Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MajorRawne

The Doomworld ghost thread

In tribute to Harold Ramis, and because the girls on my team at work told me some properly scary stories today, is there anyone here who has had a real experience of the supernatural or preturnatural? Ghosts, UFOs, lake monsters, that kind of thing?

My friend Laura told me about three of her friends who were convoying home at night in two cars along remote country lanes near Stocksbridge in South Yorkshire (near the scene of some frightening ghost stories).

They never saw anything unusual, but they experienced a kind of weird "bump" as if their cars had gone down a dip they hadn't seen. Both cars died. One of the drivers said he seemed to suddenly "wake up" as if he'd dozed off for a moment and both drivers were able to restart their cars immediately. The bloke in the first car looked at the clock and said it was an hour later - he'd checked it only a few moments ago (from his perspective).

While two of the people involved found the episode confusing and disturbing, one of them - the one who'd been driving alone - changed after this experience. He became introverted, withdrawn and fearful. He has always said that "something" had happened but he didn't know what. To this day he refuses to speculate, or even tell the story. He has never sought any kind of help for it.

*Outer Limits theme plays*

MajorRawne said:

So you've been able to conclusively prove that none of it is real?

And why is the burden of proof shifted onto me, exactly?

Regardless, I haven't experienced any supernatural phenomenon, so I've come to the conclusion that it doesn't exist.

That sounds less like a ghost story and more like an alien abduction story. I guess anything supernatural counts, but yeah, sounds like someone got probed.

Myself, I've had two encounters with things that may or may not have been ghosts. Once, while getting ready for school, I heard a train in the distance. Now, this in itself wasn't unusual, as a railroad did pass through the town where I grew up. What was odd was that the sound of the train seemed to be getting louder and louder, until it almost sounded like it was going down our street.

The other encounter happened while me and my sisters were playing upstairs. Upstairs in this house consisted of a single bedroom - the stairs went directly into the bedroom, no hallway or anything. Well, we heard heavy footsteps coming up the stairs, and we thought it was our dad. However, when we glanced down to see who it was, the footsteps stopped and there was no one there. We went back to playing, but then heard the footsteps again. Again we looked, and there was nothing there. This happened a couple more times, before we decided that we would just let the footsteps reach the top. They stopped every time we looked, and when they started, they started back at the bottom. So we made a point of not looking this time, getting steadily more nervous as the footsteps got louder and closer. Finally, just as it got to the top of the stairs, we all freaked out and turned around to look, but once again, there was nothing there. However, with that, the footsteps stopped and we never heard them again.

Oh, and there was that time my dad and I saw a UFO. Heard this low-pitched rumbling sound while helping my grandmother move, but didn't know what it was. Then one of my sisters saw something in the sky, and we looked up to see some sort of craft pass overhead. It looked like an airplane fuselage without wings, and it had red, white, and blue strobe lights on the bottom. As it passed over us, the rumbling sound turned into a high-pitched whine and it flew away.

I recall that when I was younger, I once saw a figure in my kitchen that, upon seeing me, rushed at me while screaming and then abruptly vanished. I still don't really know what that thing could have been.

sometimes, when surfing doomworld, I become enraged. Sometimes, when the moon is high and the hour is nigh, the ghost of Deadnail visits me. He tells me to tolerate not the faggot; onto the furry, he bids destruction. His spirit engorges mine; he speaks words of banishment. Sometimes, my mouth moves, and his speech emergeth.

Verily; Deadnail moves amongst us still.

I still don't understand why people feel like they have to tell us their super-natural experiences. I mean, it's not like people hasn't try to cheat on us before... which, of course, doesn't mean that there aren't honest people who really think they have seen something out of this world... are you convinced? Please, give me some evidence. I want to know.

Never once have I encountered a supernatural force. I have had continuous nightmares however of falling off of some cliff in a desert...

Perhaps it's an omen?! (doubt I will ever be on top of a cliff though)

My friend however is convinced that after seeing this so called "Smile.jpeg" he is now followed around by the horrible spawn of Photoshop. What astounds me is how he has all these stories of hearing dogs follow him around but he never sees them...

The fact that he is also a stoner makes it very hard to believe.

The fact that my sister believes "creepypasta" stories are real is also very unnerving...

It looks like she may be...

gullible.

You see, some people listen/read these ghost stories/urban myths/creppypasta to be shocked, scared or even for fun... I read them because I find them entertainingly pathetic, like a spider caught in the grasp of a dog it tries to continue but all it is now is a pathetic display of shit getting fucked up.

It was some weeks after my dad died, I was talking with my sister ironaycally in how I have not experimented something paranormal or ghosts recently, and then, the curtain of the window move a lot side-to-side, there was no wind or anything, it moved so naturally, we looked to each other and started to laugh.

And one more recent thing, it was like one week ago, I was in my room trying to sleep and then I listened that someone or something knoced on the door 3 times, I woke up and opened the door and there was nobody, looked down stairs, nothing, every other door was closed too, then I said to myself "must be another prank, huh", then, I was about to lay in the bed when it knocked again, I was prepared for this and opened the door as quick as I could and nobody was there, so damn strange.

And yes, I do believe in ghosts, or, well, I call 'ghost' to, for example, things that I've seen moving by themselves or weird sounds like door/window knocking, steps in places of my house that i'm sure noone is there and when something touches or pushes me, that means, things that I don't have a fucking cientific clue for explanation, not that supernatural magic things

MajorRawne said:

Both cars died. One of the drivers said he seemed to suddenly "wake up" as if he'd dozed off for a moment and both drivers were able to restart their cars immediately. The bloke in the first car looked at the clock and said it was an hour later - he'd checked it only a few moments ago (from his perspective).

Most likely abducted by aliens and given a quick anal probe before having their short-term memory wiped.

My only "ghost" experience was with a shitty ex girlfriend who was just playing pranks on me. We jokingly referred to an entity living in her place as Bob and one night she called me into the bathroom where "NOT BOB" was scrawled on the mirror with her lipstick--to which she claimed she wouldn't have done that because it was her favorite lipstick. Some time after that we "discovered" a pad of paper on a table with "ANDREW NOT BOB" practically etched into it in particularly feminine handwriting. Had me going for a while, and although she never admitted guilt, I've become much more skeptical since.

If "ghosts" exist, I am of the strong opinion that it is improbable--nay impossible--that they are manifestations of human "spirits." I do not subscribe to a "substance duality" philosophy; there is nothing empirical to suggest that there is an intangible entity attached to living beings, or what we refer to as a "soul." Everything about us, our thoughts and personality, is linked directly to our material being, manifested by the chemical reactions that occur in our brain mass.

Moreover, if incorporeal, transcendent beings of some other sort that have any kind of interaction with the physical realm DO exist (this goes for ghosts, angels, devils, whatever), we would be able to at the very least detect and measure the influence they have on the physical. We've got "ghost hunters" that claim hot and cold spots, and "electronic voice phenomenon," and camera spots, and all these other grasped straws, but nothing that has ever confirmed under proper scientific scrutiny that any supernatural phenomenon exists. There's a million bucks or more on the line for anyone who can, yet no one is either up to the challenge or can actually satisfy reasonable conditions to meet the challenge.

tl;dr version, no ghosts aren't real and you're naïve if you believe in them.

Technician said:

No, but the NSA an through your web camera.

And that's why you rip it out of your laptop/smash it apart with a sledgehammer.

geekmarine said:
The other encounter happened while me and my sisters were playing upstairs. Upstairs in this house consisted of a single bedroom - the stairs went directly into the bedroom, no hallway or anything. Well, we heard heavy footsteps coming up the stairs, and we thought it was our dad. However, when we glanced down to see who it was, the footsteps stopped and there was no one there.

This story gave me the chills.

When I was a kid, I went through sort of a phase where I was obsessed with ghosts. These days, I'm a bit skeptical, although there are nights when I hear what sounds like somebody's walking up and down the halls even when nobody is around. My sister claims to have heard disembodied sighs, the sound of somebody clearing their throat and the sound of a heavy book being dropped, among other things. She even swears she once felt a hand grab her foot while she was in bed. My dad, who has never been much to believe in spooks, seems reluctant to discuss the subject anymore. One day, he was refurbishing his bathroom when, as he attempted to close the door, the door froze in place as if somebody had wedged their foot between the door and the jamb.

Nomad said:

My only "ghost" experience was with a shitty ex girlfriend who was just playing pranks on me. We jokingly referred to an entity living in her place as Bob and one night she called me into the bathroom where "NOT BOB" was scrawled on the mirror with her lipstick--to which she claimed she wouldn't have done that because it was her favorite lipstick. Some time after that we "discovered" a pad of paper on a table with "ANDREW NOT BOB" practically etched into it in particularly feminine handwriting. Had me going for a while, and although she never admitted guilt, I've become much more skeptical since.

Funny thing about that is, I knew a guy in college named Andrew, but a lot of people knew him as Bob. He was kind of insecure and one of the ways he coped was by constantly inventing fake information about himself so that no one could know for certain what was true. Biggest thing was calling himself Bob, and a lot of people actually believed him when he said his name was Bob.

It's almost infinitely more likely that she (or anyone else in the chain) is lying or severely exaggerating than there is ghosts or aliens at play. Even them having collective delusions is more likely than ghosts. Everybody has a scary story and we are all more likely to accept a scary or threatening story because it has been an advantage for surviving thus far. Most people who read the stories here will become very aware of their surroundings, consciously registering every sound or sight. Our biology "wants" us to accept these stories. Only more the reason to question them.

I've noticed that sometimes people are so convinced nothing supernatural exists it almost seems like a kind of faith - I'd not call this blind faith, since there is no incontrovertible evidence in the supernatural, and it is comparatively rare to encounter the supernatural (assuming everyone who claims to have encountered it is not mistaken or lying).

On the other hand, it sometimes seems to be a case of "I've never seen it so it doesn't exist", which is fine, but I've never experienced problems with my HTC One related to solar storms, nor do I know anyone whose ever been affected by solar storms, so how do I know they really exist? Some scientific mumbo jumbo that I don't understand and haven't personally verified? "I've never seen it so it doesn't exist."

Not sure where this post is going, and I accept that there remains a lack of consistent and clear proof in ghosts and aliens after decades of high-profile investigation... but then again, if this stuff was easily caught and verified, it wouldn't exactly be supernatural, would it?

MajorRawne said:

I've noticed that sometimes people are so convinced nothing supernatural exists it almost seems like a kind of faith

It's not faith, it's the absence of faith. There is a fundamental difference.

I'd not call this blind faith, since there is no incontrovertible evidence in the supernatural, and it is comparatively rare to encounter the supernatural (assuming everyone who claims to have encountered it is not mistaken or lying).

Or actually believe it, but it still not being true.

On the other hand, it sometimes seems to be a case of "I've never seen it so it doesn't exist", which is fine...

While Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence, trivial claims require trivial evidence. If I told you I just had a cup of tea, you would be likely to believe me because it doesn't seem to be outside the realm of the real world. If I told you that I just drove to the moon in my car, alarm bells would be ringing in your head. That doesn't sound very plausible.

You're getting things backwards. If the the extraordinary claim is not followed up by substantial evidence, the default position would be to not believe the claim. Do you believe my moon claim?

Not sure where this post is going, and I accept that there remains a lack of consistent and clear proof in ghosts and aliens after decades of high-profile investigation... but then again, if this stuff was easily caught and verified, it wouldn't exactly be supernatural, would it?

Supernatural is a bogus term. If something exists it exists and if it exists it's natural. So far there has been nothing pointing towards anything that doesn't exist that exists.

My mom and step dad own a lot of houses. They rent them out to crazy people and deadbeats. One house my parents have owned for like 15 years had some loony girl living in it for a year. Eventually she started asking my mom if she's experienced anything weird. Then accused the house of being haunted. I know for a fact the house isn't haunted. I've slept there a lot. My mom knows the house isn't haunted.

Then the crazy renter said oh its because I attract ghosts. wtf? So first you say the house is haunted then you say oh no its you attract ghosts. Sounds like she's the haunted one.

Oh yeah last October my gf took me to the haunted walking tour of Naperville, IL. Loon. The tour guide told 4 or so convincing stories, but the proof wasn't all that proof. Some of the 10-20 years of his research between he and his partner yielded very meh. He had polaroids from other tour walkers. One was a ghost on a porch taken 2 weeks earlier. No.... no it wasn't a fucking fall walking tour has falling leaves that get in the way of your camera for an instant.

He runs it every weekend, probably nets $2,000 per week. Naperville does have a rich history with a turn of the century passenger train crash into another train. Plus paving over graveyards.

It was hilarious going on the walking tour since you're out in the open, people drive by and yell 'suckers' there's one specific house where the tour guide says it is a private residence now don't take pictures. Then walking by the house you hear a bunch of people say 'booooooohhhhhh booooooohhhhh.' One driver by yelled, 'waste of time, waste of money!' Again. Hilarious.

His assistant was some 19 year old read head goth wearing booty shorts and a midriff tank top in October when we're all in coats.

http://www.naperville-ghosts.com/

But really its for entertainment value and since he's a good story teller its entertaining. I consider it independent art like going to a planetarium and watching a shitty light show supports the arts.

MajorRawne said:

While two of the people involved found the episode confusing and disturbing, one of them - the one who'd been driving alone - changed after this experience. He became introverted, withdrawn and fearful. He has always said that "something" had happened but he didn't know what. To this day he refuses to speculate, or even tell the story. He has never sought any kind of help for it.

*Outer Limits theme plays*

Has he examined his body carefully? He should get a friend or someone to carefully examine his body for marks or things out of the ordinary. Maybe a doctor. Sounds like a classic alien abduction story. Did he start having any particularly weird or disturbing dreams since the incident?

This happened to me recently.
The other week, I had re-discovered a dream interpretation book that I had. It had belonged to my friend of many years, who had passed away in 2007 from a heroin overdose. I brought it to my mother’s house with me, and I was reading some of the interpretations to her, because she’s into that. But when I told my mother of the book’s history, she warned me not to mess around with it. She claimed that things like that open doors, and invite trouble. I being an atheist for most of my life, thought nothing of it; disregarding the notion as ridiculous. The very same night, I had a disturbing dream. I was walking through my house at night, and I looked out of the window, down towards the backyard. I saw, what I thought was an Indian woman (from India), trying to get inside of my house through the basement. Later I had determined it must have been a Gypsy; she had the attire. Then as I looked down at her, I saw that I had a pistol in my hand, and I pointed towards her. Then I shouted “Get out!”, but in the very next instant, she replied with the same, with a voice similar to mine. After that, she appeared to leap out of my yard into the next door neighbor’s.

The next day, I looked into what it meant in the dream book. Both the entrees, “Gypsy” and “Gun” were on the same page; and were the only two entries on it! The book said, to see a gypsy in your dream meant uncertainty in your future. Moreover, to see a gun in your dream always means a bad omen, no matter who is using it. Therefore, the book predicted that there was an uncertain and negative experience coming my way. That week I was promoted at my job, and I thought to myself, “looks like the book was wrong”. However, later that week, I had almost got into some serious trouble with managing an account in my department; thankfully, it was eventually resolved. However, the anxiety from it, I though was going to give me a heart attack. Then later that week, I was driving home, and I got into an accident. However, despite the fact my bumper was slightly cracked, the person I hit was virtually undamaged. There was also a few other things that happened to me, that were unusual, and negative prior to this.

After I came back home from the car accident, I took the dream book, and ripped it to pieces. Then I threw it away up the block from my house in a public trash can. Despite the fact that I am an atheist, like other have told me, it’s better not to mess around the possessions of the dead. This is especially the case if those possessions are of an occult origin. My deceased friend originally found that book outside, by a church that is said to be haunted. He lived accross the street from the church, and he would claim to see supernatural beings in his apartment. He dreamt of angels with black wings looking down on him from his ceiling. Also, I recall he would see black apparitions in his mirror ( I also had his mirror. but my my mother and girlfriend forced me to through it away. I used to joke with them, that it was a portal to hell.)

On a side note: my mother claims that her house is haunted. Particularly in her bedroom. Before my family bought the house, the old woman that owned it before us, was found dead (of natural causes) in between my mother's bed room, and my old walk-in closet. One day, I though I saw my brother in the corner of my eye, travel from my closet to my mom's room; I thought I saw the top of his head. I went in, and there was nobody there. But I am certain I saw something. After that, I began to think, maybe my mother is right about her claims. She said that the ghost isn't malevolent, but she insists on staying in her house. Maybe she likes the company of us being there.