Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
General Rainbow Bacon

Corrupt files on the archive

I just tried downloading one of the new wads from the archive and the files are okay. Could you rephrase your request any more stupid?

Try downloading the bigport wad and the one by aluqah, they don't seem to be working.

E: Big spaceport's download mirror from Greece is working, but NY and Germany don't.

The Aluqah mapset doesn't work at any of the supported mirrors, haven't checked the others.

I just downloaded bigport from the German mirror, opened the archive and successfully started the map. It must be something on your end, have you tried downloading from different mirrors?

EDIT: Ninja'd. Well, I'm still convinced it's more likely to do with your connection than with the entire archive (various ftp mirrors around the world). Try downloading over and over until you succeed. Or try tomorrow when your network wisens up.

Maybe the last link to your place, such a someone working on the lines. Have heard of flooded cables messing with internet.
Also consider a virus in your computer (they corrupt stuff randomly),
or a local changed setting (I get problems with a DOS to Linux automatic CRLF conversion corrupting wads).
Or it could be something you use after unzipping the archive that makes it look corrupted.
Sometimes it is just using the wrong port, or the wrong option settings. A hexen format, or zdoom wad, on a vanilla port??

Note that your browser's cache is bound to have copies of files you download, so you need to empty your cache before really downloading them again or all you'll get is the same corrupt zip already on your system.

Good point. Using a download manager can prevent that particular problem.

General Rainbow Bacon said:

I dunno, my internet is being weird today, that could be part of it.

I feel your pain. I've been having trouble with my phone line for more than a month now and Telstra's linesmen appear to lack the time, patience and/or wits required to locate the problem.

Okay, so I figured out that it's any compressed file and any .exe file I download gives me the CRC error corruption message, or won't install because it's corrupt. Dunno what's causing it. Might have to send my laptop in to have something done this weekend.

E: Tried clearing the cache, no dice.

Before sending your laptop off, do you have another computer you can use in its place to see if the problem's elsewhere? Ethernet and phone leads are a common source of connection issues and often overlooked.

I have my PC in storage and don't really feel like setting it up just for this, I need to update its hardware anyway so maybe I can borrow a friend's laptop or something.

E: Fixed :D Had to remove some adware that got on my browser somehow.

General Rainbow Bacon said:

E: Fixed :D Had to remove some adware that got on my browser somehow.

I don't suppose it promised a faster and smoother browsing experience, if you parted with some money for an "add-on" to cure the problem it created?

I suddenly remembered this:

-Hermógenes, it seems that you sent me a corrupt file.
-If you want the data, you must make a "voluntary" donation.

Zed said:

-If you want the data, you must make a "voluntary" donation.

Heh - that's a bit like CryptoLocker.