Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lizardcommando

20th Anniversary Doomguy Figure

It's a shame there was never an action figure of Doom Guy, I would've preferred something like that over this goofy looking thing.

Yeah, I'm going to say no. If it was a pewter figurine of Doomguy from the Ultimate Doom poster I'd go for it. As it is, I don't really need a chibi bastardization of Doomguy on my desk.

Looks pretty lazy, that BFG is like something out of a cereal box indeed.

Avoozl said:

It's a shame there was never an action figure of Doom Guy, I would've preferred something like that over this goofy looking thing.

You could always apply a paintjob to an Action Man or G.I. Joe one...

Even TF2 has better stuff and it's only a 7 year old game. All we get are cheapo figures and crappy doomguy plushies. (cacodemon and PE plushies are OK I guess)

"How can we commemmorate a game of violence and Satanism, played primarily by aggressive adult males? I know! We''ll make a super-cute doll out of the main character! Self-respecting men will buy them in droves!"

I personally blame those who constantly make My Little Pony references. We've all been tarred by the brush of ultimate failure.

MajorRawne said:

"How can we commemmorate a game of violence and Satanism, played primarily by aggressive adult males? I know! We''ll make a super-cute doll out of the main character! Self-respecting men will buy them in droves!"

I personally blame those who constantly make My Little Pony references. We've all been tarred by the brush of ultimate failure.

To be fair, the majority of the gaming community as a whole are man-children, so they're right in their choice. It's just the core of the Doom community is made up of functioning adults and not twenty-something internet bloggers.

Or maybe they visited the ZDoom forums.

MajorRawne said:

"How can we commemmorate a game of violence and Satanism, played primarily by aggressive adult males?"

If they used Doomworld as a "marketing research sample" for their target audience (which would explain many accounts obviously belonging to trolls asking strange questions), it's quited likely that they ended up with quite a different opinion on the game and those who -still- play it.

Technician said:

It's just the core of the Doom community is made up of functioning adults and not twenty-something internet bloggers.

Is it, really?

Since when was Doom based on Satanism? I thought it was just another made up version of hell.

Awesome polystone statue of doomguy with demons would be nicer than this, check out how blizzard promotes their characters like diablo 3 barbarian or tychus from starcraft 2 with outstanding statues.

Avoozl said:

Since when was Doom based on Satanism? I thought it was just another made up version of hell.

Ever since OH LOOK PENTAGRAMS AND DEMON FACES AND INVERTED CROSSES AND FIRE AND BRIMSTONE AND TORTURED SOULS EVERYWHERE! SIX-SIX-SIX THE NUMBER OF THE BEAST, THE ONE FOR YOU AND ME! LUCIFER DOMINE MEUS!!!

..ahem....

Rather than a "made up" version of Hell, I'd say it's a pretty faithful videogame adaptation of all that stereotypical "Heavy Metal Satanism" imagery, which was popular in the late 80s and early 90s. Since id's team were probably all metalheads to some degree, I don't think they had to study medieval demonology books and warlock grimoires, nor to think of some ad-hoc version of Hell to get inspiration for their "Hell" theme.

Maes said:

Ever since OH LOOK PENTAGRAMS AND DEMON FACES AND INVERTED CROSSES AND FIRE AND BRIMSTONE AND TORTURED SOULS EVERYWHERE! SIX-SIX-SIX THE NUMBER OF THE BEAST, THE ONE FOR YOU AND ME! LUCIFER DOMINE MEUS!!!

..ahem....

Rather than a "made up" version of Hell, I'd say it's a pretty faithful videogame adaptation of all that stereotypical "Heavy Metal Satanism" imagery, which was popular in the late 80s and early 90s. Since id's team were probably all metalheads to some degree, I don't think they had to study medieval demonology books and warlock grimoires, nor to think of some ad-hoc version of Hell to get inspiration for their "Hell" theme.

They were metalheads, just look at some old office photos were romero and others are moshing at work and they had stacks of heavy metal albums

Well, there you have it then. You could even say that Doom, despite being a 90s game, had quite a bit of its roots in the 80s Metal scene. So it was at the same time innovative and "retro", even on its release date ;-)

Clonehunter said:

I just want a pewter impse figure.

They are listed fairly regularly on ebay for 20-30$.
Doomguy polystone statue based on DOOM cover art, that would save my day

Maes said:

Doom, despite being a 90s game, had quite a bit of its roots in the 80s Metal scene.

This is one aspect of the original Doom's charm that was not transfer over to Doom 3. Instead, it was more similar to the contemporary metal of 2000s. Which I guess makes sense for the time it was made, but also displeases me personally in a matter of taste. Those heavy guitar riffs in Doom 3's intro don't sound as memorable as Bobby Prince's metal midi songs. But not only were thrash metal bands, like slayer and megadeth emulated; the original doom's soundtrack also took inspiration from horror movies, like the Cannibal Holocaust OST.

I'd really want to see a miniature souvenir of an Arachnotron, and a miniature souvenir of either a Baron of Hell or a Bruiserdemon.
And if anyone ever questions me about buying something like this at my current age then I would just explain the truth: "They weren't available on the market back when I was a child."
Just like the Sailor Moon manga books, which weren't even translated into neither the English nor the Russian nor the Ukrainian language yet back when I was of the "proper age" to be reading that stuff.
Some things are truly worth the wait. *sigh*

188DarkRevived said:

I'd really want to see a miniature souvenir of an Arachnotron, and a miniature souvenir of either a Baron of Hell or a Bruiserdemon.

If Fraggle still has it you could ask what he'd accept for his angry arachnotron, which has probably been repaired by now. Barons of Hell turn up on eBay now and then.

GreyGhost said:

If Fraggle still has it you could ask what he'd accept for his angry arachnotron, which has probably been repaired by now. Barons of Hell turn up on eBay now and then.

^WOW! It seems that he even wrote a poem about it, much in the same tribute fashion that I wrote a poem about Sailor Jupiter several years ago.
Despite being disagreeable with him on certain topics, we actually share some common ground.

Yeah, I'd love to see that model painted in full colour! I doubt that he'd want to part from it though, especially after reading how only a limited supply of those was ever built.

There was some interesting arachnotron project going on: A limited run of 3d printed arachnotrons with some ridiculous pricetag:

10cm high model is cost 1500euros
15cm high model is cost 2000euros
20cm high model is cost 2500euros

I saved couple pictures from my mail, I heard from this project from a german doom collector. Has anyone else heard from this? I also had picture of the full model but have lost it.

188DarkRevived said:

^WOW! It seems that he even wrote a poem about it, much in the same tribute fashion that I wrote a poem about Sailor Jupiter several years ago.
Despite being disagreeable with him on certain topics, we actually share some common ground.

lol no