Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
ForeverViLe

A new project after more than a year

I haven't mapped about a year and two or three months due to lack of time, well I still don't have much time to map but I'm still working on a new project slowly.

My project is still nameless, the idea is typical- small 5 maps themed episodes, with cchest4 texture pack, I'm currently working on the first 5 maps that are inspired from Plutonia.

I'm posting the first map- Widespread.
I used many basic monster fights that I've encountered when I played the iwads and some wads like AV, scythe, etc.
This map's difficulty is medium at least for me, there isn't much ammo, you don't have any armor until a late part of the map.
I played it slowly and UV maxed it in 8:27

NOT RECOMMENEDED ON NORMAL OR EASY DIFFICULTY BECAUSE IT'D BE LAME ON THESE DIFFICULTIES.

Screenies:

download
https://www.mediafire.com/?cu94cmm4j35v9c2

lol I was like wtf when I was forced to fight an AV and 4 revs with just sg and 20 shells. On the second attempt I found ssg and thought that now it's gonna be a piece of cake, but then I was like no, still impossible because the AV keeps resurrecting revs faster than I kill them. On the third attempt I was lucky: the AV got angry at one of the revs so I was able to kill the rest without him resurrecting anything. Still not sure what's the intended strategy if there is one, I won that fight just by chance.

So that part was challenging and cool obviously. The rest... ehh, cute visuals but most of the monsters appear in front of the player, which hardly leads to any interesting situations. Like you can just back off a little bit and easily kill them from safety. The long section with the spectres was the worst in this aspect (but I guess they play a more interesting role if you let that AV resurrect them).

I hope you will be able to come up with more creative monster placement in the future maps. Would be nice to see some big open areas too and not just cramped hallways/etc. Oh and btw I think it was a bad idea to merge these sectors tagged 18 because one of them lowers too far now.

Memfis said:

lol I was like wtf when I was forced to fight an AV and 4 revs with just sg and 20 shells. On the second attempt I found ssg and thought that now it's gonna be a piece of cake, but then I was like no, still impossible because the AV keeps resurrecting revs faster than I kill them. On the third attempt I was lucky: the AV got angry at one of the revs so I was able to kill the rest without him resurrecting anything. Still not sure what's the intended strategy if there is one, I won that fight just by chance.

So that part was challenging and cool obviously. The rest... ehh, cute visuals but most of the monsters appear in front of the player, which hardly leads to any interesting situations. Like you can just back off a little bit and easily kill them from safety. The long section with the spectres was the worst in this aspect (but I guess they play a more interesting role if you let that AV resurrect them).

I hope you will be able to come up with more creative monster placement in the future maps. Would be nice to see some big open areas too and not just cramped hallways/etc. Oh and btw I think it was a bad idea to merge these sectors tagged 18 because one of them lowers too far now.

When I playtested my map I ran upstairs once the revenants&AV rise, the AV usually stayed near the switch and the revenants were chasing me so I killed them with fists thanks to the berserk.

Maybe I'll change some monster placements, the spectres part can be painful if an arch vile teleports back to one of the rooms after you get ti the switch and the imps are delaying you from getting to that AV.
I used imps because I didn't want to use too many revenants in the first map.

meapineapple said:

Here's my first three demos, before I decided I'm not good enough for this map and threw in the towel.

After watching your demos I found out that the player could get stuck in the super shotgun room, I'll fix it once I make a few changes in the monsters placement.
The map isn't that difficult especially on normal&easy, you could keep the hell knight alive in the first room since you return to this room in a later part of the map to grab the blue key.