Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Reisal

Doom Map: Ultratower

Something to climb, being called the Tower of Babel so I made it more literal. It's not a cakewalk to get to the top so you'll expect some resistance.

/Idgames/ link active!

Download link

Pretty decent, wouldn't feel too out of place in the early commercial releases. If you wanted to spruce things up, maybe have the Cyberdemon occasionally teleport in while you're climbing the stairs and teleport back out, just to add some more danger and suspense.

E2M8: Tower of Babel (Mr. Chris Edition)

Now that's what I call a tower!

Death Count: 0

(Done from pistol start on HMP)

As tough as the map looked (especially with the tower itself looming like a massive middle finger to my confidence), I didn't have too much trouble. Pretty good if you ask me.

Some Things I Noticed:

1) Sweet Jesus, just look at the place! Enough said. The tower itself is massive, the corridors are hellaciously long, and the elevator to the Cyberdemon fight takes a good 15 seconds or so to finish descending/ascending. Foreboding at its finest.

2) I don't think I'm that well equipped yet... Shotguns and chainguns + Barons and Cacos = the want to run for my life. Thankfully I did get a rocket launcher at the final ambush before the Cyber fight, but some of the situations I had to tough out with the trusty shotgun/chaingun combo were enough to tempt me to run like all hell was behind me (which it was)!

A decent little map I thought. Not really hard or anything, at least I didn't think it was. The only problem I really had with this level was that it was over too soon :)

A Tower of Babel remake with 3D floors and an outdoor area showing the full tower would be great.

Nice map, totally makes sense as the Tower of Babel. I like it. Admirations to you for making the one secret and to everyone who's crazy enough to find it. :p

Those doors are designed to slow down gameplay and not just speed past every encounter to the top in about a minute.

Obviously you want doors to force fights, but 30 second doors bug me because that's rarely the right length of time. But they're a pet peeve of mine so I guess I'm biased, most people probably don't care.

Mr. Chris said:

Those doors are designed to slow down gameplay and not just speed past every encounter to the top in about a minute.

Well if that's their intention, would it be better for them to rise up from the floor? That way you wouldn't be able to skip them. Also they could start off not closed for long and progressively get a little longer as maybe an indication of how long each fight should be taking. :D

Very much enjoyed the map, epic long corridors and an awesome elevator up to the boss room gives you time to contemplate just what could be up there. (As if we didn't know being E2M8!)

The problem setting it to raising floors is if this is played on co-op and one or both die on the inside of the bars, they stay indefinitely. I can always double the door bars or set the lines to trigger sooner.

I am also contemplating making "Epic" versions of E1M8 and E3M8.

Nice. A little easy, but definitely a lot closer to what the original should have been (probably would've exploded those old 386 and 486s). I wonder how this would have looked if the tower face had octagonal sides.