, the first few of my maps' pages back on line and an update to the links that used to be on the site because, sadly, many of the links led to dead ends. I am not willing to allow Doom Wad Station to simply become a website that WAS. I feel it has a place in the Doom community and is part of the history because of all the maps that were reviewed and maintained there - some of them not available anywhere else, including (because I have all the files) the original HACX site, which WILL be restored over time as I move along in the project. With all that said, the current domain is now http://www.doomwadstation.net and has been pre-purchased for the upcoming year. It will be maintained. There may even be future enhancements (reviews), but not for some time. Much of the site has yet to be restored, but come back now and again to check on the updates.

Thank you, that's amazing, I'll be checking the website every now and then, i was sad when the site went down, but you brought back one of the first Doom websites i found, and I'm very grateful for that, i await for the new updates and reviews you'll do. :)

Thankyou. I can't tell you how much it means to me to know that there are people out there who have good memories related to Doom Wad Station and are happy that I am restoring it

Nice to know DWS hasn't died.

Brad_tilf said:

. . .an update to the links that used to be on the site because, sadly, many of the links led to dead ends.

I've archived much of the site at least twice and might be able to help resolve those dead ends.

Will Jive's Legacy and GZDoom WADs sites be restored as well? They were hosted there.

The last communication that I had with Jive, which as many years ago, was that he wanted it all removed. He converted to religion or something. whatever. So, sadly, no.

Greyghost, I was speaking about external links. Not internal ones. Although, there is the possibility that I could be missing some stuff. As I move along in the project, you could certainly advise me on whether I am missing something or not. For instance, what were the most recent - say last 5 Doom and Doom2 reviews? If I have them then I should be good. If not, then it is good that someone else held on to them. :-)

Nice, now the "Slige megawads" side can be named "Oblige megawads" :P

Brad_tilf said:

The last communication that I had with Jive, which as many years ago, was that he wanted it all removed. He converted to religion or something. whatever. So, sadly, no.

Jive is probably dead I'm afraid. Might have been a toomah, so take whatever he said in the last few weeks with a grain of salt. Restoring his website would be fitting, I think.

Are we sure about that? Is there any way to say for sure? If it's true I would like to put it back with a sort of obituary or "in memory" kind of thing.

And sadly, unless I have the files on an old cld cd somewhere, it looks like I did not save his files. Of course, the entire site is available on the internet wayback machine but perhaps there is someone else who backed up those files?

Brad_tilf said:

Slige can be fun to play with on occasion. lol

Yea, that I know it can but it can get monotonous. Also the upcoming version of Oblige V6 is showing much promise.

Brad_tilf said:

what were the most recent - say last 5 Doom and Doom2 reviews? If I have them then I should be good.

My most recent snapshot (June 2011) has the following -

For Doom

• Suicide - 30 Apr 2007
  • ADA v2 - 7 Dec 2006
  • Death is Just the Beginning - 31 May 2005
  • Cacophony of Silence - 14 Apr 2005
  • Contamination Zone - 13 May 2004
For Doom 2 (all from 2007)
  • Haunted - 22 May
  • Outpost of Doom - 21 May
  • Purged - 10 Apr
  • Primary - 6 Apr
  • Environmental - 4 Apr

Brad_tilf said (of Jive's files):
And sadly, unless I have the files on an old cld cd somewhere, it looks like I did not save his files. Of course, the entire site is available on the internet wayback machine but perhaps there is someone else who backed up those files?

That I can help you with, though not while my phone line's on the blink (I've booked another service call, hopefully it'll be third time lucky). I'd archived all the wads before Jive deleted them, not sure how good an idea it'd be to put his wads back online but there's still the stuff he hosted for MR_ROCKET and Sparky.

Brad_tilf said:

That IS extremely sad. Jive was unquestionably on of my favorite people in the Doom community.

one of the first people I came into contact with in the doom community, back in the days of the old green Legacy forums.

I rather liked him. His English was probably the most mangled thing thing I have ever had the pleasure of experiencing and it never, ever, showed any signs of improving over the course of twelve fucking years. He was the doom-community equivalent of some crazy-enthusiastic indian call center worker.

Anyway, yeah, I'd take whatever happened towards the end with a grain of salt. Lymph-node cancer generates secondary tumours like the patron saint of motherfuckers. I'd be surprised if his brain hadn't been affected by that. I genuinely think that his website was a massive part of his life and it would be a shame to let cancer / some fucking messianic snake oil peddler ruin that.

I gotta tell you. This last week has been a bear. I have all the files but they aren't saved in their original file structure and honestly, the old file structure didn't make alot of sense anyway - it just kind of happened, so I'm trying to rectify that. In the meantime - All of my maps are online (of course I did THOSE first) and I completed all of the Doom 3 pages - Main page - TC's, Utilities, etc...
I also updated the ID Game Demos section, which is kind of a history (with pictures and downloads) of all the Doom shareware downloads. I also completed the Doom bestiary page (Doom Monsters) and FINALLY got into the Doom and Doom2 Total Conversions page. THAT is alot of work and I have a fair amount of work left to do on it, but there is an update on my Main Page about all the updates, what has been updated, etc...

Again, thanks for supporting the site and being patient while I go through the painstaking process of updating the pages, fixing links, creating a more cogent directory structure, etc...

So, two weeks into the restoration of the site and I've made far more progress than I ever expected to, given the sheer enormity of the task at hand and the fact that I'm not simply uploading files but actually redoing most of the pages, fixing links, checking links to external sites, etc... etc... etc...

Anyway, aside from getting my own maps online, I completed all the of the Doom 3 Section of the site, the Doom and Doom 2 Total Conversions section and a whole lot more, including updating the /idgames section of the site (yes, the dl's are actually on my site as opposed to simply linking their servers, which I infinitely prefer). So, if you're inclined to get updated on all the work I've gotten done, head on over to Doom Wad Station and check out the Site news (scroll down just a little) and find out what's gotten done and what is left to do.

That's great to hear! I have always wanted to download alien vs predator vs the terminator, but I couldn't since the site was down at the time. I can't wait to finally play the wad!

So, in case you HAVEN'T been following my progress on the website, I've gotten pretty much everything back online with the exception of the Doom 2 reviews. I have gotten the 2007 reviews back up and am currently working my way backward, so I'm on 2006. LOTS of progress in just under 3 weeks. I have some other content I want to add after I'm done with this but it has more to do with returning Doom Legacy Wads (Jive's pages) and Looney Toon Doom and some other stuff to the website. Anyway, getting there. Happy Dooming!

So no, not the site design. I'm no site designer but I think there will be some modernization coming in that arena. The real changes are coming in how DWS interacts with the outside world. I created a Doom Wad Station Facebook page - you know how to find that stuff. I also added like/share links on the site. Also created a subreddit page for Doom Wad Station - Doom Wad Station subreddit and I'm hoping to do some more with the 21st century tools at my disposal to promote the site and have an engaging discussion surrounding DWS, Doom, other ID games and the future of Doom - Doom 4 (astonishingly only called "Doom" by ID Software. So, feel free to join me in my evolution as a 21st century Doomer using the tools of the internet to keep Doom fresh and in the eyes of the public!

So, I thought I would give you all a more or less complete update. won't take but a moment. Virtually everything that I WANT back online, is, with the exception of about half of the 2003 reviews for Doom 2 and the reviews from 2002 and back. Everything else is up and running, all links removed to dead sites, pages cleaned up, etc... All the Doom 3 stuff is there - all the doom reviews, my maps (of course), the /idgames area - all of it, including looney toon doom, Doom Legacy Wads and GZdoom. Bunch of other stuff too - Wolfenstein, some Quake stuff which I'll be adding on to but I'm not in any rush. Hopefully I'll be ready to start doing some reviews soon. :-)

May I ask why NewDoom is still on the left side links? It is hardly relevant for Doom anymore and its news has not been updated since April of 2009.

The forums still have a little bit of activity but Phoebus has some bullshit restrictions such as X amount of posts per day and other dumb limitations unless you subscribe for money.

Mr. Chris said:

May I ask why NewDoom is still on the left side links? It is hardly relevant for Doom anymore and its news has not been updated since April of 2009.

The forums still have a little bit of activity but Phoebus has some bullshit restrictions such as X amount of posts per day and other dumb limitations unless you subscribe for money.

Why bother to take it down?

It's barely a Doom site now before Phoebus got money hungry.

I guess it can for archive purposes..