Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
geo

Ouya Commercials

I saw an Ouya commercial this week on Comedy Central. I'm not sure whether to laugh or cry. Free to try games, only $100! Ouya!

I remember some time last year a Gamestop display with a tower of Ouyas and only 3 missing. The employee said don't buy it the 3 that were purchased were brought back claiming defective and sent back to the company and the rest that are unsold will just get shipped back in a few weeks.

This is almost the commercial that I saw >>

Only there was no filter over the people.

Its starting to remind me of the knock off consoles.

To use the yt tag, remove the http://www.youtube.com/watch?v= part.

Haven't these been on sale for ages? My limited understanding is that they're basically Android games except you pay £100 for the console. Why wouldn't I just stick with my HTC One, ePSXe and one of those Bluetooth game controllers?

I can hook my phone to the TV wirelessly. I'm not sure America is the right area to market in.

I've never seen an Ouya, but Boingo likes his. Seems like a nice way for people who like controllers and no hassle to play Android games. Probably cheaper than geo's phone too!

The really low barrier to entry is the most interesting part. Maybe some good indie games you play with your friends in the living room will come from that.

Of course, since just about anybody can publish games on it, you'll also get the usual sea of crap and copyright infringement.

Sadly my phone was $30 as of January. Samsung Galaxy something?

All apps get into copyright infringement. No one cares. Just make money. Oh but you have the catch of 'its a free game, I don't charge money for it.' But the ads get you $50,000 a day.

I just saw an article bragging about how someone paid someone $3,000 to make a free game that nets $100,000 per day in ads.

Aliotroph? said:

Of course, since just about anybody can publish games on it, you'll also get the usual sea of crap and copyright infringement.

Shouldn't Zenimax take a look at this, as I am seeing Quake assets with a poorly converted Quake 2 blaster in one of those images.

geo said:

Sadly my phone was $30 as of January. Samsung Galaxy something?

All apps get into copyright infringement. No one cares. Just make money. Oh but you have the catch of 'its a free game, I don't charge money for it.' But the ads get you $50,000 a day.

I just saw an article bragging about how someone paid someone $3,000 to make a free game that nets $100,000 per day in ads.

$100,000 per day? that is INHUMAN! I do not even get that much in a year. such people are dangerous to society.. they have to be removed.

I was briefly intrigued by the Ouya, but then I realized between my PC, my Wii, my 360, my phone, and my 3DS, dear God I have a lot of options and there really aren't any gaps that Ouya fills. Shit, after hooking my PC up to my widescreen TV, I realized Steam pretty much covered anything my current consoles were lacking in when it comes to TV gaming. Good lord, I may have too many options, as I have far too many games that don't get played. I just need to get a wireless gamepad for my PC and I'll be pretty much set for any gaming situation I could imagine.

Nintendo could pretty much re-release the Gamecube and it would be more successful than this crappy console.

Aliotroph? said:

People are really fucking stupid. Many of the responses for the game which uses the quake engine, graphics, and is actually being sold are just "WOW THIS REMINDS ME OF QUAKE I LOVE OLD FPS GAMES! BUYING!"

EDIT: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=bl_sr_mobile-apps?_encoding=UTF8&field-brandtextbin=Studio%203D%20Mobile&node=2350149011 This company is pretty much the Mike Hardy of mobile. Not Ouya, just the one making these ripoff games.

It is not a crappy console.

I have had my Ouya since June, and I am very happy with it. I have been so happy with it that I bought Ouyas for my nieces and nephews for Christmas this year.

My only problem with Ouya is the list of games is now so long (almost 700 games now) that I am having trouble deciding on which games I should download.

I am really hoping somebody will port GZDooM over to Ouya. That would be sweet.

Also, since there is a version of MAME (Multiple Arcade Machine Emulator) for Ouya, I am seriously considering using another Ouya as a MAME machine, instead of a PC.

In case you don't know, a MAME machine is, click on the links below for more information.

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/features/how_build_kickass_mame_arcade_rig_old_pc_pics

http://www.instructables.com/id/MAME-Cabinet-in-4-key-steps/

http://www.instructables.com/id/DIY-Home-Arcade-Machine/

I'm out of the loop, but aren't most Android games simple touchscreen experiences? Won't they seem too simple for handheld game controllers — if they support them in the first place?

Several early Ouya games were ports of Android games, and they were changed to work with the controler, and there was no problem. Since then a large number of games have been made for Ouya and are made to work with the controler from the start.

Havent seen ouya for sale here and the price would more something like 150€ to 200€ if it's 99$ in states

Aliotroph? said:

That might actually fall under fair use, as I'm pretty sure it's a joke. The description/title doesn't even refer to it by the same name more than once.

[edit]Oh, and by the way, Ouya's "Killer App" game Towerfall is getting a PS4 port too, so even less of a reason to bother with the thing.

printz said:

I'm out of the loop, but aren't most Android games simple touchscreen experiences? Won't they seem too simple for handheld game controllers — if they support them in the first place?

Lots of Android games either support controllers these days or can have touch emulated by sticks and a buttons because of things like nVidia's Shield and such.

Sokoro said:

$100,000 per day? that is INHUMAN! I do not even get that much in a year. such people are dangerous to society.. they have to be removed.

Supposedly, there's a game Supercell that makes 2.4 million per day. Actually, that's not the only game. There was an article on another game that made $2.4 million a day *cough* microtransactions, but I can't find it with all the Supercell talk. Simpsons online game made $23 million in 3 months and has now hit $100 million. Microtransactions, they just fucking work.

There was an episode of millionaire matchmaker with an App millionaire straight from Africa. So I did a search on him, he doesn't program, he just hires programmers to make his company millions. Kind of like the original Enix company. The investor knew nothing about programming, so he held a contest and hired the winner to make Dragon Warrior.