Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sokoro

Is anything like "Final DooM The Way id Bought it" in development?

Is anything like "Final DooM The Way id Bought it" in development?
If so, then is it possible to join such project?

I'm just waiting for Nex Credo to be purchased The Way id Did.

Also, why would this happen? There are already two Plutonia fansequels and a TNT: Evilution one in development.

If there are an infinite number of universes with an infinite number of realities, then it's happening in one of them.

Just not this one, unless you count TNT2. And that's full.

Eventually, yes!

Jayextee said:

Also, why would this happen? There are already two Plutonia fansequels and a TNT: Evilution one in development.

None of those are designed to the original iwads' specifications, though. Along similar lines, there have been other Doom 2 remakes, but D2TWID has a different take on the idea.

Ah, my bad.

So is Plutonia The Way I Don't Even Know How You're Titling It just going to be two mappers? ;)

If you would like to try and make a 1996 map in your own style for Evilution the way TNT did, you can send me a PM. In order to emulate the hodgepodge that is TNT we will be included community maps made in the style of 1996 instead of trying to emulate people who only ever made 1 map.

Doom 64 The Way Id Would gives me a bit of a stiffy, people

Tarnsman said:

instead of trying to emulate people who only ever made 1 map.

As if somebody won't make a Christopher Buteau map.

Spoiler

as if it won't be me making it

I'm eagerly awaiting Plutonia The Way The Casalis Did It. I'm also hoping to join when the time comes. It will most certainly be the best mapset since SoD (imo).

an_mutt said:

As if somebody won't make a Christopher Buteau map.

He made TWO maps :P

How far would this go? If we're delving into stuff that id didn't even make themselves, you'd be going off doing all sorts of expansions. Would it be appropriate to then attempt No Rest For The Living The Way Nerve Did?

an_mutt said:

Doom 64 The Way Id Would gives me a bit of a stiffy, people

I don't know how you'd honestly do that project without defining a few things. Since Doom 64 was released in 1997, would we be talking the staff of designers at id of that time? Doom 64's visual style is decidedly how id didn't, so there's not much to go on how they would, other than completely differently than Midway.

Doom 64 The Way Midway Did would be kinda neat, though.

Yes, the idea is to do it like iD might have, rather than Midway *did*. We're still working out the details but it's not as nebulous and arbitrary as you might think.

Doom the Way Sandy Did: you have ten weeks to make 19 maps, using a clumsy editor you have never used before and an engine whose capabilities and limits are still mostly unknown to you because you're the new recruit.

Doom the Way Tom Hall Did: create an in-depth design bible that will be mostly ignored and ten maps according to design guidelines created for an engine that is not yet written, and which will be invalidated by the actual specs of the finished engine. Get fired because the maps you've made don't sufficiently show off the features of the engine that didn't exist yet when you started mapping. After getting the boot, look at the game you were the most proud of being symbolically executed in a "super-secret level" of your former friends' next game.

Doom the Way Romero Did: using a map editor you programmed yourself, make seven maps. Add to the engine any feature you might need, for example if you need a new linedef type, feel free to create it. Spend most of your mapping time playtesting the maps in deathmatch mode with the other team members, so that the project advances slowly and needs to be merged with the Doom the Way Sandy Did project in order to reach completion. After release, buy a Ferrari and live like a rockstar.

Gez said:

Doom the Way Tom Hall Did

FUND IT

I would love to see a story-driven WAD with some realistic architecture with AI teammates.

They already did Doom The Way Tom Hall Did. It was called Doom 3. And it sucked sweaty balls.

EDIT: Sandy must have spent most of those weeks building The Citadel. It's certainly big and confusing enough.

Ragnor said:

Pretty sure its already been announced to be a thing in the future. I want a Master Levels project first though.

This.

A complete set of Master Levels style maps gives me huge wood.

Job said:

This.

A complete set of Master Levels style maps gives me huge wood.

Levels in the style of Anderson, Sverre, Willits, Mustaine, Klie and Jim Flynn? Fuck yeah! Seems to not be planned though :{

Thing #1: id didn't do Doom 64. Williams/Midway did, same team that worked on PlayStation Doom. Credit where it's due, folks.

Thing #2: Clearly it should be called Plutonia the Way the Casali Bros. Did (PTWTCBD).

Thing #1: It's not going to be "Doom 64 the way Midway did", it's going to be "Doom 64 the way id would have done had id done Doom 64 and not Midway" (aka Doom 64 levels if Sandy/Romero/McGee/Willits made them)

Thing #2: Final Doom the way id did will be: Evilution the way TNT did and Plutonia the way the Casalis did.