Find results that contain...
Find results in...
CeeJay

[3DGE] Doom Forever REDUX (updated)

zXM8lkz.png
"Now less half-ass and more bad-ass."

(outdated and lame) screenshots: http://imgur.com/a/b3IaV#9

Question: "So what the hell is Doom Forever?"
Answer: "Enhancement mod for 3DGE. Sort of like brutal DOOM but more retro, less exaggerated, less bullshit and with balance and gameplay that sticks closer to vanilla DOOM."

Question: "So what's difference between this and the original DF?"
Answer: "I'll tell ya..."

Spoiler

Improved and extended use of 3DGE's dynamic lighting (further tweaking may be needed)
Proper alternate attacks for all but one weapon (check out chainsaw & shotgun)
Less but better and more polished gib effects
Headshots (disabled for the time being)
Lots of previous bulls#$t excluded!
More vanilla-balanced player and enemy attacks
More unique monster quirks and alternate ways for 'em to kick your ass
Updated heads-up-display (HUD)

Gimme, gimme, gimme: http://www.moddb.com/mods/doom-forever-3dge-mod
Remember, kiddies, this is for 3DGE.

Need headbanging music to go with it?
IDKFA DOOM 1/Ultimate DOOM soundtrack (added 3DGE support): http://www.mediafire.com/download/91wx9l6ltl33h39/IDKFAv3dge.wad
DOOM Metal Soundtrack for DOOM 1 & 2: http://www.mediafire.com/download/nqvwpr3thbat011/DoomMetalVol4.zip
Remastered DOOM 1 & 2 music by Shane Strife: http://www.mediafire.com/download/dbd3yxt2623giu5/Doom4music.zip

Credits

Spoiler

id Software
Raven Software
Midway
Apogee
3D Realms
Bethesda
Bungie
Eriance
David G.
JoyeTD
Blox
Don Tello aka Cory Whittle
Doom Nukem
Perkristian
Smooth DOOM team
Sgt. Shivers
Mike12
Dr. Doctor
Sergeant Mark IV
Vader
osjclatchford
Stopsignal
zrrion the insect
Arachnorodent (spooky projectile)

Edited by CeeJay

walter confalonieri said:

really interesting stuff, but i don't have EDGE...

Don't worry, the required version will be included with the package

Screenshots really don't do much justice, so I now release it but updates may and probably will be a reality.

http://www.mediafire.com/?92dcg5omuslo1lj

It requires 3DGE (EDGE 1.36) which is included in the package, so don't sweat it. You may also need to adjust some settings in the sound options as this is pretty hefty in the sound department (there's over 400 sound effects total actually). And here are some gameplay tips/hints:

* Barrels can be moved around to set up strategic traps

* Knelled enemies can be pushed or kicked out of the way, or shot for that matter

* Fallen marines can be helpful even in death, hint hint

* Columns and large trees can be hidden behind for cover against enemy attacks, projectiles and shots won't pass through them

* All guns have a secondary melee attack in the form of a quick kick

* Keeping a distance between you and the enemy is vital since they do more damage up close

* Fire hurts as does ricocheting bullets

Enjoy!

Sorta like a poor-man's Brutal Doom, but I won't hold that against it; fatalities were a thing I didn't like, nor the overly-loud screams -- and this lacks both.

Played the first 11 maps of Doom 2. I will do the rest and get back to you, but this seems nicely-rounded without much in the way of glitches or problems.

But make no mistake, people will be comparing this (occasionally unfairly) to BD. I just happen to really like EDGE so it gets my vote.

Thank you, if you stumble upon any oddities you can just mention it to me.

Yes, this is not Brutal DOOM.

Like I mentioned in the initial post:

CeeJay said:
This is not Brutal DOOM. It is not in any shape or form affiliated with Brutal DOOM. Please, do not confuse or compare this to Brutal DOOM. Brutal DOOM is first and foremost a gore mod, this is first and foremost an enhancement/extension of the original game.

I do like this, though - don't be misled.

It does feel like BD's weapon balance toned down to something more in line with the original game, which I could say with the enemies too - I guess. On top of this, EDGE runs better on my crusty laptop than GZDoom so it's a more lightweight alternative that preserves more of the original game's 'feel'.

I can't wait to see if any level-sets are made with this in mind; I'd love to see something quite urban personally. I guess the quick-kicking and occasional sound effect give this a Duke 3D vibe in places.

I wish somebody could make something like Brutal Doom, but without the cartoony violence, and a more gritty atmosphere. I don't know if this is anything close to that, but the screenshots do look better than BD. But then again, I'm not a BD fan at all, so.

Jayextee said:

I do like this, though - don't be misled.

It does feel like BD's weapon balance toned down to something more in line with the original game, which I could say with the enemies too - I guess. On top of this, EDGE runs better on my crusty laptop than GZDoom so it's a more lightweight alternative that preserves more of the original game's 'feel'.

I can't wait to see if any level-sets are made with this in mind; I'd love to see something quite urban personally. I guess the quick-kicking and occasional sound effect give this a Duke 3D vibe in places.

Most of the weapons have close to identical rate of fire as their original counterpart. All of the monster fireballs do equal damage, are only a fraction faster, the zombieman and sergeants shots are a little more equal to the players counterpart but will do about double damage at point-blank. The imp is a little faster and his clawing attack is more intense. The demon does a little more damage when attacking, etc. Only small changes really as I did not want to stray away too far from the original game.

This wasn't made with any levelsets in mind, it won't be made by me at least.

Aw, I wanna try this but the download link won't work for me for some reason. Tried in a couple of browsers but it gives me an error.

From screenshots it reminds me of how Doom feels on other systems, like Doom 64 or Doom PSX, I really wanna try it.

MegaTurtleRex said:

Aw, I wanna try this but the download link won't work for me for some reason. Tried in a couple of browsers but it gives me an error.

From screenshots it reminds me of how Doom feels on other systems, like Doom 64 or Doom PSX, I really wanna try it.

What does the error message say?

CeeJay said:

What does the error message say?

Google Chrome says 'unable to access network' but I just tried Internet Explorer and it worked this time, so I'll try it out :)

Ok this is really good. What I like about it is that it still feels like I am playing vanilla Doom in terms of balance and pacing. I think you've kept the gore just at the right level and I also love the reaction of enemies hit by the plasma rifle.

Here's what I would change but this is just subjective preference:

- Replace the floating Heretic vials. They do look good but it feels really weird having a Heretic item in Doom and makes the mod feel less polished imo.

- Remove the pump animation when switching to the standard shotgun. It's really annoying switching to the shotgun and having Doomguy waste time ejecting or prepping a shell.

- Remove the star effects around the Soul Sphere, It's a really iconic powerup and looks good by default anyway.

- Remove the Imp holding his guts death animation. Probably just me but I always disliked that one.

- The letter E seems to be hard bound to alternate attack, I've tried remapping it for 'use item' but it still causes Doomguy to attack. Not a big deal but I think most people are used to E for open and close? I guess Spacebar is the true Doom way though :3

Good mod, things I would change are.

The never ending blood fountain animation should run out after about a second and a half, just leaving them there to gush all over the place looks too cartoony.

possibly change the chaingun sprite (the doom64 one looks out of place imo)

Heretic vials back to doom ones.

Random items from dead marines rather than just bullets.

Aside from that all is well, shaping up really nicely.

Tompig said:

The never ending blood fountain animation should run out after about a second and a half, just leaving them there to gush all over the place looks too cartoony.

Have you seen some of the other deaths? It's already pretty cartoony. Besides, you can get rid of them fairly easy. They only have 5 health if I remember correctly.

Tompig said:

possibly change the chaingun sprite (the doom64 one looks out of place imo)

I like the Doom 64 chaingun a lot better than the original one. It has little more "personality" and I don't think it is out of place myself. Besides, the added frames for the original one don't animate very well.

Tompig said:

Heretic vials back to doom ones.

Hmmm, yeah maybe. I added it because it is more identifiable as to what it is and I figured it would give a little connection of sorts to the Heretic games. Though, Doomguy uses it differently.

Tompig said:

Random items from dead marines rather than just bullets.

Balance has to be taken into consideration here. Having the dead marines drop all sorts of weapons and ammo would severely screw up the balance, and make the game considerable easier.

Tompig said:

Aside from that all is well, shaping up really nicely.

Thank you!

UPDATE

http://www.mediafire.com/?cbu6e7c8721cphm

* Some "graphical garbage" on the chainsaw frames removed

* Special chainsaw deaths for the zombieman, sergeant, commando and imp re-instated (they were scrapped initially)

* An additional normal death for the zombieman re-instated

* Spurting blood for when enemies choke no longer makes splash sound, it was too noisy

* Flying shrapnel from a barrel exploding would sometimes "stick" in the air, hopefully the problem is now resolved

* Corrected a code error with the barrel explosion sequence. Wish EDGE would tell me these things.

* The BFG now has a separate firing sound, an added idling sound and a looping sound for when the projectile is in flight.

* Keycards are now slightly lit, so they can be seen in the dark

* Torture victims were moaning a little too often, corrected

* The imp claw (player weapon) is now affected by the berserk power-up along with some adjustments to its clawing attack

The BFG charge loops forever without killing (as I expected, probably due to the sound). Also the sound goes quiet whilst charging this long.

Jayextee said:

The BFG charge loops forever without killing (as I expected, probably due to the sound). Also the sound goes quiet whilst charging this long.

Huh?

The BFG has an idle sound that play endlessly, even when firing and a charge-up sound that plays until it stops if the fire button is held down. Otherwise interrupted by the firing sound.

MegaTurtleRex said:

Ok this is really good. What I like about it is that it still feels like I am playing vanilla Doom in terms of balance and pacing. I think you've kept the gore just at the right level and I also love the reaction of enemies hit by the plasma rifle.

Thank you, that was my goal :-)

MegaTurtleRex said:

- Replace the floating Heretic vials. They do look good but it feels really weird having a Heretic item in Doom and makes the mod feel less polished imo.

Done, next update

MegaTurtleRex said:

- Remove the pump animation when switching to the standard shotgun. It's really annoying switching to the shotgun and having Doomguy waste time ejecting or prepping a shell.

It can be interrupted if the fire button is held down when selecting the weapon.

MegaTurtleRex said:

- Remove the star effects around the Soul Sphere, It's a really iconic powerup and looks good by default anyway.

No, sorry. It gives the items an otherworldly and magical appearance which is the whole idea. Besides, I like the effect.

MegaTurtleRex said:

- Remove the Imp holding his guts death animation. Probably just me but I always disliked that one.

Again, no, sorry. It's incredible gruesome, yes, but I like it. You can easily end their suffering if you wish by kicking or shooting them.

MegaTurtleRex said:

- The letter E seems to be hard bound to alternate attack, I've tried remapping it for 'use item' but it still causes Doomguy to attack. Not a big deal but I think most people are used to E for open and close? I guess Spacebar is the true Doom way though :3

You should be able to bound the keys however you want, I have alternate attack on X and M.

I've never discovered EDGE before and with this little modification, its excellent. going to try it right now.

http://doomwiki.org/wiki/EDGE

EDIT:

What I hope is to be the last and final update

http://www.mediafire.com/?1o8v62lo5asgg21

* Made some small adjustments to some items and power-ups, they don't hover as high from the ground anymore

* Removed some unused resources from the WAD

* Plasma Rifle: Amount of shots before overheating increased from 20 to 40

* Plasma Rifle: Firing frames are now bright

* Some sound entries renamed back to their replacement counterpart, for convenience and compatibility

* More unused or otherwise not needed resources removed

* Some fine tuning made to the glitter/shimmer effect

* Volume of the torch looping sound increased, it was a little too low

* The zombieman and sergeant would enter their choking death a little too often, their "xdeaths" have now been balanced out better along with the Imps

* Made some additional changes to the lost soul

Also, I would like to point out that this has been tested and working with the following:

Ultimate DOOM
DOOM II: Hell on Earth
Final DOOM: TNT Evolution
Final DOOM: Plutonia Experiment
DOOM the Way id Did
DOOM II the Way id Did
DOOM the Way id Did - The Lost Episodes
Brutalized DOOM & DOOM 2 levels
Requiem
Memento Mori
Memento Mori 2
BF_Thud!.wad
Path of a Fallen Angel
Invaders

This is absolutely fantastic! It nicely updates the original games without changing the overall aesthetic or feel, which is remarkable in comparison to Brutal Doom. Brutal just takes me as far from DOOM as it possibly can.

Anyways, this is looking good. Nicely polished, great sound effects, and as someone said prior, makes good use of existing sprites/artwork without coming off as a knockoff.

The HUD looks great as well - I would like to include it (sans the new FACE image) as the default 3DGE HUD in new releases, with your permission. It just works THAT much better than the normal HUD that 3DGE has included since 1.31. Just let me know if that will be okay with you.

Chu said:

This is absolutely fantastic! It nicely updates the original games without changing the overall aesthetic or feel, which is remarkable in comparison to Brutal Doom. Brutal just takes me as far from DOOM as it possibly can.

Anyways, this is looking good. Nicely polished, great sound effects, and as someone said prior, makes good use of existing sprites/artwork without coming off as a knockoff.

Thank you very much, glad you like it.

Chu said:
The HUD looks great as well - I would like to include it (sans the new FACE image) as the default 3DGE HUD in new releases, with your permission. It just works THAT much better than the normal HUD that 3DGE has included since 1.31. Just let me know if that will be okay with you.

Well, the new face wasn't drawn by me but based on the original, and the fonts are the same old classic ones from DOOM. So, sure.

Interestingly, there is a bug with the face in Vanilla EDGE where it won't turn to one side. It's just a code error really. Might have been fixed in 3DGE.

Some minor touch-ups

http://www.mediafire.com/download/wikmoix41a6ty8j/Doom4ever16.zip

* Reduced the volume of the strobe light sound effect

* Enemies now have a greater chance of being gibbed when killed by explosives (rockets and barrels)

* The barrel now has its own unique obituary message for when players are killed by it

* The Spider Mastermind now has its own unique walking sound

* New blood drip, as spawned by hanging bodies

New update!

* Changed the grammatically incorrect "Picked up a armour bonus." to the corrected "Picked up an armour bonus."
* Replaced some sound effects including firing sounds for the pistol, shotgun and chaingun
* Further reduced the volume of the sound used in strobe sectors (via code)
* Pause screen/text removed
* Increased the animation speed of the monsters exploding deaths (and player)
* An additional two alternate deaths for the SS Nazi
* Adjusted the amount of swaying/bobbing weapons make when the player is moving
* Cleaned up some DDF code
* Made the kick and shotgun pumping animations a little smoother

Download: http://www.mediafire.com/download/33z5satiuykic6b/Doom4ever17.zip

Updated again (04/27) and this probably won't be the last time.

* Knuckle crack animation (a la DUKE NUKEM 3D) upon start of a game
* Knuckle crack used as a random idle animation for the fists
* New weapon: The MP40, dropped by the SS Nazi. It's less accurate and not as powerful as the Chaingun
* Lamp Amp Visor replaced with Night-Vision. I like it better because it won't strip DOOM of its dark and foreboding atmosphere.
If anything, it'll only enhance the atmosphere and tension. Includes HUD graphic for when it's active and new pickup sprites.
* Minor adjustments to the HUD
* Removed even more unused and left-over resources from the PWAD
* Idle animation for the pistol
* New sprite replacing the box of rockets
* The Super Shotgun is no longer accessible in DOOM 1 levels. The same thing goes for the MP40.
* More detailed and convincing flames for the black candle and candelabra
* New enemy: The dog. It's just there for Boom/MBF compatibility, thing number 888. Includes attack and pain frames with rotation.
* Monsters now have their respective EDGE stealth counterpart, thing number 4050 through 4061.
* Some new sound effects for the Chainsaw.

Download: http://www.mediafire.com/download/s4wzf01v0dgtzsq/Doom4ever18.zip

Really like this mod. A little cartoon-y for my blood, but that's alright. Needs to be ported to GZDOOM :P