Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Professor Sir

What is your most shameful Doom moment/death?

As mentioned above, what is your darkest moment of Doom? It doesn't necessarily have to be a death, but it could be.

Probably my most shameful moment is when I was playing multi-player on Dues Vult II. We were blazing through Crow's Nest, when I got side-tracked by something non-computerific. I had survived all those projectiles, only to be killed by ONE FRICKIN IMP. It still haunts me to this day.

Probably something along the line of barely surviving a huge fight, only to make one bad step, fall into lava/slime and die a shameful death.

Was really far into some WAD (that I can't remember) and I got a random Blue Screen then. Hadn't saved on that particular map either, that really sucked.

Being killed by a zombieman, I guess?

Also dying near the end of MAP08

Probably surviving multiple volleys of rockets from a cyberdemon, or an attack by a few arch-viles only to be killed by a zombieman or something.

It happens more than I like.

Recently falling to the chaingun toxic pit in E2M2 for some strange reason.

Getting sniped & finished by a lone zombieman from across the level when low on health. Bonus points if the Zombieman gets to do his maximum damage -_-

Also, having exactly 80HP and getting killed by a single Revenant rocket.

Maes said:

Getting sniped & finished by a lone zombieman from across the level when low on health. Bonus points if the Zombieman gets to do his maximum damage -_-

Also, having exactly 80HP and getting killed by a single Revenant rocket.

These aren't shameful moments, Maes. These are bullshit moments that have me screaming "WHY?" every time it happens. And if I am playing online, it happens a lot.

I'll never forget that time I was headbutted by a lost soul and my pants fell down. Oh the embarrassment.

circle strafing with a rocket launcher in hand and firing into a cluster of barrels near some zombiemen; only to take yourself out with a moving barrel

strafing through doorframe sideways with rocket launcher and shooting the doorframe instead of the target

(mine almost always involve the rocket launcher)

During co-op play, acting as 'bait' by attacking a Cyberdemon and retreating so that another player can rush it with the BFG...

...only to get snagged on a decoration and end the day with a delicious lunch of high explosives and whatever the fuck else is being thrown at me.

cyberdemon fights are usually the most embarrassing, because I tend to get more careless the closer they get to dying. Usually my final rocket kills him the same time his last one kills me. Also sometimes I die rushing carelessly through Doom 2 MAP02 because of all the shotgun guys. It always seems easier than it really is.

BaronOfStuff said:

These aren't shameful moments, Maes. These are bullshit moments that have me screaming "WHY?" every time it happens. And if I am playing online, it happens a lot.

Has it happened in one of your videos yet?

Every time I mis-judge the speed of a door and blow myself up with a rocket. :/

Platinum Shell said:

Has it happened in one of your videos yet?

Weirdly enough it doesn't actually happen when I'm recording videos; thanks to IDE's demo record function however, I have fucking hundreds of Skulltag/Zandronum demos with examples. Hundreds.

My most recent shameful death was when I was rocket spamming a horde of monsters and of all things, a Lost Soul just had to get in my way and catch the rocket. However, it wasn't the splash damage that killed me. Moments after, the lone survivor of the rocket spam was an shotgunner with lousy aim who opened fire at me and missed...but hit a nearby barrel behind me and that was the end of me for that round.

FuzzballFox said:

Rocket into Lost Soul. FML

This, especially on Tower of Babel. I always manage to do it a few times. Once I managed to get two rockets out though, and the first one hit a soul and killed me in the blast while the second rocket finished the Cyberdemon. I don't remember if I had to restart or the level ended.

Taking on a horde of monsters with a plasma gun only to be taken out by a barrel that some chaingunner managed to get.

Aiming at a distant monster with rocket launcher and not seeing the fucking Spectre right in front of me.

Running away from a Cyberdemon and being shot in the back, more horrifying than shameful.

Death by crushing ceiling....I fucking hate crushing ceilings!!!!

Pulling the trigger too soon with RL while opening a door or strafing.

Lost soul to face + RL

Spectre + RL

Killing the spiderdemon in MAP06 in DOOM II and right after I realized a switch behind me that activated the crusher.

GoatLord said:

Not sure if anything can beat dying on top of a soul/megasphere.

How is that possible? You mean a situation where something kills you and the already dead body is hurled on top of a powerup? :D

dew said:

This one got me laughing loudly.

Shameful moment? I have them often. For example recently, in Epic 2 MAP06, I've tried to dodge mancubus fireballs in such a way that I got hit by almost all of them. But most shameful are the occasions when I fail a challenge which seems trivial, like being drained of all health by a small group of low-tier monsters. Or to fail such a challenge repeatedly.