Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Liam

The /newstuff Chronicles #83

I'll take '/newstuff' for 'four', Alex. Take a look at these worthy new maps, straight out of /incoming.

The DIG by Oleg Rekutin - - We're starting off this week with an interesting single-player Doom 2 map replacing Map01. The DIG consists of six main areas, five 'islands' linked via teleporter to a 'hub'. It doesn't seem to conform to any particular theme or setting; the choice in textures is varied and inconsistent. The author was obviously focused on the gameplay concept above all else. Seasoned doomers will probably find The DIG too easy, especially with the help of a secret area or two.

Ruma by Espi - - Well, this wins my award. Ruma is a single-player map running on Doom 2 Map01, and it both looks awesome and plays awesome. This one takes place in a small base built into the landscape of a large ruin. You can imagine just how the setting would look and feel in real life. The health and ammo balance is almost perfect... although you'll probably have to do a bit of running to survive. The secret areas don't tip the scale too far in your favor, which I believe is an often overlooked aspect of good gameplay. Don't be the last to download it. Requires an advanced Doom port.

The Outlands by Alex Parsons - - Alex Parsons releases his third map, following the previously reviewed World's End and The Underground. Replacing Map01 of Doom 2, The Outlands is a worthy challenge for the veteran Doomer. In this map, you find yourself smack dab in the middle of an E3M2-esque stone maze filled with well-placed Chaingunners and Mancubuses that can take your head off in seconds if you're not careful. Finishing this map on Ultra-Violence will more than likely require a few savegames. Advanced Doom port recommended.

Glacial Caverns by Jerry Lehr Jr. - - Well here's something you don't see every day: a JDoom-specific map. Glacial Caverns is a single-player map running on Doom 2 Map01 taking place in, well, glacial caverns. The map looks very nice and provides an immersive atmosphere despite the low detail level. The 'Ice Imps' are a nice touch, but the SS Nazis and Former Humans look fairly stupid and out-of-place. You may find yourself getting lost or confused on several occasions but it doesn't detract too much from the fun factor of the map. I'd say it's worth the download if you already have Jdoom/Doomsday.

Lament said:

why are your screenshots always so damn dark!

Because your monitor sucks!

Lament said:

why are your screenshots always so damn dark!

If a screenshot's dark it's because the map is dark. I could flood them with gamma correction in which case they would look shitty and dark, if you like.

Liam the Bard said:

If a screenshot's dark it's because the map is dark. I could flood them with gamma correction in which case they would look shitty and dark, if you like.

coughandrewbcough

Opulent said:

Ruma sure is nice...

word; take shots without enabling stretch short skies, damn it!

By the way, there are actually six wads in /newstuff 'cos my heretic episode (shadow.zip) is in there as well. Do Heretic wads not count anymore, or did it just fail to make the deadline (it was put in /newstuff last night)

Wow, Espi, really nice map! For once I enjoyed playing a map from start to finish rather than idclipping through to quickly inhale the architectural aspect. Nice work :)

well the stupid sprites were going to be replaced later anyways with models, says in the text. don't worry, the actual game will be higher quality everything

Fredrik said:

idclipping through to quickly inhale the architectural aspect. Nice work :)

*cough*Vrack*cough* :P

Ultimate DooMer said:

By the way, there are actually six wads in /newstuff 'cos my heretic episode (shadow.zip) is in there as well. Do Heretic wads not count anymore, or did it just fail to make the deadline (it was put in /newstuff last night)

Yes, Ty got the new maps moved out of incoming rather quickly yesterday so it's likely you didn't get them uploaded in time for the first move. This means of course that I should get to them for the /newstuff next week, don't worry =)

great map espi, I hope you fixed that bug I pointed out.. it doesn't seem to happen anymore so I guess you did =) reminded me a little of ruinbros for some reason (and that is a really good thing).

"hatechild" ... Isn't that a Duran Duran lyric? :P

I'm actually serious. I think it was a Duran Duran lyric.

never really heard that much duran duran if any, i'm sure i have and just don't know who it is. hatechild was an old song structure from a long ass time ago back when i wanted to be in an industrial band with my friends. it's one that was flushed but i just thought of the name and typed it in for my username, and started my doom page the same day, using that name. just a dumb toy with words / lovechild/hatechild, because it sounded cool back in the day for some reason. i already changed the page name to AlienNation, because of its double meaning and i'll probably use it as a chapter name in the game instead of the 2nd one. i dunno, that one was probably accidentally stolen and thought-to-be original too, and i'm sure someone had to have thought of that one before too somewhere for something

I thought this map would be an average everyday map for most people, but, well, it's nice to see this reaction. =)

I guess I've played it too many times to be much thrilled by it anymore. :P

Erik: it had some lines with raise floor special that weren't tagged.

I thought this map would be an average everyday map for most people, but, well, it's nice to see this reaction. =)

Well no, it wasn't hyper-superb but it was a close-to-flawless and fun-to-play-through level without ugliness.

Which jDoom folder does this mp3 go in for Glacial?

Wow! You all have to see that Ruma map using Boomsday. That's the best looking port I've seen. The rope bridge looks perfect in OpenGL! Make sure to run glbsp on the Ruma map. In fact, you have to anyways to get the map too load in Boomsday. It's worth it!

Get it here:

ftp://jfiles:jfiles@server1.thefourwinds.net/boomsday/

ftp://jfiles@server1.thefourwinds.net/boomsday/jboomreadme.txt

Get the MD2 models too. They look really good.

"Boomsday is a fusion of Doomsday v1.11, MBF and prBoom, by GMJ."

rtz said:

Which jDoom folder does this mp3 go in for Glacial?

uhh, i guess it depends on if its 1.13.0 or 1.13.1
one goes in / and if that doesn't work try /run/jdoom/
i know its one of the two

<catchup>Big Guns was class! I've never really had to fight like that before and the traps were all big and nasty, which is how I like it. Not impossible to do without cheats, which is another plus. And yes, I didn't find the crusher where the cyberdemon is, I just killed him with 3 bfg shots and a few shells.</catchup>

Ruma was good, I enjoyed it. Great traps in the outdoor area. But that rope bridge puzzles me, 'cos it's not a doom2.exe 3d bridge and I was playing with Boom v2.02 (and if it was for Legacy it would have said so)

Outlands was challenging and nice to look at as well, you don't often see sp_rock1/2 used like that. The best of the Worlds Apart series so far.

Ultimate DooMer said:

<catchup>Big Guns was class! I've never really had to fight like that before and the traps were all big and nasty, which is how I like it. Not impossible to do without cheats, which is another plus. And yes, I didn't find the crusher where the cyberdemon is, I just killed him with 3 bfg shots and a few shells.</catchup>

Yup,well caught up and very true.
Ah Ruma,it's a beaut,very nice.Great balance with the health and ammo.I just scraped through now with 1%health and had to kill the last 3 chaingunners with the berserk,nice tension.Yeah that rope bridge is kewl ok.
Right on to the next map but I'll certainly play Ruma again:)

Ruma certainly wins MY award too, but it was a close one. Pretty damn realistic, especially with the shattered walls. I liked the RL amidst the debris in that two-window room, making it look like someone tried to put up a fight by shooting the RL through the window, but a cyberdemon lobbed one back and...

Outlands really made me fight for my life; I loved every second of it. For some reason, the terrain struck me as very aesthetic. Never again am I just gonna walk into an open area and expect to live. I never knew chaingunners could be so well camouflaged by sp_rock textures. =)

Godammit I love Espi's levels and he's done it again. Ruma will kick ass right along side of Tolwatt and Laitos.

Ultimate DooMer said:

that rope bridge puzzles me, 'cos it's not a doom2.exe 3d bridge

It is a doom2.exe trick. In fact the only reason it requires a source port is because it'll look like this in doom2.exe.

Who does it result in HOM with doom2.exe? I've seen loads of 3D bridges that work fully with doom2.exe...