Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dragonsbrethren

PSX Doom: The Lost Levels - New Pre-Beta Available courtesy of Salahmander2

If there is a follow-up project to create new levels based on the PSX style, I'm in. I know what I'm doing now :D

EDIT: No I don't. How do I add Nightmare Spectres into maps? I'm using the PSX Doom2.0 pk3.

Ah, the daily grind.

As you know, The Spirit World's red skull is contained behind a door which requires a yellow skull. When you grab it, the walls open up, releasing a multitude of Knights.
-The room where they are "hiding" in is oddly brighter (and of another colour) than the triangular space where red skull is in. Not a big one, but it looks a bit off.

The PC version of The Living End is only a little darker than the former map, but the LL version is a lot darker.
-Perhaps dim the lighting of the Spirit World a little to match the Living End, since they're right after one another?

I haven't played the Master levels prior to this. Didn't like them one bit (but they were well converted, especially Titan Manor).

Power Control
I can't say it better than

Major Rawne, a true poet:

"There is a moonless midnight; there is the blackness of a whore's heart; there is the lightless, stygian depths wherein the blind god Azatoth writhes to the sound of daemon flutes; then there's Power Control."

-I recommend keeping most of the darkness, though. Just brighten up some choice sectors (most notably those that are supposed to look like they're coming from the floor lamps), and we can have a cool contrasting light/dark theme going on, like "the Focus" in PC DooM II.

MajorRawne said:

EDIT: No I don't. How do I add Nightmare Spectres into maps? I'm using the PSX Doom2.0 pk3.

When selecting thing type, there should be a folder called "Decorate" at the very bottom, it's in there.

I've just got the standard list of things. The "Decoration" section is at the bottom, but there's no Nightmare Spectre.

The resources I'm using are doom2.wad and psxdoom2.0.pk3.

Also, I don't know how to use command prompt programs on Windows 7, so I am not sure I'll be able to do the UDMF conversion thingy?

MajorRawne said:

The resources I'm using are doom2.wad and psxdoom2.0.pk3.

Which format are you mapping for? IIRC anything that's not a ZDoom-specific format (or UDMF) will cause DB2 to ignore ZDoom-specific content such as DECORATE lumps and whatnot.

Cheers Baron, I was mapping in Doom 2 format, I'll check this afternoon. The level is more or less finished, I just need to drop brightness levels slightly, add Nightmare Spectres and remove several dozen medikits (I'm converting a map from 1994).

I'm assuming the Lost Levels crew weren't correcting texture offsets etc, but simply changing the textures to PSX style?

EDIT: Everyone should try changing a map to PSX style. it's relatively easy, it looks good and it's a lot of fun, if occasionally finicky. (FUCK those 500-tall lifts and staircases.)

MajorRawne said:

I'm assuming the Lost Levels crew weren't correcting texture offsets etc, but simply changing the textures to PSX style?

I frequently corrected offsets, although this was admittedly more out of habit than a conscious decision.

Right, it makes sense to correct mis-alignments to be honest, no sense in copying another person's mistakes or oversights, so I'll do that.

Can anoyone tell me how to go about converting it to UDMF etc so I can get on with the coloured lighting?

First post has download links and stuff. You'll have to convert to Hexen format first though; directly converting to UDMF from Doom format will keep the linedef function numbers the same, breaking everything in the process.

So THATS why my attempt to partially PSXise Betray years ago failed miserably! I did just that, broke everything, had no idea how to redo all the tags. (Had it all looking pretty in the editor though, the second time I ever made something look nice!)

I know I've been told a couple of times how to map in the PSX style, but for everyone else's benefit (and for proliferating more of these levels), I think that a FAQ or walk through would be nice. First person who makes a coherent one gets my nomination for the next Caco Award.

BaronOfStuff said:

It's all in the first post!

Then you've got my nomination, Baron! :)

The Nightmare Spectre is thing type 3000. I forget if I ever got it selectable in DB2 properly or not, but you can just insert another thing and change the type value yourself.

It's hitbox is not displayed correctly, just keep in mind it's the same size as a normal Demon/Spectre.

Job, Ive got a guide sent to me by Dragonsbrethren that is very easy to follow. I'll PM it to you. It's more user friendly than the first post.

MajorRawne said:

Job, Ive got a guide sent to me by Dragonsbrethren that is very easy to follow. I'll PM it to you. It's more user friendly than the first post.

Much appreciated. I'd really like to start mapping PSX style. Plus, it'll open up a lot of doors for the rest of us to PSXify other maps or just make other multi-map wads.

More suggestions:

The beginning of Metal is like Power Control; pitch black. Much like that one, the darkness can be kept IF it is broken up by a few bright sectors. Stronghold is certainly 'PSXified', but much of it is jarringly bright (main corridor, for example), and it clashes with some of the suddenly dark rooms. This seems to be an issue with several maps, and I think someone really should look over all the Lost Levels in order to keep the lightning consistent throughout the WAD.

For a mod that mixes the Lost levels in with the original episode the level order will obviously just follow the PC level order, however there are a few differences that need to get sorted out.

Is Forsaken Keep before or after Hell Keep?
Witch ones is Slough of Despair after, or is it just before Pandemonium what ever the case?
Is DIS after of before Tower of Babel or is it after Threshold of Pain?

Or are the levels rearranged back to there PC order? In which case
Is Tower of Babel before or after Hell Gate?

I recon the Master Levels should just follow the PS3 order.

What do use all think?

*E2 maps* -> Tower of Babel -> Hell Gate -> Hell Keep -> Forsaken Keep -> Slough of Despair -> *rest of E3 maps* -> Dis -> Perfect Hatred -> *E4 maps -> Twilight Descends -> Threshold of Pain -> Doom 2

I always liked the Hell Gate to Hell Keep combo, felt like you were passing through to Hell.

Master Levels should indeed use the PS3 ordering, its the most coherent official order ever done, if not, do them by author. Each author had harder levels than the next, starting with Willits, culminating in Sverre.

Huh, I thought we were keeping the lost levels separate from the main psx doom maps while still in the same mod.

It is, this is for the customiser that will allow us crazies to play all the levels in the biggest wad ever to exist :D

It should also be invaluable for testing purposes, seeing the user made levels side by side with the official ones

what about this master level order, its a mash of PSX and PS3 order,

LEVEL 61: ATTACK
LEVEL 62: VIRGIL
LEVEL 63: CANYON
LEVEL 64: COMBINE
LEVEL 65: CATWALK
LEVEL 66: FISTULA
LOST13: The Garrison
LOST14: Titan Manor
LEVEL 67: GERYON
LEVEL 68: MINOS
LOST16: Bloodsea Keep
LOST17: Mephisto's Maosoleum
LEVEL 69: NESSUS
LEVEL 70: PARADOX
LEVEL 71: SUBSPACE
LEVEL 72: SUBTERRA
LOST15: Trapped on Titan
LEVEL 73: VESPERAS
LOST18: Black Tower
LOST19: The Express Elevator to Hell

Or rearrange to match ps3 completely:

LEVEL 61: ATTACK
LEVEL 63: CANYON
LEVEL 65: CATWALK
LEVEL 64: COMBINE
LEVEL 66: FISTULA
LOST13: The Garrison
LOST14: Titan Manor
LEVEL 70: PARADOX
LEVEL 71: SUBSPACE
LEVEL 72: SUBTERRA
LOST15: Trapped on Titan
LEVEL 62: VIRGIL
LEVEL 68: MINOS
LOST16: Bloodsea Keep
LOST17: Mephisto's Maosoleum
LEVEL 69: NESSUS
LEVEL 67: GERYON
LEVEL 73: VESPERAS
LOST18: Black Tower
LOST19: The Express Elevator to Hell

One thing I dont like about the PS3 ordering is that Vergil and such is so late. Its one of the smaller easier maps and comes after the gargantuan Flynn maps

I'm currently project-hopping between bits of this, bits of D64inDII, some Zandronum thing I've been working on for years, and wasting my time spending dozens of productive hours on other games.

Yeah, it has been a while since anything's been posted. Here's a new pre-beta:

Pre-beta 3

This has MajorRawne's music suggestions implemented, updates to my maps, and...honestly I can't remember anymore. There are other submitted fixes, but it's been so long I've forgotten what they are, sorry!