Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
geo

Lost 'Asian Edition', the 777 that went down between Malaysia and China

Over the weekend there was a 777 that went down between Malaysia and Beijing, China. Search parties think they find debris, but it never turns out to be debris. Now they've found 2 or 4 people have had stolen passports, so there's the possibility of terrorism or hijackers.

Since the plane hasn't been found and nothing was indicated to be wrong over the radio, this could be the Asian version of 'Lost.'

What are your thoughts? Bomb? plane turned around and crashed? Aliens? Radio failure followed by crash? 2 giant mirrors making the plane think its upside-down (it was the plot of a Tailspin episode in the 80s-90s). Asian version of Bermuda Triangle?

Before start talking about aliens or the "Asian Bermuda Triangle", we shouldn't forget logic, and stick to what we know until we have more relevant info.

From the article:

BBC said:

An Air France jet flying from Brazil to France vanished into the Atlantic Ocean on 1 June 2009, with the loss of all 228 people on board.

Debris was spotted the following day but it took nearly two years to locate the flight recorders and remains of the fuselage, deep on the ocean floor. The waters off Vietnam and in the Malacca straits are much shallower.

Flight recorders, or "black boxes" as they are often known, emit ultrasonic signals that can be detected underwater. Under good conditions, the signals can be detected from several hundred miles away.

But without knowing the trajectory of a plane as it went down or fully understanding wind and wave conditions if it crashed into water, searchers sometimes end up criss-crossing huge areas looking for relatively small pieces of wreckage, the Wall Street Journal notes in a things-to-know piece.

It didn't crash. Just got hijacked and landed somewhere.

Am I a bad person for hoping that they find the plane 50 years later, intact and perfectly preserved inside a broken-off piece of the antarctic shelf?

Chinese satellite thinks it found debris. China, the wez has technology too country

Why were there no demands from the terrorists then? Unless they want the plane for another 9/11, but I believe all countries are on their toes now and preparing for such an eventuality.

Patrol1985 said:

Unless they want the plane for another 9/11, but I believe all countries are on their toes now and preparing for such an eventuality.

Wouldn't passengers still die in case of an attempted kamikaze event?

Patrol1985 said:

Why were there no demands from the terrorists then? Unless they want the plane for another 9/11, but I believe all countries are on their toes now and preparing for such an eventuality.

Terrorists have demands? Isn't that hostage takers? Terrorists want terror.

Doominator2 said:

obviously the plane flew too high and ended up somewhere on the moon.

Good call.

I like where this is going.

Perhaps this is how it got there.

Now police are thinking it was an inside job with the pilots and ground crew. They're speculating now, plane wasn't hijacked, it was stolen. Problem is the 2 pilots never asked to work together and the ground crew would have had to disable or damage the tracking devices.

I'm not sure which is worse for the passengers. Being blown up, kidnapped, or stranded in a floating plane for 2 weeks.

Last theory I heard, is that it was well within reach (and headed to) the Diego Garcia USA military air base, and that it was promptly shot down, with at least the USA authorities knowing full well what's going on, and with all the searches and statements being just a coverup.

My best guess is that some sort of chemical leak on board slowly poisoned everyone. One of the pilots would have entered false coordinates in a confused state, and everyone would have fallen asleep shortly thereafter. It seems consistent with carbon monoxide poisoning, but I can't imagine how that could happen on a jumbo jet.

A situation somewhat similar to poisoning has happened in the past, where the plane depressurized and everyone asphyxiated.

One thing that drives me nuts is the certainty with which everyone keeps speculating about the plane's fate. All guesses are just that - guesses. Yet the news keeps dragging out "experts" who say with 100% conviction that they know what happened - and are so quick to debunk all other theories.

I realize it all goes back to a fundamental aspect of human nature - few phrases are more hated than the phrase, "I don't know." I just wish people would recognize that fact and take that into account before latching onto every theory under the sun and swearing it's the right answer.

AndrewB said:

My best guess is that some sort of chemical leak on board slowly poisoned everyone. One of the pilots would have entered false coordinates in a confused state, and everyone would have fallen asleep shortly thereafter. It seems consistent with carbon monoxide poisoning, but I can't imagine how that could happen on a jumbo jet.

Well, there's a precedent.

geekmarine said:

Yet the news keeps dragging out "experts" who say with 100% conviction that they know what happened - and are so quick to debunk all other theories.

Well why, even Courtney Love, of all people, had a shot at it O_o

That's Internet Democracy for you...aptly described by the Greek proverb: "Even the horsefly grew an asshole and shat on the entire world".

Megalyth said:

The langoliers must have gotten them by now.

Yeah I keep thinking that too. I grew up hearing about Langoliers. Then King made a book about it. I recently tried finding the origin of Langoliers, but from all I can find, King invented it. I grew up thinking they were Scottish origin.

Looks like there is debris found off the coast of Australia... but no one found anything yet. Meh. Another country claiming to have found it.

There are so many countries looking for it that it makes me think Boeing has a billion dollar reward on who finds it.