Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sokoro

Is anything like "Final DooM The Way id Bought it" in development?

Given that the stated goal is to make Doom 64 the way Romero, Petersen, & co would have done, and not PC Doom the way Midway would have done, targeting Doom64 EX is the only sane possibility.

MajorRawne said:

They already did Doom The Way Tom Hall Did. It was called Doom 3. And it sucked sweaty balls.

Except it ruled.

Doom 3 was not the way Tom Hall wanted Doom to be. Probably the closest example of "Tom Hall's Doom" would be Doom 2 RPG, as it featured multiple playable characters with differing abilities, and interconnected levels that you could travel back and forth between (albeit not in a particularly meaningful way in D2RPG). The holy water pistol was even similar to the Doom Bible's Unmaker weapon, in how it was effective against demons but harmless against former humans.

D2RPG's corny jokes probably weren't too far off the mark for what Tom Hall would've included, too.

I must join in one of these projects!

I would especially like to be part of either the TNT or Master Levels portion, although it would be fun (but fruitless) to try and replicate the style of Plutonia.

I'll gladly join along, as either a mapper, or even simply a level tester.

MajorRawne said:

They already did Doom The Way Tom Hall Did. It was called Doom 3. And it sucked sweaty balls.

In our WXR Interview with Tom Hall we asked him for his opinion on Doom 3, which he initially thought was a game that was faithful to the things he wanted to be in Doom in the first place. He said Doom 3 was amazing for the first 10 minutes.

These are some of my problems with Doom 3.

1. It was boring due to extreme repetition in the maps. Yes, it was consistent, but we came from Against Thee Wickedly and Threshold of Pain to Alpha Labs, Monorail and Unidentified. So it looked and sounded boring.

2. The character was slow. Perhaps he'd had a hip replacement after closing the Gateway of Hell.

3. The hell portion was crammed right near the end and lasted about 10 minutes.

4. Gameplay was sluggish and uninspired.

5. The weapons were crap: looked crap, sounded crap. The shotgun was nowhere near as satisfying to use.

6. The storyline was a cross between some CoD clone and Resident Evil.

These might seem facile but I cannot make a post long enough to slate this disappointment. The fact that Doom fans remade it in the classic style says something.

i don't see what was so great about tom hall's doom bible. granted, he wanted to give the game depth, but in the end it would have turned out as every game is today: it must have a story, it must have characters, it must have a load of stuff you will barely use. so one plays these games once or twice and that's about it. doom is still played today, 20 years later, and i'm glad it became the action shooter we love and not whatever tom hall thought it should be.

as for doom 3, it's a good game, but monster closets and doors with imps ready to pounce behind are a bit repetitive.

Gez said:

Given that the stated goal is to make Doom 64 the way Romero, Petersen, & co would have done, and not PC Doom the way Midway would have done, targeting Doom64 EX is the only sane possibility.

The very concept is unsound. Assuming that id isn't supposed to be in the role of a third party here, Doom 64 already takes a completely different approach in atmosphere, sound design, art direction, etc. If id built Doom 64 from the ground up, it would end up absolutely nothing like Doom 64.

But id didn't do Final Doom, merely bought it from a third party. Perhaps "the way id bought it" doesn't roll off the tongue as easily, but it is more accurate.

Sodaholic said:

The very concept is unsound.

Uh, I think it makes a lot of sense, assuming we're just talkin' about Doom 64 maps with Doom II level design.

As far as I'm concerned, if id did do Doom 64, it'd be the Jaguar maps all over again. They never really wanted to do anything more with Doom after Doom 2.

Midway had their own mapping styles just waiting to be analysed and ripped apart though.

kmxexii said:

Uh, I think it makes a lot of sense, assuming we're just talkin' about Doom 64 maps with Doom II level design.

That alone would make for a nice project, and I welcome more Doom 64 levels. All I'm saying is that calling it "the way id would have done" is a bit of a misnomer, unless they're in the role of a third party submitting maps while not taking creative control over the base game itself. Which I guess is what's being discussed here, but I'm just taking names too seriously. :P

Sodaholic said:

But id didn't do Final Doom, merely bought it from a third party. Perhaps "the way id bought it" doesn't roll off the tongue as easily, but it is more accurate.

I agree, actually even further still: "TeamTNT" is not an entity in and of itself capable of creating maps, thus the project in production should be titled "Evilution the Way [every author that participated in the project; forgive me for not looking them up right this moment] Did."