Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
waverider

Sinister-looking kinda dark or dark hell sky wanted!

Greetings,

I'm looking for a good and sinister-looking somewhat dark or dark hell sky for my megawad. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance! :)

/ Waverider

Hey man, I might have one you could use.

It's a scrap that I tweaked a bit. I'm not sure what I originally made it for though. But it might pass for what your looking for :)

If not, I think I might have some red hellish night/space skies too. I'll have to dig around.

Mechadon said:

Hey man, I might have one you could use.

- Picture -

It's a scrap that I tweaked a bit. I'm not sure what I originally made it for though. But it might pass for what your looking for :)

If not, I think I might have some red hellish night/space skies too. I'll have to dig around.

That's a cool sky! I admit that I was actually looking for a classic red sky, and still am. But if it's alright with you, I'll happily accept that black sky. :) Will certainly come in handy for the gloomier hell maps. :)

Hey I hope you don't mind DooMAD. I took a stab at editing that awesome sky to work in Doom's palette and texture size.

It's 256x240, so it will repeat twice horizontally. I didn't try it out in-game (actually I didn't test the other I posted either), but I think it will look pretty slick.

While I'm here, here's another one I experimented around with. I just made it wrap horizontally so it should be good to go in that regard. I still don't know what it looks like in-game though :P

Rayzik said:

If you don't mind, I might yoink this for my project as well :)

Sure, go for it!

Very nice looking textures, seen from here! I'd also like to try some of these skies on an dark side of the (earth) moon - styled wad I'm building, if you don't mind...

EDIT: uhm... any chance of that last wraparound nebulaic-red-with-pinpoint-starry-goodness sky, also coming in dark grays/black (like the first nighty atmospheric cloud swirl??)

Thanks all for the suggestions! Since my megawad is for Boom, I'll probably go with Mechadon's black sky as well as DooMAD's red sky.

Soundblock said:

EDIT: uhm... any chance of that last wraparound nebulaic-red-with-pinpoint-starry-goodness sky, also coming in dark grays/black (like the first nighty atmospheric cloud swirl??)

Like this?

And hey, here are some pink and green variants too. Because why not.

The green one is a little rough, but oh well. I just whipped these up really quick. At some point, I've got a bunch of Vela Pax rejects that I'll upload. Some of which are ok, but most of them are awful :P

Avoozl said:

Why would a hell sky have stars?

Yawn.

Damn that DooMAD sky with endless lava ocean is awesome. Desolation! Hopelessness! Exactly how I like my Doom =)

Glad people are liking the sky, feel free to use/edit it as you please.

If anyone's looking for software to make their own skies, I strongly advise against Vue 11 as it's an absolute piece of shit. The earlier versions of Vue d'Esprit, however, were quite brilliant. Vue 4 is the one I'd recommend of the ones I've used.

Avoozl said:

Why would a hell sky have stars?

I agree with this sentiment. Putting stars just feels like it's part of our Universe, somewhere in a far away galaxy, not Hell. Even ignoring this, the clouds are supposed to cover the view of the stars, unless those are really Lost Souls waiting to ambush you from the sky. How would that be?

Honestly, I'm less bothered by the stars existing and more bothered by them being stretched really badly horizontally.

>>Like this?<<
Hell yeah, that's superfantastic specialsauce worthy!

>>Why would a hell sky have stars?<<
Well duh, it's mid-epsiode, hell hasn't dawned yet.

Damn, I might actually have to try and finish a level now. =P

Shadow Hog said:

Honestly, I'm less bothered by the stars existing and more bothered by them being stretched really badly horizontally.

Remember the engine will stretch them really badly vertically, so in the end it'll work out just fine.

I meant to chip on to the thread content earlier, back when the posts were right out of the oven. Better late than never.

If Waverider or anyone else need yet another dark sky, this one fits the bill:

Guest Unregistered account

The only problem with that awesome lava ocean sky is that the lava would stay static and still and would look weird in-game. :/

Joe667 said:

The only problem with that awesome lava ocean sky is that the lava would stay static and still and would look weird in-game. :/

Not really, most of real world lava moves pretty slow.

Ralphis said:

If you've never personally been to hell, how can you assume that it has no stars?

Then we can assume that it has mushrooms, candies, balloons and Teddy Bears, because I think nobody has personally been to hell here to say there aren't :P. Let's just follow the acclaimed fire, torment and suffering convention, shall we?

wow, that orange-red starry sky looks amazing. I think I might actually use that instead of the udoom e4 orange sky currently, because that sky is used in pretty much every single wad ever.

EDIT: I applied it and I don't think it is wrapping correctly. Here's a screenshot: http://postimg.org/image/pm2hzr625/

You can see the seam where it connects... How do I fix that? It's a limit-removing wad btw for prboom-plus.

Make sure you edited the TEXTURE1 entry for the sky texture so that it fits the dimensions of the patch (should be 1024x240 if you didn't cut it up into 4 256px wide patches).

Or maybe I didn't make it tile properly, I dunno.

Yea I think it's tiled badly because the texture1 lump says that the sky is 1024 x 240, so it's the correct size. You should probably fix that.

Edit: actually, no, I'm probably doing something wrong because I see it isn't displaying the whole sky. It's like tiling 256 wide sections of it.

Hmm, I just checked it and it tiles seamlessly for me. PrBoom+ should support 1024px wide patches, so I don't think cutting it up and assembling it in TEXTURE1 is necessary.

Without actually seeing the wad, I can't figure out what the problem is.