Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tristan

Doom 2 In Name Only - Now (supsiciously) on a load of gaming articles

From a personal preference, I feel the ceiling lights don't really add anything to the room anyway, they could probably just disappear altogether. Then it is definitely safe within limits.

Cell said:

Speaking of MAP18, I love the music choice for that level.

I on the other hand utterly despise it (unless your love is ironic, then it isn't the other hand). It sounds like something from a sonic game and as far from appropriate for doom as it could possibly get.

Cell said:

Speaking of MAP18, I love the music choice for that level.

heh, can't say I agree, but each to their own.

Here is map 18 again with a couple more tweaks, hopefully this should keep it safe:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/4kcq034quf2i64z/d2ino-18-feb26.wad

cannonball said:

From a personal preference, I feel the ceiling lights don't really add anything to the room anyway, they could probably just disappear altogether. Then it is definitely safe within limits.

yeah they are a bit of overkill with the wall lamp textures as well, its no wonder that map is 160 brightness in the shade.

Spirit world has a sky tiling problem in that one place where brick meets red'n'black (in a crack that goes all the way through a wall vertically).

Antroid said:

Spirit world has a sky tiling problem in that one place where brick meets red'n'black (in a crack that goes all the way through a wall vertically).

Yeah thats the bit i was hoping to get away with, but it plays on my conscience. The idea was that it is a crack in reality where the forces of good and evil collide and break time and space or something. I think I will fix it though cos it just looks ugly.

It's cool but the sky tiling still spoils it.

Also, almost forgot, I wanted to make sure, was anything done about map09's mudfalls? Eris said all the other liquidfalls animate and all the maps use the first frame and I'm not sure what to draw from that. Are mudfalls broken? Are mudfalls in map09 magically broken?

Edit: just checked on map20 and mudfalls don't animate there either, they appear to be broken across the wad. What's up?

Edit2: the music in map34 doesn't play.

P.s. new temporarily favorite map: inmost dens.

Mudfall problem can be fixed by me renaming the textures back to BLODGRx. I changed them while trying to get the textures working properly. I'll get around to that today.
MAP34 music involves some DeHackEd work I believe, so if anyone who knows how wants to modify their DEH to include it here and put it here too, please do :D

Fellowzdoomer said:

I think map34 is the intro screen, 33 is the "cinema" scene and 35 is intermission.

Well, zdoom just plain didn't play anything on it for me... I guess GJ zdoom?

If we can't get it to work with the specific custom music, I say move it to whichever slot plays the text intermission music (is that "cinema" or "intermission"?), and make a MAPINFO for zdoom to also play that music in there. At least Eris' long-ass track might get some real appreciation that way.

Okay so my vote is for moving chasm2 to map33. Would be more sensible without a gap between maps (although who gives a shit), and would apparently play Eris' music (don't forget to add a mapinfo for zdoom though).

Antroid said:

Well, zdoom just plain didn't play anything on it for me... I guess GJ zdoom?

If we can't get it to work with the specific custom music, I say move it to whichever slot plays the text intermission music (is that "cinema" or "intermission"?), and make a MAPINFO for zdoom to also play that music in there. At least Eris' long-ass track might get some real appreciation that way.

That would be 33 I believe. Betray always uses the story text music, since its always map 33.

Eris will use that track for a full level someday so it'll get its full appreciation regardless :p

Well, if we can't get a separate music track to play on any of those slots, at least 33 would be the best variant of the three with the music track most fitting for a level.

This project is vanilla compatible. Whatever we do for zdoom should be set to work the same way vanilla would, otherwise we'll have different experience in different ports. I proposed a mapinfo lump earlier, but it would only make sense to add it to enforce what zdoom can't do on it's own for some reason: play the music track that plays on those slots in the other ports, apparently. Having different music playing in different ports would be kinda shitty.

Lol 1monster MAP11
But there was a MAPINFO in the Alpha, to stop people jumping in ZDoom. Unfortunately it didn't work, and I was too lazy when compiling Beta I to write definitions for all maps. I'll add one in eventually, but can't the music be changed in DeHackEd? I don't think my story music would fit Joseph's map

You wouldn't need to add definitions to all maps. Only map33 for the music, and if you want to do the no-jumping no-crouching thing (which has my full support), just do a "defaultmap" for it or whatever that was that defined properties for all maps at once.

defaultmap
{
	nojump 
	nocrouch
	maybe some compat flags? dunno if people do that
}

map map33 "Lost Chasm"
{
	music = whatever that music's called
}
Wouldn't that be enough?

Music names cannot be changed with DeHackEd, period. I'm totally wrong! Oops. Still won't help you exactly.

Here's a TEXTURE1 lump that should fix the mudfalls. No other changes to the maps should be needed. Be aware that I've only tested it briefly in MAP09.

https://www.mediafire.com/?vj4rmd4pw4cyl5w

defaultmap seems to only affect the maps defined in MAPINFO. Last time, I found I could jump in every map except the extra 3 maps, because they required the MAPINFO lump for level names and music.

@Plums: Thanks, I'll take a look at it

EDIT: Most Visplanes I could find on MAP18 was very quickly oscillating 128 and 129. From what I could tell on Tarnsman's visplane explanation, getting rid of that glowing light marking the self-building staircase would hold it at 128, and getting rid of the light effect from those ceiling lights would bring it to 125. Would anyone notice if the lights weren't working? :P
I also like how the most controversial issue on this project is the ROTT track :D

EDIT2: I stopped the staircase light glowing. Max visplanes seems to be 122, oddly.

Eris Falling said:

defaultmap seems to only affect the maps defined in MAPINFO. Last time, I found I could jump in every map except the extra 3 maps, because they required the MAPINFO lump for level names and music.

That's a strange peculiarity. Nevertheless, you wouldn't really need to define anything about the maps, maybe just have a "map mapxx mapname { }" thing for each map? If it works like that it should maybe help. Doesn't sound like it's too tedious to do. You could even just copypaste the nojump nocrouch into each map's definition if that doesn't work, I'm pretty sure you don't have to do all the music, sky, nextmap and whatnot definitions since they're already there anyway.

Antroid said:

I'm pretty sure you don't have to do all the music, sky, nextmap and whatnot definitions since they're already there anyway.

I am afraid that you have to, if you want to globally forbid jumping and crouching.

Should work, I'll try it later.

Also, we all love barrels, but I think there's just too many in MAP23. Not a gameplay complaint, but I've already found two sprite overflows in nomonsters (So I dread to think how bad this is when there's lost souls and projectiles and other stuff present). We're not just talking about regions of like 8x8 where the overflows occur, it's incredibly easy to break the limit just by moving around normally.

@scifista: Actually I don't think you have to. NoJump and NoCrouch are individual properties of a map, just like the nextmap sky1 and music properties. At worst, I'll have to do

map MAP01 "ENTRYWAY"
{
     NoJump
     NoCrouch
}
over and over again

There's a default MAPINFO for Doom 2 (and all other games) in zdoom.pk3/mapinfo which might save you some time.

Eris Falling said:

but can't the music be changed in DeHackEd? I don't think my story music would fit Joseph's map

Doom uses an array of music names. Here is that array:

musicinfo_t S_music[] =
{
    { 0 },
    { "e1m1", 0 },
    { "e1m2", 0 },
    { "e1m3", 0 },
    { "e1m4", 0 },
    { "e1m5", 0 },
    { "e1m6", 0 },
    { "e1m7", 0 },
    { "e1m8", 0 },
    { "e1m9", 0 },
    { "e2m1", 0 },
    { "e2m2", 0 },
    { "e2m3", 0 },
    { "e2m4", 0 },
    { "e2m5", 0 },
    { "e2m6", 0 },
    { "e2m7", 0 },
    { "e2m8", 0 },
    { "e2m9", 0 },
    { "e3m1", 0 },
    { "e3m2", 0 },
    { "e3m3", 0 },
    { "e3m4", 0 },
    { "e3m5", 0 },
    { "e3m6", 0 },
    { "e3m7", 0 },
    { "e3m8", 0 },
    { "e3m9", 0 },
    { "inter", 0 },
    { "intro", 0 },
    { "bunny", 0 },
    { "victor", 0 },
    { "introa", 0 },
    { "runnin", 0 },
    { "stalks", 0 },
    { "countd", 0 },
    { "betwee", 0 },
    { "doom", 0 },
    { "the_da", 0 },
    { "shawn", 0 },
    { "ddtblu", 0 },
    { "in_cit", 0 },
    { "dead", 0 },
    { "stlks2", 0 },
    { "theda2", 0 },
    { "doom2", 0 },
    { "ddtbl2", 0 },
    { "runni2", 0 },
    { "dead2", 0 },
    { "stlks3", 0 },
    { "romero", 0 },
    { "shawn2", 0 },
    { "messag", 0 },
    { "count2", 0 },
    { "ddtbl3", 0 },
    { "ampie", 0 },
    { "theda3", 0 },
    { "adrian", 0 },
    { "messg2", 0 },
    { "romer2", 0 },
    { "tense", 0 },
    { "shawn3", 0 },
    { "openin", 0 },
    { "evil", 0 },
    { "ultima", 0 },
    { "read_m", 0 },
    { "dm2ttl", 0 },
    { "dm2int", 0 } 
};
There is also a corresponding enum. So when you see mus_runnin in the code, you know it's the index position of "runnin" in the music array.

Then to associate map levels with music, Doom uses this code:
void S_Start(void)
{
  int cnum;
  int mnum;

// kill all playing sounds at start of level
  //  (trust me - a good idea)
  for (cnum=0 ; cnum<numChannels ; cnum++)
    if (channels[cnum].sfxinfo)
      S_StopChannel(cnum);

// start new music for the level
  mus_paused = 0;

if (gamemode == commercial)
    mnum = mus_runnin + gamemap - 1;
  else
  {
    int spmus[]=
    {
      // Song - Who? - Where?

mus_e3m4,	// American	e4m1
      mus_e3m2,	// Romero	e4m2
      mus_e3m3,	// Shawn	e4m3
      mus_e1m5,	// American	e4m4
      mus_e2m7,	// Tim 	e4m5
      mus_e2m4,	// Romero	e4m6
      mus_e2m6,	// J.Anderson	e4m7 CHIRON.WAD
      mus_e2m5,	// Shawn	e4m8
      mus_e1m9	// Tim		e4m9
    };

if (gameepisode < 4)
      mnum = mus_e1m1 + (gameepisode-1)*9 + gamemap-1;
    else
      mnum = spmus[gamemap-1];
    }	

// HACK FOR COMMERCIAL
  //  if (commercial && mnum > mus_e3m9)	
  //      mnum -= mus_e3m9;

S_ChangeMusic(mnum, true);

nextcleanup = 15;
}	
With dehacked, you can change the names of the songs listed in the array. So you could replace "read_m" by "romero" for example, and then the MAP18 song would play during all text screens.

The use of this array is what allows MAP33 to MAP35 to have music, since you'll overflow from the "map song area" into the non-map music area at the end.

Just think: if they had listed the Doom II songs before the Doom 1 songs, then you could have had 35 additional levels to a Doom II megawad. Up to MAP67!

I have a couple things to say about the catacombs. First, Eris, could you edit the music to be louder? It's completely disproportionally quiet compared to most other tracks and I think it'd be better if it was at least somewhat heard.
Then there was this door opened by a switch next to a bunch of blue bars, that one had upper unpegged and looked strange. And when you go through and see that hole, when you approach the hole you can see the sky tiling also - the lower pixels of the mountains. I would suggest just making it another 8 or so units deeper.
Then the ceiling above those green coffins is brighter than the other sectors - if you can afford it I suggest raising the ceiling of those sectors by, like, 1024 or 512.
And the mancubus cage near a mastermind also has some weird light level thing on it's sector: different from the light level outside and inside.
Other than that, it's such a cool level! Could stand to be like 4 times longer though.

Oh, also there's a lighting bug above the stairs right near the start of map02. I assume the aim was to not have a light gradient on the ceiling by raising some sectors, but the last one wasn't raised so it looks really buggy. And the wall above the stairs is lit up illogically (the light is supposed to be spilling from behind it) because of it all. This is definitely possible to fix, look at map29 for example in the lava area the building (one of the two through which you can enter it) with a caged-in balcony has light coming in from outside, but only on the floor. With sufficient care monsters are even able to pass that trickery and not get stuck (the lowered sectors on the floor have to be -24 from the surrounding area and not deeper).

p.s. eris you aren't reuploading fast enough, the current version from the op doesn't have the fixed map28 for example.

I've tried playing map 07 on a few different ports and haven't managed to recreate the bug a couple of people reported where the 667 tag wasn't working.

I can only guess there would be an arachnotron still alive somewhere so if anyone gets this bug it would be handy if they could idclip around the map to see if they can find it. It would either be stuck in a teleport room or resurrected by a stray archvile maybe..

Also on map27 in the beginning that 'door' that is opened with a shootable switch doesn't have lower unpegged - if you run immidiately to the opening door there's bits of wall rising up.

And some of the corpses in the corridor behind that door are blocking.

Edit: and then there's this. Actually, there seems to be a lot of vertical misalignment. Someone should do a clean-up.

Edit2: and a flat wall visual bug with the green marble building in the huge lava area, on the left of it.

Edit3: and this grate is one-side and passable, and the other way to get here actually isn't possible to cross, and I think there's some bonus in there. Dang, this level really needs a visual clear-up! Joseph, you willing to do it? I could always do it, I'm fairly observant with this shit and could fix these bugs across the level.

Edit4: aaaand there's sky tiling after that cyberdemon in a corridor.
And at the exit hole too.